Dont Update to 5.0U if you want homebrew (Debunked)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Bluecrush204, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluecrush204
    OP

Bluecrush204 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Crediar anounced that if you want to possibly have homebrew stay below 5.0 due to a bug in the web browser being fixed.

2. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somwhere you can never find.
    darn the update caught me by surprise, it was active in standby mode because it was downloading a 16gb game. I turned it on and I found I couldn't cancel the update. good thing it dosnt brick my vwii according to another thread. but now there goes my chance to use homebrew

3. Melon__Bread

Melon__Bread ~It's A Magik~

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    Source? (Not that I do not believe you =] )

Same here <_<

4. DaRk_ViVi

DaRk_ViVi Sending you back... to the future!

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    Where did he say that?

5. Melon__Bread

Melon__Bread ~It's A Magik~

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
  6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
  7. Bluecrush204
    OP

Bluecrush204 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
  8. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    i already updated since i don't care about homebrew at all

9. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 18, 2004
    Apparently this is not the only bug though that leads to the same level of code execution

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Source? AFAIK, I doubt there will be another viable exploit for the Wii U, it'll likely be the 3DS BS all over again.

And how do you suggest those who have Wii U consoles that haven't used them since the update was released be able to use them today? Unless they go directly into vWii mode and then to
    Wii U mode, they're screwed.

But I doubt people will be able to find an exploit with the same level of access the browser exploit had.

11. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    WiikeyU will prob still work.

12. Bluecrush204
    OP

Bluecrush204 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    you can turn off the standby mode or just disconnect it from the internet

13. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 18, 2004
    A dev on efnet who seems to be involved with it, he stated it's one of the routes used or something along those lines.. talking in a fairly quiet/private channel though. I think the Wii-U is worse off than 3DS, because of the hardware method and well the fact it was hacked first in like a month with the backwards compat used. 3DS took a long time to even find a concept that worked. I don't know about Wii-U system technical details because nobody is sharing anything but if it doesn't have the RAM protection (i forget what they call it, NX or something) then immediately exploits will be easier to produce.

If the web browser was vulnerable once, i wouldn't count on it being the only thing in the firmware to be vulnerable to that type of traditional exploit. What other system was like that, the PS3? Which is a way more complex setup i imagine... the likelihood of every fw above 5.0 to be secure - i just don't think that will happen. For 3DS either, something will happen - it's protected RAM made it hard, like when they had save exploits then no way to go further. All speculation but the Wii-U sounds rushed and too connected to all the Wii stuff, people just didn't need to release full breaks of the system early on if they were for piracy or homebrew really.

14. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

But I have to get into Wii U Mode first, in order to disconnect it from the internet, but then I can't play Mario Kart 8 online, which is the primary reason why I got it, that would make it a waste of money. Standby mode is turned off too, it will still update the second I boot into the Wii U OS.

15. Bluecrush204
    OP

Bluecrush204 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Sadly that is a choice you have to make, and I was able to quickly go into wii u mode just now and remove my internet connections to stop the download

16. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

So the IP block wouldn't work if you blacklisted Nintendo's download server?

Assuming I can access the stupid router, it's not connecting to the Google Fiber router, speaking to an agent right now.

Don't want to screw myself outta being able to use exploits, that's all.

17. Bluecrush204
    OP

Bluecrush204 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    It should work just make sure you properly set it up in your router settings

18. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    if the "exploit" doesn't even add anything useful or if the dev won't even release it then there is no point in not updating, it will just be a waste of time, i'll wait it out for a while but if i won't be able to play online on mario kart 8 and nothing comes along in a week then i'm just going to update.

19. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    If you update, you won't be able to have homebrew. Does this mean that if you don't update you will be able to have homebrew? I doubt it. Anyone who knows the exploit won't release it. So it's not "updating means no homebrew", it's more "no homebrew whether you update or not".

jalaneme likes this.
  20. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.