Hacking Downgrade options for Brand New N3DS XL on 9.9?

Shadx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a brand new, N3DS XL with 9.9 firmware. I want to downgrade. The last new one I had was when 10.3 was the latest FW. Then I was able to just update to 10.3 and use what I believe is called browser hax. Can I do the same with newest FW? I thought I read somewhere 10.4 stopped it, but is again possible in 10.5. Please let me know what the easiest method would be. Thanks.

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10.4 and 5 support Browserhax but downgrade was patched starting at 10.4, stay at 9.9 to downgrade, have you use the browser?, don't or you will get a update nag , find a Dns to block it,once you get it you can't use the browser

Nikolay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10.4 and 5 support Browserhax but downgrade was patched starting at 10.4, stay at 9.9 to downgrade, have you use the browser?, don't or you will get a update nag , find a Dns to block it,once you get it you can't use the browser

He can still bypass the update nag if he gets into the browser fast enough and have the browserhax page load, had to do it yesterday.

Shadx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He can still bypass the update nag if he gets into the browser fast enough and have the browserhax page load, had to do it yesterday.
Oh Didnt See he had a N3ds , Then He should be fine
I haven't connected it to the internet yet. Didn't want to risk doing anything stupid just yet. So I shouldn't update to the newest FW first? I didn't know browserhax works on 9.9. At the time 10.3 was out my friend told me that I must update to 10.3 first The way I did it before was that I used browserhax and installed menuhax. Thanks.

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't connected it to the internet yet. Didn't want to risk doing anything stupid just yet. So I shouldn't update to the newest FW first? I didn't know browserhax works on 9.9. At the time 10.3 was out my friend told me that I must update to 10.3 first The way I did it before was that I used browserhax and installed menuhax. Thanks.
If you want to downgrade then NO! 10.4 and the 10.5 was released , both patched downgrade but not Browserhax , if you want user land homebrew go ahead and update but if you want a downgrade stay at 9.9!

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you should be able to downgrade from 9.9 but you might just have to get cubic ninja or oot to get into homebrew to do it, what with the browser and all

Shadx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to downgrade then NO! 10.4 and the 10.5 was released , both patched downgrade but not Browserhax , if you want user land homebrew go ahead and update but if you want a downgrade stay at 9.9!
you should be able to downgrade from 9.9 but you might just have to get cubic ninja or oot to get into homebrew to do it, what with the browser and all
I don't have cubic ninja or a flash cartridge. So the final verdict is that I should stay at 9.9, try browserhax and menuhax and then should be able to downgrade?

Falkiner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't have cubic ninja or a flash cartridge. So the final verdict is that I should stay at 9.9, try browserhax and menuhax and then should be able to downgrade?

Yes, search for some tutorials about how to use SafeSysUpdater and SysUpdater to get more confident.

Shadx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, search for some tutorials about how to use SafeSysUpdater and SysUpdater to get more confident.

I downgraded before on another systems that also had 9.9 so I'm pretty familiar with the process. The tutorial I followed had said that browserhax only worked on 10.3 and to update if I was on anything lower, which I did at the time. Now that 10.5 was out I wasn't sure how accurate that tutorial was. If I can just do browserhax on 9.9 then it would obviously be much easier. Thanks for helping me out :)

Falkiner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I downgraded before on another systems that also had 9.9 so I'm pretty familiar with the process. The tutorial I followed had said that browserhax only worked on 10.3 and to update if I was on anything lower, which I did at the time. Now that 10.5 was out I wasn't sure how accurate that tutorial was. If I can just do browserhax on 9.9 then it would obviously be much easier. Thanks for helping me out :)

BrowserHax has a lot of versions, the best way is to scan the QRCode on this website, http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php , it will take to a page to determine the browserHax to use! :)

Reactions: Shadx

ulon

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, let me know if you manage to downgrade to 9.2

I also have a brand new N3DS in 9.9. I also had the update nag cos I'm a dumb cow. But as they mention up there, if you use the TUBEHAX proxy (search for it) and you are fast enough in the startup you can bypass it. You will have to try several times, or many times, but it works.

I went ahead and immediately installed menuhax (so keep it also in your SD, because that's the first thing you have to do once browserhax runs)

I can run the homebrew channel in my N3DS 9.9. I did this last Friday.

But downgrading ISN'T that easy.

First of all, it fails loads in N3DS. It seems to me that people with software greater than 10 and lower than 10.3 has been successful using the latest version of sysUpdate. Everytime I ran sysUpdate (I've tried several versions) it fails at a random point.

Beyond this is where you need a master degree in gbatemp to undestand what is going on: safeSysUpdate seems to work better for people in 9.3-9.9. Some reports issues. Then you mix in miniPasta for God knows what reason, then you see people first UPgrading to 10.3 and then DOWNgrading to 9.2 to bypass the issue with the lastest sysUpdate, and lastly you get scared with posts of people having softbricks and having to update to 10.5 and saying goodbye to the scene for some time....

