DOSBox Wii 0.73.01

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by OSW, Jun 4, 2009.

Jun 4, 2009

DOSBox Wii 0.73.01 by OSW at 12:22 PM (1,874 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. OSW
    OP

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
  2. Levente

Member Levente GBAtemp Regular

Hungary
    My DOSBox folder on the root of the Sd card is mounted now as D. Why?
    It was mounted as C in the previous release.

EDIT: I know now why: The C: drive will automatically be mounted to sd:/DOSBox/ if loaded from apps/dosbox-wii/. Otherwise, the directory the dol is loaded from will be mounted as C, and sd:/DOSBox as D (if present). The Z: driver is a virtual drive that is part of DOSBox.

But I load it from apps/dosbox-wii with homebrew channel 1.0.3.

3. theBLUEBIRD

Newcomer theBLUEBIRD Advanced Member

Norway
    This emulator is pretty amazing! [​IMG]
    I'm loving it so far! But I was wondering if this version have any major updates? For instance, I was hoping for a cpu power boost soon.. Is this even possible? I wouldn't know.. But I do know that this program emulated a 486cpu on last version.. And that's just not good enough to emulate most of my favorite Dos games..!

So will there be a cpu power upgrade?

4. theBLUEBIRD

Norway
    Ugh!
    I'm sorry for the double post..
    This internet connection is doing me in!!

5. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    There weren't a whole lot of true dos games after the 486 processor... That said, I believe dosbox actually emulates the 386 which had a max speed of 40mhz... and I believe the default settings set the emulated clock even lower because of how processor intensive it is.

(edit) Did a bit more research and took the program for a spin on my wii. I'm actually quite impressed with it. That said... Dosbox is a 386 processor emulator. To play more advanced games it would have to emulate a better processor (like a 486 or early pentium) which would take an extensive rewrite of the code and the Wii probably wouldn't be able to handle it anyways. Again, Dosbox is a port of an existing 386 emulator, if the games need something more powerful... It'd take an entirely new emulator.

6. theBLUEBIRD

Norway
    Thanks for that piece of information, Koji!
    I was rather hoping that the existing Dosbox for pc emulated a higher cpu, but I guess it don't. And in that case, you are right. The extensive work that needs to be put innto that project would be far to much to ask for..
    But in the case of there not beeing many games for dos after the 486 processor; When I play my "new" dos games (like Liero, The Incredible Machine and high resolution adventure games) they tend to lag like crazy. I have tried fiddling with the settings, but with no good results..

Eather way, this is a HUGE stepp for the Wii. Because with a Dos emulator capable of mounting disc images; we can install Windows95 or Win3.1 on our Wii console.. Heheh, and thats pretty cool!

7. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    Actually, DOSBOX emulate many of Intel x86 processors , could be 386 or 486 (Pentium also ? not sure), they all use the same common instruction set (with some additionals instructiosn in each new family off course)...

More details here, it basically depends on your host CPU speed (in our case, the Wii CPU) and maybe how DOSBOX was configured (It seems the Wii port should be able to emulate a 486)