Downgrade from 4.0 to 3.2 brick.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Spectralpulse, Jun 3, 2010.

Jun 3, 2010
  1. Spectralpulse
    OP

Newcomer Spectralpulse Newbie

United States
    My friend downgraded his Wii from 4.0 to 3.2. I don't know why he did such a stupid thing but he did. So he gave me the Wii and said if i can fix it i can keep it. So currently it boots to a black screen the controllers work and the disc drive works.

I found a post on Wiihacks saying there are only two current fixes for this issue.
    The only fixes for the brick -
    1.Bootmii as boot2 and a re-install of System Menu.
    2.Send the Wii to Nintendo for very expensive repair.

He did not use Bootmii when screwing with it. At least he says he didn't
    I would rather just buy a black one then send it in for repair TBH.

My real question: Is this info outdated, is there a way to unbrick this?

2. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    hes missing the system menu ios could try savemiifrii and see if it will autoboot a retail disc with a higher system menu on it
    dunno if that would even work

3. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You can't boot anything when the system menu IOS is missing, bro.

It could also be that the IOS is present, but nonfunctional since IOS30 simply doesn't work on the so-called LU64 consoles. In either case savemii is not an option.

4. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Your other option would be to us a nand programmer with a bootmii nand dump to flash the nand, but your friend did not make one, so that is also not an option.

5. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    if it has a vulnerable boot1, it can be fixed using infectus (ie. nand programmer)

so if its pre-lu64 wii, your chances of fixing it this way are pretty high. Do u know how old the wii is?

DeadlyFoez would probably be the best person to fix it for u (especially since u r in the States also) assuming it has a vulnerable boot1.

Good luck!

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I see 2 possible reasons for this brick:
    - It's a LU64+ Wii with IOS30v1040 as system menu IOS. This is as good as having no system menu IOS installed, so anything software only related won't work.
    - He did not install a non stub IOS30 and now the system menu uses the IOS30 stub(edit thanks XFlak). An IOS stub is also as good as having no IOS installed.

And on a LU64+ Wii, you can't install BootMii to boot2. Well, you can(by force with a nand programmer), but the Wii won't boot it. If the Wii is a non LU64+, this doesn't mean that it's BootMii boot2 compatible. Regarding to this there are 3 Wii generations: BootMii boot2 compatible, not BootMii boot2 compatbile and LU64+.

If the Wii is not BootMii boot2 compatible, i think even with a nand programmer you can't fix this, because you can't produce a valid nand image for the Wii without having the keys. And you can only get the keys from a nand dump that is made while the Wii is running(by using BootMii).

If the Wii was BootMii boot2 compatible, then BootMii could be flashed to the nand with a hardware nand programmer, then you could create a dump that contains the keys, and then you could maybe fix the brick manually, or you could convert the nand from someone else and flash it to the Wii.

7. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    according to THIS, IOS30 was stubbed when SMv3.4 was released (not 4.2). So I would say it is 50/50 chance his wii is pre-lu64 and has a vulnerable boot1

if it has a vulnerable boot1, u can install bootmii as boot2 using infectus, run bootmii, get the keys, then use an app like comex's nand formatter or betwiin to fix it

As I said earlier, DeadlyFoez is one of the few people I would consider an infectus master, so he's a good resource for learning how to do it, or just send him your wii and if anyone can fix it, he can.

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Thanks, i updated my post.

9. Spectralpulse
    OP

Newcomer Spectralpulse Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the info. When i get home ill check the "LU".

10. happydance

Member happydance GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    i sorta did the same thing when i experience my first brick, unfortunately by that time i haven't heard yet about bootmii at that time yet, but luckily it has vulnerable boot1 and recovered it recently the hardway.

just wish could find a seller of infectus that ships here to make things easier..