I've got a gateway and I think I'll wait some weeks to see if they release something. If nothing moves after a couple of months, I guess I'll risk downgrading...

Anyways, let me know how it goes!

Last edited by ulon,
Reactions: Shadx

Shadx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, let me know if you manage to downgrade to 9.2

I also have a brand new N3DS in 9.9. I also had the update nag cos I'm a dumb cow. But as they mention up there, if you use the TUBEHAX proxy (search for it) and you are fast enough in the startup you can bypass it. You will have to try several times, or many times, but it works.

I went ahead and immediately installed menuhax (so keep it also in your SD, because that's the first thing you have to do once browserhax runs)

I can run the homebrew channel in my N3DS 9.9. I did this last Friday.

But downgrading ISN'T that easy.

First of all, it fails loads in N3DS. It seems to me that people with software greater than 10 and lower than 10.3 has been successful using the latest version of sysUpdate. Everytime I ran sysUpdate (I've tried several versions) it fails at a random point.

Beyond this is where you need a master degree in gbatemp to undestand what is going on: safeSysUpdate seems to work better for people in 9.3-9.9. Some reports issues. Then you mix in miniPasta for God knows what reason, then you see people first UPgrading to 10.3 and then DOWNgrading to 9.2 to bypass the issue with the lastest sysUpdate, and lastly you get scared with posts of people having softbricks and having to update to 10.5 and saying goodbye to the scene for some time....

I've got a gateway and I think I'll wait some weeks to see if they release something. If nothing moves after a couple of months, I guess I'll risk downgrading...

Anyways, let me know how it goes!
Might try it in the next couple days. I'll let you know.

ulon

Trophies
XP
Country
@Redirr. I'm afraid not, once you get the nag in O3DS you are out of luck :(
Keep looking for a cheap OOT (because cube ninja is just ridiculously expensive). Go to your local gamestop or something, maybe you are lucky.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best option is wait for GW to release their new shit that supports up to 10.3. Easiest but costs you 70 bucks. If you downgrade and something goes wrong you might be screwed and will have to update to 10.5.

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've just recently bought a N3DS on 9.6 and gone through the downgrade & CFW process so thought i'd chime in to what helped me ultimately:

• Check out this link here - http://wololo.net/2016/01/04/3ds-system-software-downgrade-tutorial/ that really helped me to downgrade.
    • It's worth noting that i actually ended up UPGRADING to 10.3 before performing the complete downgrade but i'm pretty sure you can downgrade straight from 9.9 to 9.2. Just follow the steps in there and you'll be absolutely fine. Don't worry about CFW at THIS point - just get it downgraded
  • Once you've successfully downgraded to 9.2 - do a full system format (i did anyways and it helped give me a clean canvas) then follow this:
Hope this helps you out :)

Falkiner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've just recently bought a N3DS on 9.6 and gone through the downgrade & CFW process so thought i'd chime in to what helped me ultimately:

• Check out this link here - http://wololo.net/2016/01/04/3ds-system-software-downgrade-tutorial/ that really helped me to downgrade.
    • It's worth noting that i actually ended up UPGRADING to 10.3 before performing the complete downgrade but i'm pretty sure you can downgrade straight from 9.9 to 9.2. Just follow the steps in there and you'll be absolutely fine. Don't worry about CFW at THIS point - just get it downgraded
  • Once you've successfully downgraded to 9.2 - do a full system format (i did anyways and it helped give me a clean canvas) then follow this:
Hope this helps you out :)

Hey, you've updated to 10.3 with SysUpdater right?

Also to downgrade have you used SysUpdater or SafeSysUpdater?

Thanks!

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did upgrade using safe sysupdater yes my apologies i should have mentioned that. Just get the right 'UPDATE' files from THAT site (for your specific region and the 10.3 update) and using safe sysupdater you can perform an upgrade.

Again i should echo what other people say here and say please do so at your own risk but to be fair mine ran through like a breeze after 1 or 2 attempts.

The safe sysupdater should be linked on the first link i provided.

Falkiner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I did upgrade using safe sysupdater yes my apologies i should have mentioned that. Just get the right 'UPDATE' files from THAT site (for your specific region and the 10.3 update) and using safe sysupdater you can perform an upgrade.

Again i should echo what other people say here and say please do so at your own risk but to be fair mine ran through like a breeze after 1 or 2 attempts.

The safe sysupdater should be linked on the first link i provided.

I bought my N3DS yesterday and tried downgrading from 9.6, I got a Soft-Brick and had to restore my system, now it's updated ;/

I guess on the next time I will update to 10.3, looks like got more chances of success, and will use the SafeSys only to verify if the update files are ok.

And will downgrade with SysUpdater

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr