Dota 2 officially the most played PC game in the West

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Apr 10, 2013.

1. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    Speaking of invites and stuff, I remember a friend of mine buying a few. Turned out to be a failed investment as they were giving it out for free later on. Poor guy. And it wasn't cheap too. :(

Satangel likes this.
  2. lolzed

lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Sep 13, 2008
    There
    Back in the day those invites were precious. I sold an invite for a Bill's Hat in TF2. I guess that was a successful investment :D

But if he paid for it with money, that's his loss, I always told everyone not to buy them and just wait :P

3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Officially.*

*According to estimates.

There have been two updates to the article:

Satangel likes this.
  4. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Now this is interesting! I just can't believe DOTA2 is bigger than LoL, especially since LoL is growing so fast and it seems so damn professional.

5. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    I like DoTA's community more then LoL, people arent half as serious about the game then LoL players who think it's the end of the goddamn world when someone does shit. It's hard to think a Free-to-Play game could have such an elitist community.

6. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    Really? Because I had the complete opposite experience. Sure, there are a number of people in the LoL community that seem to have their tryhard-pants on too tight, but I've been yelled at in a bot game in Dota 2 before. I've never had that happen to me in LoL.

7. gloweyjoey

gloweyjoey who??

May 7, 2010
    United States
    I clearly said ON steam.

8. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Yeah I know, I'm just stating that if LoL has more users than even Steam, there's no way in hell DOTA2, a Steam game, can have more players/users than LoL.
    This news is bogus IMHO.

Black-Ice likes this.
  9. virgildraco

virgildraco Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Antigua and Barbuda
    I too believe that dota2 is better than LoL, it has a more mature feeling to it, at least more than LoL, and I've always been a big fan of Blizzard's universes even though they changed a lot of names and designs of the heroes due to copyrights, I kinda prefer the old ones though, like everybody I guess. I want to play with Terror Blade rather than soul keeper, even though he's not out yet.
    Anyway at the end I think DOTA 2 will be bigger than LoL.

10. gloweyjoey

gloweyjoey who??

May 7, 2010
    United States
    LoL having more players all together is completely unrelated to the fact that DotA 2 broke the 2 previous steam records held by Counter Strike and Skyrim. And this news article even says in the west. IF you actually read it, it clearly says it doesn't include markets like china which has a huge LoL communty. Again, your comment had nothing to do with my comment except maybe wanting to let out a little butthurtness that people are talking about DotA 2.

The Milkman likes this.
  11. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    I really really doubt it's even bigger than LoL in the West. LoL is just so much more played, everywhere I go I hear people talking about LoL. I literally know only 1 person that plays DOTA 2, and over 20 that play LoL.

12. Elrinth

Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Nov 6, 2002
    What you do among your friends and people you know might not be the same around the world.

I'm also quite sceptical. I'm not believing anything until I see actual player count.
    I just logged in now and there's 152373 unique players online right now. It says 3 111 201 unique players this month. Now how many of those are in the west I don't know about.

I'm curious about what numbers LoL has to show for players in the west.

Oh and... DotA2 is far more superior than LoL in both terms of graphics and gameplay. Deeper gameplay thanx to the ability to deny not only your team mates (if poisoned or under similar effect such as doom) but also the creeps and buildings.

13. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    As far as I'm aware both China & South Korea has specific Steam-less versions of Dota 2 published in cooperation with Perfect World (China) and Nexon (South Korea). If you consider that fact the numbers shown on Steam might not actually be completely accurate.

14. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    United Kingdom
    London
    DOTA n00bs can't handle LoL Swag.

League of legends has better characters, better professional scene, better everything.
    ;o;
    #Dealwithitbitches

oh and also from guilds article:
    Sorry Dota n00bs, lying is a sin

EZ-Megaman and Satangel like this.
  15. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    You have not seen the good old days of the original Dota community. Not even close baby~

Graphics? Debatable. And has a lot to do with taste so I'll leave it at that.

Haven't played enought Dota 2 to judge but from my experience with Dota, I do agree that there is a lot more to do in Dota. It requires way more skill than LoL. Partially because the gameplay is imba as fuck. You snowball way faster and when that happens it's GG. LoL focuses more on teamwork and even when you are losing, there is this sliver of chance for a comeback.

Anyway, I feel that Dota 2 is what HoN wanted to be. But didn't ;O;

16. Range-TE

Range-TE GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 9, 2008
    Indonesia
    for me, DOTA 2 > LoL

It's not that LoL is bad, I've played a bit of it and I enjoyed it. but Dota 2 for me is just the better game, I can't really put why, dota just feels better for me.
    also congrats Gabe, you have a Hat Fortress sequel in the form of Costume of the Ancients

17. lovewiibrew

lovewiibrew Sifjar is a pirate

Oct 9, 2010
    United States
    WCIII Dota > all. Still play it.

18. Narayan

Narayan desu~

Sep 29, 2010
    bash and crit during phase, etc. > engine limitations.

if not that, dress up dota > wc3 dota

most of those who still play dota is because still no LAN.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted