You slammin, bro?
OP
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that the top screen of the 3DS gets its resolution doubled when in 3D mode, and that makes sense, seeing as it is displaying two screens at once on the top, three total. Although when playing in 3D mode I don't notice any less jaggies or an increase in resolution, but the screen just gets 3D. That makes sense, right? But what if a game developer could make a game, when 3D mode is on, wouldn't make it 3D, but would make it look nicer and just increase the number of pixels you were seeing? I hope this makes sense, and I don't really have any idea if this is possible, but I just thought it would be cool.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can't make pixels.

The resolution is set at 800×240 pixels for the top screen (400x240 per eye) and 320×240 pixels for the bottom screen.
The DS/DSi games can be displayed at 256x192 (native) or scaled up to 320x240 (1.25x).

If you mean 'make a game run 800x240' then I suppose it would be possible... but Nintendo probably wouldn't let a non-3D game be developed for their 3D console.

DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
twiztidsinz said:
You can't make pixels.

The resolution is set at 800×240 pixels for the top screen (400x240 per eye) and 320×240 pixels for the bottom screen.
The DS/DSi games can be displayed at 256x192 (native) or scaled up to 320x240 (1.25x).

If you mean 'make a game run 800x240' then I suppose it would be possible... but Nintendo probably wouldn't let a non-3D game be developed for their 3D console.
Actually, Nintendo said that developers don't need to use 3D.
Cubic Ninja doesn't use it, it has too much motion-control.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
OP
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
That's what I mean. And in Iwata Asks they did say that they would let devs choose how much (if at all?) 3D was in their game, like Nintendo didn't force everyone to make their DS games touch-supported.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't any game you play (while the 3D switch is off) in 800x240? That was my understanding...

Then when the 3D switch is turned on, every other vertical column of pixels is pointed at each eye. Right?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
No, the two vertical rectangles that make up a pixel are merged into one square pixel in 2d mode. In 3d mode, each vertical rectangle would be sent one to each eye and merged into one pixel in your brain.

It might be possible to use 800X240 res in 2d mode but it would look odd because the vertical resolution would stay the same at 240. The aliasing (jaggies) would be inconsistent depending on the angle of a given polygon edge.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Snailface said:
It might be possible to use 800X240 res in 2d mode but it would look odd because the vertical resolution would stay the same at 240. The aliasing (jaggies) would be inconsistent depending on the angle of a given polygon edge.

Back then Amigas had "High Res" mode - 640x256 on a 4:3 screen. It looked OK.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
The way I understand it, 3D = 2x 400x240 screens, 2D = 1x 800x240 screen.

It should be possible to get double the horizontal resolution in 2D mode. It wouldn't look in any way odd, as the image would be designed to use 800x240, rather then 400x240, so it should be better quality than a 3D version of the same scene.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
No. The 3d mode will cause more aliasing, therefore you cannot create more detail than it already can display. Its a hardware limitation.

Its like your understanding with quad core cpus that when they say 2.2GHz Quad core, you do 2.2x4=8.8...
No. Its just 400pixels wide. You know when you activate 3d, the screen flickers a bit, thats when the pixels "divide". They only say 800pixels because of people having 2 eyes. If you can merge your eyes then sure you get 800pixels on 1 eye. Lol

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
altorn said:
No. The 3d mode will cause more aliasing, therefore you cannot create more detail than it already can display. Its a hardware limitation.

Its like your understanding with quad core cpus that when they say 2.2GHz Quad core, you do 2.2x4=8.8...
No. Its just 400pixels wide. You know when you activate 3d, the screen flickers a bit, thats when the pixels "divide". They only say 800pixels because of people having 2 eyes. If you can merge your eyes then sure you get 800pixels on 1 eye. Lol

You don't know what you're talking about.

3DS' screen has 800x240 pixels. The pixels are rectangular, height = 2 x width. Theoretically it could be possible to use this double horizontal resolution in 2D mode... if hardware allows it. I guess currently it is easier for developers just to display identical image in even and odd columns when 3D is off.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
When using 3D mode, 2 things happen. First, the parallax barrier is activated. Second, the use of a 2nd camera is activated for an additional render, and that render is mapped over the 2nd group of columns that alternate with the 1st. If developers have access to both the parallax barrier and 2nd camera independently, then I can see them possibly having an 800x240 2D screen to work with. From that, you have the 2nd camera laid with the same exact position and orientation as the 1st, but with a slight adjustment to the yaw axis, as far as 3D 'graphics' are concerned.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
When using 3D mode, 2 things happen. First, the parallax barrier is activated. Second, the use of a 2nd camera is activated for an additional render, and that render is mapped over the 2nd group of columns that alternate with the 1st. If developers have access to both the parallax barrier and 2nd camera independently, then I can see them possibly having an 800x240 2D screen to work with. From that, you have the 2nd camera laid with the same exact position and orientation as the 1st, but with a slight adjustment to the yaw axis, as far as 3D 'graphics' are concerned.

Never have I read a more useful passage of text.
smile.gif

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
pachura said:
altorn said:

You don't know what you're talking about.

3DS' screen has 800x240 pixels. The pixels are rectangular, height = 2 x width. Theoretically it could be possible to use this double horizontal resolution in 2D mode... if hardware allows it. I guess currently it is easier for developers just to display identical image in even and odd columns when 3D is off.

yeah i guess i have it the other way around.
but you said it yourself, 2xwidth. so technically, it's 400pixels but each pixel is twice as wide as its height. like 400 rectangular "bulbs".

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
You can't make pixels.

Not true, Cubic Ninja has no 3D at all. It opt'd out of it because the gyroscope makes it difficult to maintain the effect. 3D is not a requirement in software

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end