Don't use cheap microSD cards. Buy a decent name brand one.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by michelb, May 10, 2019.

1. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I recently ordered some kingston 128gb cards from amazon uk because they were the cheapest brand I could find from a seller that I can sorta trust.

I doubt there is much difference in the cards at that price, they are probably from the same factories.

2. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    Slightly off-topic, there are online scams selling very high capacity micro SD cards at very cheap prices. They are actually shitty low-capacity micro SD cards which have been reconfigured to make your computer tell you they're 512GB or 1TB.

Last edited by leafeon34, May 11, 2019
  3. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2015
    United States
    California

Sandisk themselves stated 1/3 of all micros on market are fake. So many people scammed trying to save a buck.

4. Elemi

Elemi Cute and wholesome~

Feb 29, 2012
    United Kingdom
    L o c a t e d
    Well, I bought a SanDisk 64GB SSD for my laptop off Amazon, was meant to be a genuine SanDisk part, thing totally died in 1 month, and no partitioning or formatting tools could revive it.

Bought a 32GB SanDisk microsd for my phone, and that actually got so hot that the part where you pull it from (the raised edge) had a black mark in the center, and then one day it heated up so much it blew a piece of the black epoxy right off then stopped working.

Lots of genuine shit is actually most likely fake when it comes to SanDisk, turns out, and there are quite a few stories about this kind of thing happening.

5. ModderFokker619

Oct 2, 2015
    United States
    California

Defective and fake are 2 diff things

Shipped and sold by amazon has been 100% for me

From Walmart have had 1 doa sandisk

From newegg my 200gb lasted me 2-3 years using the shit out of it for wiiu mod game fills

All electronics can go out at anytime

6. 510jungleboy

510jungleboy Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2019
    United States
    All the major brand are reliable as long as it's the LEGIT version. I have used mostly Sandisk and Lexar all my entire microSD life.. lol

ModderFokker619 likes this.
  7. Mexilon

Mexilon Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2012
  8. ModderFokker619

Oct 2, 2015
    United States
    California

Send it back and get

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-256GB-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B0758NHWS8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=101IJJS4LOFXQ&keywords=sandisk+256gb+micro+sd+card&qid=1557657035&s=gateway&sprefix=sandisk+256,aps,182&sr=8-3

Always make sure sold by and shipped by amazon

9. Mexilon

Mexilon Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2012
    already got this, with all the headache this week with the nasart shit, i prefer to spend some money but getting something solid!

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-400G...ords=sd+400gb&qid=1557657158&s=gateway&sr=8-4

10. TPMJB

TPMJB GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2014
    United States
    Syracuse, New York
    To be fair, I haven't seen a legitimate usage for CF cards within the last 20 years. Perhaps Samsung used to be worse at producing flash memory? I may have had a microsd card from them or two that died, but largely I've had good results.

Again, why are people going out of their way to save a few dollars to get shitty, off-brand cards? These are not new companies. These are shady companies buying low quality memory from bigger companies and selling it as their own. Usually they're not even the stated capacity and just make the cards report that they are.

Last edited by TPMJB, May 12, 2019
  11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's easy enough to confirm using h2testw: https://3ds.hacks.guide/h2testw-(windows).html
    Not like it's needed. I've never seen a cheap noname brand SD that wasn't fake.
    Even name brand cards can be fake, if bought from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, or from eBay or a Chinese seller. But usually these will be obvious as the capacity will be something ridiculous like 1TB (those don't exist) or the price is too good to be true.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, May 12, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted