Dota 2 officially the most played PC game in the West

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    So MOBAs have exploded in popularity recently. The incredibly specific genre has been around for years, starting with the Warcraft III mod Defense of the Ancients (now known simply as "Dota") but having expanded with various other games such as Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends. For years, League of Legends has been the top PC game, with its free-to-play and addictive MOBA gameplay garnering thousands of gamers each day. However, this has all changed, with the sequel to the game that started it all, Dota 2, becoming the most played PC game in the West.

It's still worth noting that Dota 2 isn't even released yet: it's in "closed beta". Although "closed" is more of a Dr. Evil air-quotes type of "closed", seeing as everyone and their dog has approximately 5 copies of it in their Steam inventory, or you can buy beta access and other goodies for $15.

It's also noting that Dota 2, outside of surpassing League of Legends, has also passed all the other most played PC games, such as World of Warcraft, Diablo III, Battlefield 3, Guild Wars 2, Minecraft, World of Tanks, and Counterstrike. However the data used does not account for "casual" or "browser-based" games such as Farmville. It's also worth noting this is only in the West; League of Legends is still immensely popular in the Asian market.

Still, it seems like a lot of people Do-ta Dota.

:arrow: Source

2. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    [​IMG]

Whatever. I'm 2Prota4Dota.

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    LoL > DOTA2 IMHO, and I can pretty much guarantee that in Belgium at least, way more people play LoL than DOTA2. I haven't given DOTA2 a real chance yet, LoL just has me firmly in its grip.

Black-Ice likes this.
  4. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Smite > Dota 2 > LoL.

If I had to pick between Dota 2 and LoL, Dota 2 definitely gets my vote. LoL has champions/heroes/whatever that I like more, but Dota 2 just feels better.
    Hoping Dota 2 keeps doing well, or both tank and Smite takes over.
    It might also be because in LoL, it's like the end of the fucking world as we know it if I do bad. yeah guys i'm like level 4 with no grasp on any champ except Ahri, deal with it. Haven't been bitched out in Dota 2 as of yet.

5. geishroy

Suspended geishroy Suspended

United States
    Not that I care but your source doesn't really cite the info too well. Googling dfc intelligence brings me to a website clearly made in microsoft frontpage. I would hope the stats compiled are not from this firm. Also it would seem that a majority of the information they gathered was from xfire data, which could show bias.

Some digging reveals that their report costs $6000 just to view =/

6. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    The article doesn't reveal actual player numbers.

7. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    So Dota 2 is now the most played game that hasn't been released as well? Sorry Minecraft, you're being kicked to second place.

kenjixx, p1ngpong and earlynovfan like this.
  8. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    Imho, DotA 2 > LoL. It feels more tactical and clever.

9. ilman

Member ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Bulgaria
    Meh, DOTA 2 is better than the competition.
    I still don't get what's driving my friends crazy to play LoL all day.

10. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    I've played DotA 2 like once, and because of it I bet I count into that "most played" figure.
    I didn't like DotA 2 much, but I'll give it another shot when it's out of beta. There's a lot of features that I miss from League.

11. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Somewhat unrelated, but I will still maintain that Awesomenauts > LoL and DotA combined.

12. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    Despite the fact that this is only for the west, DotA 2 has masssive international community which has made it the most played game on steam, beating out Skyrim for most players online at the same time and beating out counterstrike for having the most people on throughout the day.

13. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Got to hand it to Valves viral marketing, I remember for a while there was an actual frenzy of people trying to get keys before everyone's inventory got saturated with them. It kind of reminds me of the Cartmanland episode of southpark where at first Dota2 was actually exclusive and then rapidly became open to everyone while still feigning a facade of exclusivity.

I have to agree with that. I have given dota2 many chances and tried to get into it and it just doesn't feel fun at all. Awesomenaughts is actually genuinely fun to play from pretty much the minute you pick it up.

EZ-Megaman and Skelletonike like this.
  14. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Needs more food.

TheCasketMan likes this.
  15. Black-Ice

Member Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

United Kingdom
    League of Legends master race

porkiewpyne and Satangel like this.
  16. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Hmmmm, LoL released this fact a few months ago though:

[​IMG]

That's around the number Steam in total has playing at peak moments. So it sure as hell is more than DOTA2. This is global though, not just the West.
    Still, LoL > DOTA2

17. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    I don't think Dota 2 is already the most played. Although it did say in the west. I only queue in SEA(best server) so idk what happens in US and EU servers.

edit: obligatory Dota2>LoL

18. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    Maybe a large number of people move over to Dota 2 because LoL is now dominated by Asians. Just like in SC and the original Dota. TOO STRONK!! Hue hue hue.

19. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    Actually, in the last International(Valve's tourny for Dota 2, $1M cash prize for first), Asians dominated too, only Na'Vi(Ukranian) was the only Western team to place in the top 8(they ended up 2nd, losing to the Chinese)

20. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Ah it's not that bad in LoL (yet), in the best 5 teams there sure are 2 or 3 Western teams. Asians best though, definitely :/