DOP IOS Vs TBR

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by leondmsmith, Sep 18, 2009.

Sep 18, 2009

DOP IOS Vs TBR by leondmsmith at 12:33 AM (3,614 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. leondmsmith
    OP

Member leondmsmith GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Many of the guides now they tell you the first thing to do after installing hackmii installer and running a backup is to use TBR to downgrade IOS 15, install as IOS 36, restore IOS 15.

What is the real difference between doing this and just using DOP IOS to download latest 36 and patch trucha and ES Identify in to it? Does this not do the same job and is decideley easier?

Cheers

Leon

2. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    dop-ios needs the trucha bugged ios249 to operate correctly so it wouldnt even work on most wii's right away.
    ios 249 is your cios.
    for cios to even be installed, it requires the trucha bug.

so you need to use trucha bug restorer to reintroduce the bug to the wii console, to install cios, to use dop-ios.

3. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you have a virgin Wii, you must use Trucha Bug Restorer. Dop-IOS requires a cIOS (a.k.a. IOS249... a mod exists so you can choose any Trucha-bugged IOS) in order to "infect" other IOSes. Trucha Bug Restorer downgrades IOS15 (safely) to reintroduce the Trucha bug, where IOS36 and IOS37 can now be patched.

4. Lothlorian

Member Lothlorian GBAtemp Regular

United States

DOP IOS requires an IOS with trucha bug to work. If you have a virgin Wii you will NEED Trucha Bug Restorer to get Trucha on IOS 36.

5. 0M39A

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    regular dop-ios needs cios 249 to run. i think there is a mod that can use any trucha bugged ios, but regardless, you need some form of trucha bug. trucha bug restorer gives you this.

6. Lothlorian

Member Lothlorian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    lol You have your answer!! [​IMG]

7. King Of Chaos

Member King Of Chaos GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Once you do though, you have the benefit of having all the latest IOS' with the Trucha bug on them all. [​IMG] However I don't think Dop-ISO applies the NAND permissions patch on IOS36.

8. leondmsmith
    OP

Member leondmsmith GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Great thanks. I thought that may be the case, so for example you already had a hacked wii with homebrew channel, and updated to 4.1 via nintendo you cold use DOP IOS to get the trucha IOS 36 instead of using tbr as custom IOS already on system.

9. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    You can simply use TBR to get trucha in IOS36, then use Dop-IOS MOD running on IOS36 to trucha patch other IOS, without the need for cIOS at all.

10. john1010_ma

Member john1010_ma GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Please correct my understanding:

I understand that the latest version of DOP-IOS MOD 6 can choose any non-stubbed and even non-trucha IOS to fakesign other IOS such as IOS 36. So does this mean I can do away with TBR and just use DOP-IOS MOD to get trucha on IOS 36 and proceed to install cIOS 14 to IOS 249 on a virgin 4.1 system?

Thanks!

11. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I really doubt it works without an IOS with the trucha bug. It should let you choose what IOS to use, but that IOS should still need to have the trucha bug.

12. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

No, you would still need to load it with a trucha signed IOS to be able to sign another IOS. The modification simply allows you to load DOP-IOS with another IOS....whereas the original needs 249 to operate. IE: You can use Hermes 222 or 223 to load and trucha other IOSes with this as well.

13. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You would still need TBR or cboot2 through bootmii. Dop-IOS Mod needs a custom IOS or trucha patched IOS to function.

14. john1010_ma

Brazil
    So just to confirm: I still need a fakesigned IOS to load in DOP-IOS MOD in order to fakesign other IOS?

Hope your extraction went well. Recover soon!!

15. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Looking at the wiibrew page for it maybe it was this line that confused you:

"Afterwards, you will launch into a modified version of the original Dop-IOS menu that will let you install new IOSes (again, with or without the signing bug - the choice is yours) via your previously selected IOS."

When it says with or without the signing bug, it means it can INSTALL the IOS you choose with or without it, by USING the "previously selected IOS" which needs the trucha bug to do it.

Edit: So yes you still need a fakesigned IOS to use it.

16. john1010_ma

Brazil
    Yup, that Wiibrew page was part of the reason I got confused. Thank you!!