Homebrew Dosbox .conf and .map files collection for Wiiflow

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
have you been able to mount ISO+OGG cue files succesfully? I see that it was compiled with ogg libraries in the makefile, but i can't get it to work. BIN cue files with CD Audio integrated work as intended, though using it with OGG would definitely take the cake as it improves used space a whole lot.
No, sorry. I have no images with ogg's.
Are relative paths supported or possible in the future?
I second this!
The best option is almost always setting the cycles yourself. Cycles max is better suited for platforms with more power like PC, as it has already been discussed.
Most of the times this is the golden rule on Wii. However, I've found that some games can work really good with cycles max. Stunts is one of such games.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Most of the times this is the golden rule on Wii. However, I've found that some games can work really good with cycles max. Stunts is one of such games.
Yeah, totally. Those rare games are the exception to the rule. A good tip would be, after finding a good cycles number, one could probably do a last test with cycles max to check if there is any difference, in order to hit the sweet spot for maximum game performance.

I second this!
I think it would be super useful for users of your pack since it would be an easy operation to just extract to your preferred media and play, no config editing involved.

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, totally. Those rare games are the exception to the rule. A good tip would be, after finding a good cycles number, one could probably do a last test with cycles max to check if there is any difference, in order to hit the sweet spot for maximum game performance.

I think it would be super useful for users of your pack since it would be an easy operation to just extract to your preferred media and play, no config editing involved.
btw if you or tetsuo find out the magic number of cycles before the wii starts loosing performance that would be great

so what is the magic cycles number now on wii before we start loosing FPS? anyone found out yet?

on wiiu with overclock i think its between 11500 and 13000 but i cant track out the correct cycles number.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
btw if you or tetsuo find out the magic number of cycles before the wii starts loosing performance that would be great

so what is the magic cycles number now on wii before we start loosing FPS? anyone found out yet?

on wiiu with overclock i think its between 11500 and 13000 but i cant track out the correct cycles number.
It depends on the game, but I find that usually after 7000/7500 cycles the sound begins to get worse. This is the first signal that the game is starting to struggle to run. Increasing this value you may get some more frames but you'll also notice that the game speed will be progressively slower.
Sometimes you may need to load a savegame where you are in a "crowded" location (a zone of the game with many NPC's, objects or moving things). This way you can properly test performances in the worst case scenario.
There may be some exceptions to this rule, though. The computer games engines were so different, with different use of memory. So I've found that a few games need lower cycles values and they don't even like core=dynamic, but require core=normal (or simple). This is the case of Soccer Kid (I love this game). To run it full speed you need core=simple and 6200 cycles, with dynamic it's always stuttering no matter what (and it wasn't a complex game at all).
Generally, old games released before 1991/1992 don't like high cycles, but prefer values around 4000/4500 cycles.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

Depends on the game, as @Tetsuo Shima said. I have used 15k on the Wii without problems. There's no magic solution, only patience and testing, which everyone should employ. At least this core gives us more options and made a great lot of games reach full speed.

Reactions: rogerioronin

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Depends on the game, as @Tetsuo Shima said. I have used 15k on the Wii without problems. There's no magic solution, only patience and testing, which everyone should employ. At least this core gives us more options and made a great lot of games reach full speed.
trying terminator future shock and i get some weird results.

If cycles are max the intro and start cinematic play full speed but ingame looks like a slide show

if i set cycles lets say 13000 intro and such are crap speed but the outdoors areas are fine.

but at 13000 the indoors areas run very very poorly, so i tryed going over and going back doesnt make much difference imo.

the fixed cycles did fix my dark forces tough on wiiu with overclock i can get full speed and max detail and screen size.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Found a funny bug. If i find others, i'll keep this post updated.

• Wiimote - and + are shared with the Wii U Pro Controller. If you map either button, pressing it on the WUPC will activate as if it was a Wiimote, even if only the latter is explicitly mapped on the conf.

the fixed cycles did fix my dark forces tough on wiiu with overclock i can get full speed and max detail and screen size.
Told ya. You're welcome.

Last edited by niuus,
Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Found a funny bug. If i find others, i'll keep this post updated.

• Wiimote - and + are shared with the Wii U Pro Controller. If you map either button, pressing it on the WUPC will activate as if it was a Wiimote, even if only the latter is explicitly mapped on the conf.

Told ya. You're welcome.
still cant get it right with terminator future shock, maybe its too much even for wiiu overclock? not sure what minimum requirements it would need tbh.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
but at 13000 the indoors areas run very very poorly, so i tryed going over and going back doesnt make much difference imo.
If I'm not mistaken, it's a dos4gw game. Dos4gw is heavy for Dosbox. Try it with dos32a instead. No time for a tutorial, but if you search the web a little, you will find some simple how-to. Most of the times it gives you a good performace boost.

The VOGONS forum is always an excellent source of information!!

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima,
Reactions: niuus

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If I'm not mistaken, it's a dos4gw game. Dos4gw is heavy for Dosbox. Try it with dos32a instead. No time for a tutorial, but if you search the web a little, you will find some simple how-to. Most of the times it gives you a good performace boost.

The VOGONS forum is always an excellent source of information!!
i tryed on pc first and when i do dos32a shock.exe after joystick failled message i get alot of illegal commands and illegal reads and the game never starts maybe im doing something wrong?

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
dos32a doesn't always work. It doesn't also work for Ecstatica, the colors are all messed up.
It's very good for some other games, like Warcraft.
Are you sure you used it in the right way? What guide did you follow? I don't have that game, so I don't know if dos4gw was embedded in the game exe, or if it's a separate file. The method is different

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
dos32a doesn't always work. It doesn't also work for Ecstatica, the colors are all messed up.
It's very good for some other games, like Warcraft.
Are you sure you used it in the right way? What guide did you follow? I don't have that game, so I don't know if dos4gw was embedded in the game exe, or if it's a separate file. The method is different
well i downloaded dos32a.exe files from here bin ones
http://dos32a.narechk.net/content/download.html

then i runned the dos32a shock.exe and it didnt work so i tryed the patch thing
sb /r shock.exe

and it did a thing but then starting the modified shock.exe ended up the same, i tryed to understand thsi instructions and guide, not sure if i did something wrong? https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/TOOLS:DOS32A#Internally

gZa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I managed to get Dungeon Master (a personal favourite) working great using the WiiMote as mouse as well as horizontal D-pad for quicker movement.

The mouse emulation (invisible wall) issue on start up, seems to correct itself after much waving of the remote at the TV. I guess it's self-calibrating or something?!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM