Doom, Duke3D homebrew ports are awesome! ... but where is the split-screen?

PhyChris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Homebrew ports of games running on modern consoles are awesome especially Doom and Duke3D but is split screen really such a hard thing to add?
My programming knowledge limited to "Hello World" tells me that you could run two instants on such modern hardware and connect them in the background with null modem or something?
So.. The good old fashioned question, WHY? or in this case WHY NOT?

Last edited by PhyChris,
Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Doom Legacy had splitscreen support way back when. This is always a question I've asked, but never got an answer. Granted, I'm no developer, so I can't even begin to assume how easy or difficult this is to add. SplitWolf is a fun port of Wolf3D, though.

Reactions: PhyChris

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My programming knowledge limited to "Hello World" tells me that you could run two instants on such modern hardware and a connect them in the background with null modem or something?
Yes, that is certainly an option, but of course you would have to configure the inputs properly.

But games like Doom and Duke 3D have been taken apart so many times over that I very much doubt there isn't already some kind of port with split-screen in each case. You'll just have to search for it.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that is certainly an option, but of course you would have to configure the inputs properly.

But games like Doom and Duke 3D have been taken apart so many times over that I very much doubt there isn't already some kind of port with split-screen in each case. You'll just have to search for it.
Aside from Duke Nukem 64, I don't think there's been any Duke port that has split screen. Official or otherwise.

Reactions: PhyChris

PhyChris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah, I seen some good abandoned attempts with Doom. nothing for duke besides a 'security camaca' hack someone tried. Duke64 is it, the whole reason this started this thread TBH
if it was not Goldeneye we stuck in the N64 it was Duke lol

Last edited by PhyChris,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr