Don't use cheap microSD cards. Buy a decent name brand one.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by michelb, May 10, 2019.

1. michelb
    OP

michelb Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2016
    Canada
    I've been using cheap, no name microSD cards I got from Amazon and kept getting data corruption problems (It would work fine and then all of a sudden it wouldn't anymore). I tried multiple microSDs (all cheap ones), tried exFAT, FAT32, tried reformatting, chkdsk, etc.

I finally splurged and bought a name brand card and since then, it's been fine (card was formatted exFAT and I didn't bother reformatting).

I have no way of confirming if that was the problem or not but it solved my constant problems.

Anonymous456 likes this.
  2. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere bruh

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Best brands for sd are sandisk and samsung

3. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Everyone should know that noname cards are scams.

4. cole36912

cole36912 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2016
    United States
    samsung is like the cheapest and it has worked perfectly for me so far, on 3ds and switch, with switch being formatted as exFAT(lots of people say to use FAT32 but I've had no issues. If they have no brand name and are over 32gb(or probably even like 4) they are definitely fake.

Last edited by cole36912, May 10, 2019
  5. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    Be careful because there are fake branded ones on Amazon too. Buy only from Amazon directly (not marketplace). Had good experience with this strategy.

And always test the cards directly after they arrive with h2testw.

6. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    i have 200GB sandisk one, works flawlessly. the one TC bought is probably fake card with only 16gb real memory built-in!

7. Sumandora

Sumandora Im using Parental Controls. Change my Mind!

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    sim sam sung gang :D

8. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, I only buy from large, known brick & mortar stores, in person, usually Sandisk but I've also had PNY and house brand MicroCenter cards and not had a problem with the actual cards (I have had a couple of micro to full size adapters stop working, tho) .

9. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron
    VashTS is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    i got a lexar 512gb working great so far. ive had 2 samsung evo cards fail on me over the past few years in cell phones, from personal experience id say those are the worst ive used.

10. stephrk398

stephrk398 GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2018
    United States
  11. TPMJB

TPMJB GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2014
    United States
    Syracuse, New York
    I mean, a 128gb is like 20 bucks now or less. Why would you buy an off brand?

Xandrid likes this.
  12. cole36912

cole36912 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2016
    United States
    512GB is pretty new, 256GB and 128GB were around that price when they came out too, and now Sandisk's 1TB is at $450, the price for a 512GB will drop sooner or later.

13. BakerxXxFiona

BakerxXxFiona Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2018
    United States
    PNY U3 Pro Elite MicroSD Card - 512GB $119.99 with tax. Amazon

14. 510jungleboy

510jungleboy Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2019
    United States
    512GB $74.99 + 20% off for new user on Google Express. This is the best deal ever.

Last edited by 510jungleboy, May 11, 2019
  15. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Samsung & Kingston ones have worked the best for me personally. I've had one CF and one SD card by SanDisk wipe themselves for seemingly no good reason.

16. 510jungleboy

510jungleboy Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2019
    United States

17. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    Breaking news: no brand things are bad. more news at 11.

I though that in this day and age it was common sense. no brand devices that are reliable are rare, but as are so cheap it might worth the try, depending the risk. I have bought a bunch of chinese mini-routers that are very useful and reliable and don't really matter if fail because I use them as a samba share for ps2's with opl or as a convenient way to give temporary wifi capabilities to devices with an ethernet port.

18. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Which one is better out of Transcend and Integral? They're the cheapest brand name ones in the UK

19. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    My switch have a 256gb sandisk microsd card and for my 3ds a Samsung Evo 64gb both works great so far.
    For my RetroPie console I use a 128gb Samsung Evo+ card that also works great.
    And for all my raspberry pi projects I use cheap 8gb cards.
    I got some problems with Intergal sd cards.

20. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2015
    United States
    California

What brand and have you confirmed it working? Just saw lexar and horrible reviews.

Samsung 512gb $99 on amazon - Sold and shipped by amazon confirmed working - Just filled a 512gb tonight - Also $99 on Samsung's website

So far bought roughly 50 samsung 256gb and 50 sandisk all sold and shipped by amazon and all working

Last edited by ModderFokker619, May 11, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted