Homebrew DOSBOX for 3ds VGA missing.

Fil o_O

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I downloaded Libretro from the builtbot https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.3.0/nintendo/3ds/ and installed the .cia file for DOSBOX. Then I created a Folder called DOSBOX on the root of the sd card and put the game inside. This game: ( http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/jetpack/ )

So I extracted the archive so it looks like this:

Code:
F:/DOSBOX
│   FILE_ID.DIZ
│   HISTORY.TXT
│   JETDEMO.DAT
│   JETLEV.DAT
│   JETPACK.EXE
│   JETPACK0.DAT
│   JETPACK1.DAT
│   JETPACK2.DAT
│   JETPACK3.DAT
│   JETPACK4.DAT
│   JETPACK5.DAT
│   JETPAL.DAT
│   JETSOUND.DAT
│   JSWITCH.EXE
│   MANUAL.TXT
│   README.TXT
│   SAVEGAME.DAT
│   SCLM.DAT
│   TROUBLE.TXT
│   _JETP_.DAT
│   _JETP_A.DAT
│   _JETP_A0.DAT
│   _JETP_B.DAT
│   _JETP_B0.DAT
│   _JETP_C.DAT
│   _JETP_C0.DAT
│
├───LEVELS
└───SQUAREZ
        DEMO.DAT
        FILE_ID.DIZ
        GRAPHICS.SQZ
        MANUAL.TXT
        SCLM.DAT
        SQUAREZ.EXE
        TROUBLE.TXT

I launch DOSBOX and navigate to the folder, it shows the two .exe files, JETPACK.EXE and JSWITCH.EXE . I click on JETPACK.EXE and get this message:

Sorry, a VGA or MCGA graphics adapter is required.

Is this user error or does it mean this particular game cannot be run? It runs fine on DOSBOX for my Windows 10 machine... I would love to play on the 3DS

Reactions: supermario18

Fil o_O

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
use dosbox 1.4

It crashed immediately? I tried it three times, it crashes with the Nintendo 3DS giving me the error message: An Error has occurred... and the console reboots.?

I forgot to update the retroarch folder along with the cia version. So the game boots now, but I'm having the hardest time figuring out how to map the buttons. On a computer this game uses S ESC up down left right left CTRL and left ALT - I tried so many options but I can't input anything, the game just doesn't react to any button press.

How to map the buttons?

Last edited by Fil o_O,

Fil o_O

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
extract the retroarch folder in the 7z file to the root of your sdcard. This game is working for me

yeah I just edited my post as I figured it out. Did you try the game yourself? Could you help me with the buttons? It's driving me crazy. I tried joystick, retropad, mapper. It doesn't react to any input

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
Sure. I'm playing this game right now, kind of fun.

First load the game. Then go to retroarch menu, config tab, input, Input user 1 and choose mapper.

Back to the main menu in the first tab and choose quick menu, options and map your buttons down there. Pretty annoying but works.

Fil o_O

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thanks, It works now. but it's not running at native speeds, I tried changing values in the clock speeds but it's either too slow or the framerate is so high that nothing seems to move at all.. oh well, would have been so much fun. This game has a level editor, it's basically Mario Maker for a game with very different mechanics!

Fil o_O

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
B56sykA.jpg

I know this is nothing new - but I only discovered today that we can play DOS games on a 3ds, with the Flashcard method it works perfectly! This makes me really happy :) Now I can replay all those 400 levels and create even more! Thanks!

Reactions: raphamotta

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs