Downgrade from 7.0.0 with no previous cfw?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by emmaxx, Feb 10, 2019.

1. emmaxx
    OP

emmaxx Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2016
    United States
    I saw conflicting answers to this question so I was hoping someone could steer me right, I have a switch that I bought plaster year and I'm able to boot into RCM with it, but i updated it to 7.0.0. Can I just follow these two guides to downgrade to 6.2 and install cfw? Its the two at guide.sdsetup and guide.sdsetup/manualchoidowngrade

Thanks
    signed an old guy trying to help his son-

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can downgrade, but you will always have to use RCM and Hekate to launch the operating system after coldbooting the system. If you keep your Switch in sleep mode when you're not using it, it's not much of a problem.

Without RCM and Hekate, your Switch will refuse to boot when you power it on. Once CFW supports 7.0.0, you can update back to 7.0.0, and everything will go back to normal.

Last edited by Lacius, Feb 10, 2019
    MarkDarkness and Flow4all like this.
  3. Flow4all

Flow4all Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2019
    Spain
    Hi, I am in the same spot but I prefer to wait for some days instead of have to downgrade. The 7.0 atmosphere support is coming soon. (Or atleast the dev said so)

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you can wait a week or so, you should just wait.

5. kkcheong

kkcheong GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2018
    Malaysia
    Probably 7.0 is unhackable

6. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    ???

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Anything is hackable. There's not much standing in the way of 7.0 support with full access to the system, it'll just take some time.
    Just because you can boot into RCM does't mean anything. All systems can boot RCM, but the iPatched ones can't actually launch payloads. Try loading a payload like Hekate and see if it will boot.

Lacius likes this.
  8. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Fan

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    Umm no an update to change should be coming out soon.

9. wurstpistole

wurstpistole Proud TX supporter

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Stop spreading bull like this. Atmosphere already runs on 7.0, same day or the day after it was released. It's just not a public way yet since some keys have to be provided that can not yet be pulled from the console itself by the CFW during boot.

Adran_Marit, nachuz and Lacius like this.
  10. emmaxx
    OP

emmaxx Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2016
    United States
    I guess I'm just too old for this stuff. I thought I followed the guides to a T but I did everything twice now and I keep getting an error 2162-0002 at the last step of the downgrade part. Thankfully I made a backup at the beginning as the guide suggested so I'll just restore that in a few hours and wait it out. Thanks for the help!

11. linkenski

linkenski GBAtemp Fan

Aug 6, 2008
    Denmark
    https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/manualchoidowngrade
    I followed this ^ guide step by step and I got 6.1 (You have to manually find certain firmwares and things not provided in the tutorial)

Also, take a NAND backup before you do any of this, using RCM mode. I used a piece of tinfoil, which I know is risky but if you know how big it has to be and how it has to fit, it's safe, and it works.

I would recommend waiting until various CFWs and homebrew are compatible with 7.0.0 though, as I don't think it'll be too long. Then all you need to do to access it is make your switch enter RCM and load up the homebrew.

Last edited by linkenski, Feb 10, 2019
    Lacius likes this.
  12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It's already hacked, and we already know what the CFW update will look like.

13. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    What does that mean?

14. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    We know how it will be implemented.

TSEC will run a bootloader that is encrypted with the TSEC keys, and the bootloader will chainload Hekate.

Last edited by Lacius, Feb 10, 2019
  15. kkcheong

kkcheong GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2018
    Malaysia
    But many I was told the space to redirect to cfw are limited. Hence the cfw cannot be loaded

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That's bullshit. Scires say that 7.0 have limited space to redirect to cfw. Thus cfw cannot run.

16. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    What exactly did he say? He has already posted a screenshot....

Lacius likes this.
  17. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Lol dude you've been fed a tonne of bull

We've seen videos scires has posted of 7.0 cfw, byok

He is making a payload to chain boot hekate to make it harder to detect the exploit used to gen the keys

Yes it can be done, read the guide 3 times over before you attempt to do it, and if you run into any issues DM me here or on discord @adran#1932. I'm more than happy to help you in this process

Lacius likes this.
  18. wurstpistole

wurstpistole Proud TX supporter

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    If you don't know what you are talking about, you should maybe reduce your participation to a minimum.

Lacius likes this.
  19. Minkaxy

Minkaxy Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2018
    Thailand
    So it mean I can downgrade and sleep mode still works?

20. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese 100%!
    You are ignorant. No it is already hacked. If you don't know what you are saying then don't posted falsely information here ok ?

Yes, it should be in few days or so. So is ReiNX. ReiNX's 7.0.0 is now partially supported and should be soon as well.

If you downgrade to 6.2.o OFW (if you previously had 6.2.0 then you can run Switch normal without RCM. Once you use RCM/autoRCM then you can send payload to install CFW.