Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Easter update! :toot:
Three good games of the past that run with no issues on the wii. They can be a good distraction during these times
As always, no games included. None of them is freeware (I think)
DANGEROUS DAVE

dangerous-dave-in-the-deserted-pirate-s-hideout-dos-screenshot.gif

Dangerous Dave is a 1988 computer game by John Romero. It was developed for the Apple II and MS-DOS as an example game to accompany his article about his GraBASIC, an Applesoft BASIC add-on, for the UpTime disk magazine The idea for Dangerous Dave came to John Romero under the influence of Super Mario.
The object of the game is to collect gold cups to move on to the next level.​

DOWNLOAD

ELFLAND
elfland_10.png

Elf Land is a side-scrolling, third-person perspective platform game released in 1992 for DOS and Windows.
In the two volumes of Elfland you play as an Elf fighting off the evil trolls that have invaded your homeland. In volume one make the perilous journey to Gorgimer's Castle to get a potion that will help against the trolls. Gorgimer the Alchemist isn't friendly to strangers so you must find a way to convince him to help the Elves. In volume two you will continue the adventure as you rescue the village elves by defeating the Troll Chieftain.​

Elfland controls.png

DOWNLOAD

GODS

gods-dos-screenshot-opening-titles-vga.gif

Gods is a 1991 video game by The Bitmap Brothers where the player is cast as Hercules in his quest to achieve immortality. The game was first made for Amiga and Atari ST computers and then ported to various other platforms. Like other Bitmap Brothers' games, Gods was highly praised by critics thanks to the quality graphics and music.
The enemy AI was praised - it would adapt not only to the player position, but also to their skill. Some rooms contain inaccessible items - smaller "thieves" show up from a passage in the wall, try to grab the item and bring it back to another point in the room or disappear with it. The player is able to obtain the item if they shoot the thief at the correct time. Bonuses are awarded for reaching certain parts of the level under a certain limit of time or number of lives, bringing an object to a room or simply by playing poorly, where the game helps the player.​

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ALIEN RAMPAGE

215519-alien-rampage-dos-screenshot-boss-of-the-abandoned-city-now.png
This was a demanding game at the time, requiring a 486 with 8MB of RAM to run smoothly. Surprisingly, I managed to reach a good performance on the Wii, after some tweaking on the conf and patching the main exe with dos32a (with dosbox cpu actually configured as a 386! XD). Everything is automated in my batch installer, so zero troubles for you.
Now enjoy this great underrated DOS game!

DOWNLOAD

BLACKTHORNE

8312-blackthorne-dos-screenshot-reverse-shoot.gif
The game was released on PC and SNES, there are some small differences between the 2 versions, most notably gore and blood in the PC version and different music.
I mapped the controls on Classic Controller, exactly like in the SNES version.
The PC version is downloadable for free on Battle.net. Being uncertain of the license, the game is not included here.

DOWNLOAD

STUNTS

1464-stunts-dos-screenshot-main-menu.gif
1468-stunts-dos-screenshot-track-editor.gif
I don't know how could I forget about this game. Hard drivin' done right on the PC, and much more. A complete track editor is included in the game and it's fully working here.
This game has still a large active community at http://zak.stunts.hu/. They compete regularly sharing their replay files, custom tracks and custom cars.
And the best part of it all is that it's freeware! I've included the Broderbund 1.1 version, which is considered by many the best version.
What else to say... a game where the bugs are part of the fun. Let's see if someone uploads some nice replay or track!

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
BLACKTHORNE

View attachment 205089
The game was released on PC and SNES, there are some small differences between the 2 versions, most notably gore and blood in the PC version and different music.
I mapped the controls on Classic Controller, exactly like in the SNES version.
The PC version is downloadable for free on Battle.net. Being uncertain of the license, the game is not included here.

Blackthorne is totally free, so while you could avoid distributing it, linking to the download page would be perfectly fine.

Just so you know, that free version has a different control scheme than the commercial version, and maybe lacks music, not sure. Stupidly weird, to be honest.

I am kinda perplexed as to why you have not done all the Commander Keen series and Duke Nukums. :huh:

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Blackthorne is totally free, so while you could avoid distributing it, linking to the download page would be perfectly fine.

Just so you know, that free version has a different control scheme than the commercial version, and maybe lacks music, not sure. Stupidly weird, to be honest.

I am kinda perplexed as to why you have not done all the Commander Keen series and Duke Nukums. :huh:
Funny, just now I was visiting battle.net and Blackthorne's download is nowhere to be found, I read about everywhere that it was released as freeware, along with the lost vikings, and r'n r racing, but they are no more downloadable on that site.
I didn't know about the differences with the free version, so does it work with different keys? I could do an alternate mapper but I can't find any info.

About the first 3 Keen and the Duke games, yeah I guess I'll have to do them sooner or later. I've never been a fan of those early platforms, so I worked more on games that I really wanted to play. But I promise that I will do them, it wouldn't be a difficult task to configure them,

I had some failures too, with games that ran well, but are unplayable for other reasons...
Veil od Darkness : can't type with the Virtual keyboard, so it's unplayable
It seems that the Virtual Keyboard doesn't work with every game.
Wing Commander I & II: very difficult to map the huge amount of keys required to play. I'd need some help by some WC veteran, to find a good enough pad configuration.
Alien Breed & AB Tower Assault: issues with the screen resolution. An important part of the screen is cropped, and you can't see the status bar at all - unplayable,

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Funny, just now I was visiting battle.net and Blackthorne's download is nowhere to be found, I read about everywhere that it was released as freeware, along with the lost vikings, and r'n r racing, but they are no more downloadable on that site.
They are in the same place as always.
https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/download/

They can also be downloaded inside the Battle.net client, from what i have read.

About the first 3 Keen and the Duke games, yeah I guess I'll have to do them sooner or later. I've never been a fan of those early platforms, so I worked more on games that I really wanted to play. But I promise that I will do them, it wouldn't be a difficult task to configure them,
Yeah, i thought it was something along those lines. They are simple and fun games, though, and had a cool evolution in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Wing Commander I & II: very difficult to map the huge amount of keys required to play. I'd need some help by some WC veteran, to find a good enough pad configuration.
I think i would add a disclaimer for those games to be played with keyboard (and mouse?) only, since they use too much keys anyway. That's kinda the same situation you would have if you even tried to play MSX Snatcher on a controller, no way you can map all numbers and keys needed to a controller, and enjoy it. :D

Last edited by niuus,

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
They are in the same place as always.
https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/download/
It's really strange, if I visit that page I can see the downloads for games like Diablo and Warcraft, but I swear there's no Blackthorne, even in the Classic Games section. Didn't tried with the client.

I think i would add a disclaimer for those games to be played with keyboard (and mouse?) only, since they use too much keys anyway. That's kinda the same situation you would have if you even tried to play MSX Snatcher on a controller, no way you can map all numbers and keys needed to a controller, and enjoy it. :D

I know it's a huge limitation, but I was only working on games that can be controlled with a pad, to give an easy access to these games for everyone, without the need of plugging further peripherals. Mostly arcade action games, but there are some notable exceptions, like Ultima VI.
The interesting thing with the dosbox mapper, is that if you use a Classic Controller, you have access to all the buttons of your plugged wiimote too (except for the D-pad, which is shared). You can even add the left and right analog axis, for a total of 28 inputs that you can map. So I was able to map all the required keys that Ultima 6 needed, and I actually prefer to play it on the Wii (relaxing on the couch!) rather than on my PC. But If I have to plug an usb keyboard or mouse just for some games, then I prefer to play them on my PC (without all the other limitations that the Wii has).

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
It's really strange, if I visit that page I can see the downloads for games like Diablo and Warcraft, but I swear there's no Blackthorne, even in the Classic Games section. Didn't tried with the client.
Yep, right there, no changes:
kFfLY3t.jpg

I know it's a huge limitation, but I was only working on games that can be controlled with a pad, to give an easy access to these games for everyone, without the need of plugging further peripherals. Mostly arcade action games, but there are some notable exceptions, like Ultima VI.
I am a huge Ultima VII fan since it was my first and only game of the main series, along with a demo that came on the original box for Ultima Underworld. Never played VI, though it is supposedly almost as great as VII, so i will probably give it a try someday... but that is gonna be after i finally finish the latter. Exult's new version came out just days ago after a long hiatus, so i am having a blast reliving the past. B-)

The interesting thing with the dosbox mapper, is that if you use a Classic Controller, you have access to all the buttons of your plugged wiimote too (except for the D-pad, which is shared). You can even add the left and right analog axis, for a total of 28 inputs that you can map. So I was able to map all the required keys that Ultima 6 needed, and I actually prefer to play it on the Wii (relaxing on the couch!) rather than on my PC.
Couch potato gaming is always a plus, indeed.

But If I have to plug an usb keyboard or mouse just for some games, then I prefer to play them on my PC (without all the other limitations that the Wii has).
Yeah, i guess it all comes down to having an adequate table or something to be able to play with wireless mouse/keyboard combo, which is sadly not my case, lol. That's what i love about remappings.

Last edited by niuus,

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Now this is weird, how can it be?

hqc7v24x2m80jtqzg.jpg

Ultima VII part1&2 are my all-time favourite rpg's! I could kill for a port of Exult on the Wii!:lol:
Ultima Vi is really its progenitor. Interface was primitive, a mix of old and new, so you couldn't do everything with the mouse. You needed the keyboard for a lot of commands and during conversations you still had to type keywords. I eventually realized to be faster playing with the keyboard only. They simplified the interface a lot in U7, but I can't deny the charm of playing old rpgs with keyboard commands. It gave you that illusion of freedom, even with so limited resources, creating a different level of immersion and interaction. But it's not for everyone, that's for sure.
However if you don't mind about the very dated interface and you're a fan of U7, I think you'll like U6 very much

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Now this is weird, how can it be?
Funny, never ever before thought about "regional downloads HTML autocensoring" :lol:

Ultima VII part1&2 are my all-time favourite rpg's! I could kill for a port of Exult on the Wii!
I have been, for the first time since i was a child, inmersively playing it with the cloth map hanging on one of my side monitors, and the Fellowship book ready at hand for some real time old-school rune translations B-). This was my first ever original PC game. Gosh, this game has some much stuff to do... :teach:

Ultima Vi is really its progenitor. Interface was primitive, a mix of old and new, so you couldn't do everything with the mouse. You needed the keyboard for a lot of commands and during conversations you still had to type keywords. I eventually realized to be faster playing with the keyboard only. They simplified the interface a lot in U7, but I can't deny the charm of playing old rpgs with keyboard commands. It gave you that illusion of freedom, even with so limited resources, creating a different level of immersion and interaction. But it's not for everyone, that's for sure.
However if you don't mind about the very dated interface and you're a fan of U7, I think you'll like U6 very much
Another funny thing i just found out when browsing through the Exult homepage was this:
http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/
It is a full-on remake of Ultima VI into the Ultima VII engine. Sounds pretty cool to me.

BTW, Exult on the Wii could definitely be doable someday! The source for Exult is also available for PowerPC (it also uses SDL 1), and the game is not demanding at all. The Wii would run it at exactly twice the original resolution, which would be awesome for image quality. Add keyboard and mouse support for it, and you could have the PC experience on your favorite retroemulation console.

Just curious, how does the original run under this DOSBox Wii emulator, have you ever tested it? If i had to guess, 100%, given the original requirements for it were a monster 386 machine, but never reached 486 levels.

Last edited by niuus,

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@niuus with my conf file U7 is runs well but with some slowdowns. With a similar conf, Serpent isle seems to run slightly better, maybe it was more optimized. U7 is one of those games that require a dynamic core to really run perfect.
But the main problem with Dosbox wii is the pointer. It's broken, Seriously, you can't play mouse games with Dosbox Wii for more than 30 seconds without throwing the wiimote away. It happens even with games like lemmings, when you know that the cpu cycles are not an issue.
So, basicaly I keep U7, UW1 and UW2 in wiiflow just for the covers

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
@niuus with my conf file U7 is runs well but with some slowdowns. With a similar conf, Serpent isle seems to run slightly better, maybe it was more optimized
Now that you mention it, maybe, just maybe, the U7 BG files were updated between releases. There was the original floppy release, the Electronic Arts Complete Ultima VII CD, and the GOG release. Maybe one or the other could run better for you?

Reactions: rogerioronin

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
True, I hadn't thought about it. I've played with the Complete Ultima VII, but I have the GOG version too, on my pc (but I always thought that the game files were from the Complete U7 CD).
Even so, the pointer controls would still be broken, because of Dosbox Wii. I tried changing all possible controls setting in the conf files, but they had no effect. It's really a shame, because there's a ton of games that would have been perfect controlled with the wiimote... All the older rts, rpg, sim games

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
wait... it's an old conf, and there are some things I've learned that I have to try. I think I can run it a little better.
Sounds promising.

True, I hadn't thought about it. I've played with the Complete Ultima VII, but I have the GOG version too, on my pc (but I always thought that the game files were from the Complete U7 CD).
Even so, the pointer controls would still be broken, because of Dosbox Wii.
Well, there's always real mouse support at least. :D

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well I think I just made an important discovery! I think I've accidentally found out the way to fix the mouse pointer in Dosbox Wii.
You need the combination of multiple variables. One is 'sensitivity=200' and one other is 'priority=highest,normal'. The number of cpu cycles is also very important, but it will be useless without those other two parameters. I need to do some more tests to see if there are other variables involved.
The mouse pointer at sensitivity=200 has a very fluid movement and doesn't stop anymore against invisible barriers. It's a little too sensitive however (interacting with smaller objects in U7 can be difficult if you have not a steady hand). I can lower sensitivity a bit, but after a certain amount the mouse will stutter and stuck against invisible walls.
I also slightly improved performances for U7, but not so much. It's still not fullspeed. It's playable but it will be really slow in crowded locations (eg Castle British, Britain).
Also there are two other big problems I forgot about. When you start a new game you have to wait something like 5 minutes to play. And every time you save you have to wait ages, too. It happens with both U7 part1 & part2.
So all in all, I guess it's still not an enjoyable ride :(

But I could finally play Lemmings, and I actually had fun with it.
This finding could open the road to games like Warcraft 1 & 2

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I have been catching up a bit with the past and DOSBox Wii's history, i started reading some of your thread...

One thing that comes to my mind is that the newest ScummVm plugin (mod15 by Wiimpathy) has the abiity to use a Gameboy advance as a secondary screen/controller to do a similar thing for scumm games, using a link cable in the first gamecube port.
Didn't ever heard about this. I am really curious to do it, just for the laughs. How is it done, just open any game with the GBA already attached? Is that specific version needed?

This finding could open the road to games like Warcraft 1 & 2
While i wouldn't ever play RTS games with such an imprecise pointer as the Wiimote, is still find it pretty cool for those who want to use that option. Very nice finding! My mind inmediately thought of SimCity. Maybe someday a minor update could occur that squeezes a bit more performance out of it without a dynarec, or even just some sync with SVN, like it was done years ago.

I also saw in some random russian forum some talk about a DOSBox Wii mod by Wiimpathy, but a quick google search did not gave much results. Have you used it, is it better than 1.7 or based on it?

Emulation talk is always interesting, to say the least.

Last edited by niuus,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over