Homebrew Dosbox .conf and .map files collection for Wiiflow

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since DOS game folders could be named different, double check if related conf file matches the same game directory.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

so, the conf file for every game should be named the same way as the folder with this game, right? For example, if the conf file is "Bio Menace.conf" then the game folder should be named "Bio Menace," right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@zackcooper Yes, Dosbox launches the .conf file, which in turn is launching the game .exe
This is convenient because the .conf also contains all the required settings to make the game run good.

This.
And also, are you using SD or USB for your games?
If they are on USB, you have to add
rompartition=1
to your plugin .ini
All the conf files in my collection are set up for USB, unless you edit the mount section.

1 every folder with a game in your collection (dosbox/games) is named differently than the relevant config file. For example, the folder with the game dangerous dave in the haunted mansion is named "dave2" while the conf file for it is named "Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion.conf"

2 I am using SD for my games, please explain to me what should i change/do to get them to launch

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No. Open the .conf file and look to the last lines, under the autoexec section.
There you will find the correct folder name.
However none of this should be necessary, because I've already put the correct folder structure in the pack. Why don't you just put the game files in the existing folder?

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Open the .conf file and look to the last lines, under the autoexec section.
There you will find the correct folder name.
However none of this should be necessary, because I've already put the correct folder structure in the pack. Why don't you just put the game files in the existing folder?

Dude, thanx for helping and btw I would love to just play the games without all this setting up and messing around but they just won't play so that's why Im here asking for help.

So what I did was

1 I downloaded your collection by clicking on the link that you provided.
2 copied to root of my sd card two folders dosbox and wiiflow (from your zip folder) i mean the files from your dosbox and wiiflow folder into their my respective folders
3 don't know what to do with the control folder
4 I opened the WiiFlow\plugins folder on my SD card (it is WiiFlow 4 The Masterpiece Pack by Abz) and opened dosbox-wii.ini
5 changed romdir=dosbox to romdir=dosbox/games/ - doesn't work
6 changed it back to romdir=dosbox - doesn't work
7 changed filetypes=.conf to filetypes=.bat doesn't work
8 changed the entire dosbox-wii.ini (took it from the unused folder) to

[PLUGIN]
magic=44424F58
coverColor=ffffff
coverFolder=dosbox-wii
fileTypes=.bat
romdir=/Dosbox/Games
dolFile=dosbox.dol
bannerSound=dosbox-wii.ogg
displayname=DOSBox
consoleCoverID=
arguments=-c|{device}:/{path}/{name}

this time it at least launches dosbox but says wrong command SD sd:/dosbox/Bio Menace.conf or something like that (if i launch bio menace for example

so, i know i should change it somehow but i just have no idea what and how

thanx in advance

and they

kokokool

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Dude, thanx for helping and btw I would love to just play the games without all this setting up and messing around but they just won't play so that's why Im here asking for help.

So what I did was

2 copied to root of my sd card two folders dosbox and wiiflow (from your zip folder) i mean the files from your dosbox and wiiflow folder into their my respective folders
4 I opened the WiiFlow\plugins folder on my SD card (it is WiiFlow 4 The Masterpiece Pack by Abz) and opened dosbox-wii.ini

[PLUGIN]
magic=44424F58
coverColor=ffffff
coverFolder=dosbox-wii
fileTypes=.bat
romdir=/Dosbox/Games
dolFile=dosbox.dol
displayname=DOSBox
consoleCoverID=

this time it at least launches dosbox but says wrong command SD sd:/dosbox/Bio Menace.conf or something like that (if i launch bio menace for example

thanx in advance

and they

Seriously You dont need to change settings.

Instead of that try to adapt to the inis

Romdir, Aims where conf files are, which is dosbox folder, not dosbox/games.

Then Wiiflow will show you the conf files.

This “setting up and not messing around” is exact what you need to learn in order not to fail through the process.

Conf files are an importante piece of dosbox since every game or executable is different and therefore need differents configurations.

Your very first task is to make wiiflow reads the conf files and show them to you in the screen.

Your second task is open each conf file and see the last lines which says autoexec

And understand how dos works to match the source and the folders.

Reach the first task and report back!

Good luck

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France

So what I did was

[PLUGIN]
magic=44424F58
coverColor=ffffff
coverFolder=dosbox-wii
fileTypes=.bat
romdir=/Dosbox/Games
dolFile=dosbox.dol
displayname=DOSBox
consoleCoverID=

thanx in advance

and they
I think you're almost there but pretty sure the arguments line is wrong. It must be -conf not -c :

arguments=-conf|{device}:/{path}/{name}

And as @Tetsuo Shima said the pack is for games on USB. If your games are on SD card, you must modify the game's conf too.

For example for Bio Menace.conf, this line :
mount c: sd:/dosbox/games/bmenace

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, I'll try to guide you step by step using the game 'Gods' on USB as an example.
1-Copy the 'dosbox' and 'wiiflow' foders from the archive to the root of your USB drive, merging all the folders and overwriting all the files.
2-Now go to your USB:/Dosbox/games/gods folder. You'll notice a dummy file named 'GAME FILES HERE'.
3-From your PC, open the folder containing Gods, select all files and folders and copy them to USB:/Dosbox/games/gods.
4-your Dosbox-wii.ini will be
Code:
[PLUGIN]
arguments=-conf|{device}:/{path}/{name}
bannersound=DOSBox/dosbox-wii.ogg
consolecoverid=
covercolor=000000
coverfolder=dos
displayname=DOSBox
dolfile=dosbox-wii.dol
filetypes=.conf
magic=44424F58
romdir=dosbox
rompartition=1
In Wiiflow, you may need to Reload Cache to see the games and covers.

If you want to have Dos games on SD:
1- edit the Gods.conf file with a text editor.
Scroll down to the very end of the file, until you see the [autoexec] section
Change this line:
mount c usb:/dosbox/games
to:
mount c sd:/dosbox/games
2-In your Dosbox-wii.ini file, change:
rompartition=1
to:
rompartition=0

Reactions: Hakaisha

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks to your advice, everything works fine, i only had time to try dangerous dave in the haunted mansion (used to play this game a lot when i was a kid) but since it works, other games will work fine too. I get the basic understanding how things work. However, i have one issue at this point. How can I remap the buttons in dangerous dave in the haunted mansion? I'm used to the classic NES controller, so how do I remap it so that the button 2 jumps and the button 1 shoots on my wiimote?

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
thanks to your advice, everything works fine, i only had time to try dangerous dave in the haunted mansion (used to play this game a lot when i was a kid) but since it works, other games will work fine too. I get the basic understanding how things work. However, i have one issue at this point. How can I remap the buttons in dangerous dave in the haunted mansion? I'm used to the classic NES controller, so how do I remap it so that the button 2 jumps and the button 1 shoots on my wiimote?
Open dave2.map with a txt editor
Find these 2 lines:
Code:
key_lctrl "key 306" "stick_0 button 2" 
key_lalt "key 308" "stick_0 button 3"
and simply invert the button mappings, like this:
Code:
key_lctrl "key 306" "stick_0 button 3" 
key_lalt "key 308" "stick_0 button 2"

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, done, thanx

I have another question – how do I create a conf file for a different game. For example, I have this game Horror Zombies from the Crypt. So can I just take the dangerous dave in the haunted mansion.conf and dave2.map files and change some things in them?

1 Name the first file Horror Zombies from the Crypt.conf

2 Name the second file Horrorzombies.map

3 in the Horror Zombies from the Crypt.conf change mapperfile=dave2.map to mapperfile =horrorzombies.map

4 in the Horror Zombies from the Crypt.conf change cd dave2 dave2.exe to cd horrorzombies HZVGA.exe

Or it doesn’t work like that and every conf file for every game is completely different and had to be created from scratch?

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Those steps are right. Don't forget the folder name too. But yes, every game may require completely different settings, and it can be a very complex process to fine-tune the game for the right speed. If you're lucky, chances are that it will work as it is. But in my experience it happened rarely. That's why there are not so many games in my collection and I don't do them under commission.

The most important setting to change in the conf file is the cpu cycles. Set it too low or too high and you'll get video and audio stutterings.

You could spare some time using this modded dosbox.dol from Wiimpathy
http://dommagemais.free.fr/progs/wii/Plugins/Dosbox_wii_r1.zip
It will let you change the cpu cycles and open the keyboard mapper.
But there's a little bug that will force you to manually set scaler=none from the conf file each time you change the cycles.
Actually I used it just for the keyboard mapper.
Don't forget to make sure to remove all the previously mapped buttons if you start from an existing mapper, or you may experience input issues.

However, there are countless of other settings that can improve (or worse) performances. Too long to explain it here, I suggest you to study the dosbox wiki documentation or search for info in the VOGONS forums.

One warning: don't waste time with games released after 1994, the Wii isn't powerful enough to emulate them with decent speed. And also forget about playing mouse driven games, the mouse emulation in Dosbox-Wii doesn't work well, the pointer will get stuck in various part of the screen, or it will hit invisible walls, making them totally unplayable.

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, i have two games that I wanna play (Horror Zombies from the Crypt and Night Hunter). So, I changed everything as I described before but none of these games would run. Just goes to a black screen and restarts Wii. Have no idea why because i looked at the conf files in your collection, they pretty much all the same.

kokokool

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
so, i have two games that I wanna play (Horror Zombies from the Crypt and Night Hunter). So, I changed everything as I described before but none of these games would run. Just goes to a black screen and restarts Wii. Have no idea why because i looked at the conf files in your collection, they pretty much all the same.

Ill check it today from my dosbox and ill report back.

In the meantime, copy and paste the autoexec part of your conf file here as well as the game tree to check if everything is well linked!

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok,

1 the game is Horror Zombies from the Crypt, located in dosbox\games\horrorzombies\
it has two exe files HZEGA.exe and HZVGA.exe located in the aforementioned folder, when I start the first one (HZVGA.exe in the autoexec part of my conf file), it just reloads my wii. When i start the second one (change it to HZEGA.exe in the autoexec part of my conf file) it just opens dosbox as if no command was given.

2 here's the autoexec part of my conf file)
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup

@Echo off

mount -u c:
mount -u d:
c:

# like a bat file change these lines to match your game

cd horrorzombies

HZVGA.exe

exit

3 there's also this part in the conf file. I created horrorzombies.map (basically just renamed the one from dangerous dave in the haunted mansion without changing anything)

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=horrorzombies.map
usescancodes=true

kokokool

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
ok,

1 the game is Horror Zombies from the Crypt, located in dosbox\games\horrorzombies\
it has two exe files HZEGA.exe and HZVGA.exe located in the aforementioned folder, when I start the first one (HZVGA.exe in the autoexec part of my conf file), it just reloads my wii. When i start the second one (change it to HZEGA.exe in the autoexec part of my conf file) it just opens dosbox as if no command was given.

2 here's the autoexec part of my conf file)
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup

@Echo off

mount -u c:
mount -u d:
c:

# like a bat file change these lines to match your game

cd horrorzombies

HZVGA.exe

exit

3 there's also this part in the conf file. I created horrorzombies.map (basically just renamed the one from dangerous dave in the haunted mansion without changing anything)

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=horrorzombies.map
usescancodes=true

At first glance:

Old DOS commands like cd, copy etc, has 8 limit character so your folder, for cd perspective wont be “horrorzombies”, perhaps horror~1

Mount.com command however, built in dosbox allows more than 8 character, therefore you should add “horrorzombies” to the mount path.

Right [mention]Tetsuo Shima [/mention] ?[emoji1320]

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you did it again, guys, everything works the way it should, except for the controls, I mean it they're kinda weird. The D-pad works ok in both games but other buttons wont work or work only sometimes.

So, now i need advice what to do with the map files. What I did was I just copied the one from dangerous dave in the haunted mansion that came with your collection without actually changing anything

kokokool

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
you did it again, guys, everything works the way it should, except for the controls, I mean it they're kinda weird. The D-pad works ok in both games but other buttons wont work or work only sometimes.

So, now i need advice what to do with the map files. What I did was I just copied the one from dangerous dave in the haunted mansion that came with your collection without actually changing anything

Glad to hear it worked!!

Second step is mapping buttons correctly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over