Hardware Don't understand the hate...

• Thread starter Deleted-188346
  • Start date
  • Views 4,421
  • Replies 45
D

Deleted-188346

OP
I don't understand any of the hatred to Nintendo for the new slidepad attachment.

So:
- It's $20, in Japan.
- It's optional.
- It increases the size of the 3DS to roughly a DSiXLs.
- It provides more gameplay styles for the 3DS.
- It provides better controls for some games.
- It adds additional L2, R1, R2 shoulder buttons to the console.
- It uses a single AAA battery, which will last for a long time, due to the basic nature of a control stick, and the already low power consumption of IR.
- I don't personally find it ugly, but the 3DS isn't a fashion statement either. I play my 3DS for entertainment, not to pick up girls.

What's the problem? That Nintendo forgot to implement it in the first revision of the 3DS?
They obviously thought that 1 control stick was enough. Due to the success of the DS line, it's a fair enough assumption.
Also, if they just made a new 3DS revision with dual sticks, what about the original 3DS owners?
Should they just be left in the dust?

I, for one, am excited about the new attachment.
It seems cool to hate on Nintendo recently.

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want to know the reason for the hate?

QUOTE said:
- It's $20, in Japan.
- It's optional.
- It provides "better" controls for some games.
- It uses a single AAA battery, which will last for a long time, due to the basic nature of a control stick, and the already low power consumption of IR.

'nuff said

D

Deleted-188346

OP
It's $20, in Japan.
This is not a large amount of money. You do not need to spend this money, either, which leads onto...

It's optional.
Nobody needs to buy it. From what I can gather (and from what is logical), games will support control schemes for both single stick, and dual stick options.
If you'd rather wait for the next revision, and spend over a hundred dollars trading up to it, then that is also fine.

It increases the size of the 3DS to roughly a DSiXLs.
I like this. I have larger hands, so my hands become somewhat sore after 30 minutes or so of playing the 3DS.

It provides more gameplay styles for the 3DS.
Is there something wrong with this?

It provides "better" controls for some games.
Again, something wrong?

It uses a single AAA battery, which will last for a long time, due to the basic nature of a control stick, and the already low power consumption of IR.
Go look under your couch, I'm sure you'll find the money needed for the battery.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fergieboy10 said:
it looks really awkward like a sega genesis attachment only worse and look how much love those got
A bit too far?...

Probably at most is the look of it and that they want the controls built in, so it doesn't lose some of the lost portability from this thing.
(It is build like a controller, so portability probably wasn't on their mind. )

Oh it can invited more console ports rather than new handheld games.
(If anyone cares about that anymore...)

Another Benefit.
- More of a chance of wii u streaming to the 3DS. (Same controls)

deja vu? (I know seen a thread like this before.)
unsure.gif

Byronic Hero said:
Go look under your couch, I'm sure you'll find the money needed for the battery.
Now I'll have a peripheral that lasts longer than the system. Goody
You do know that the 3DS does much more than this add-on right?
laugh.gif

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Puppy_Washer said:
It's $20, in Japan.
This is not a large amount of money. You do not need to spend this money, either, which leads onto...
Some of us already payed 250+ for a system that they are basically deeming "unfinished" with the addition of this peripheral.

QUOTE said:
It's optional.
Nobody needs to buy it. From what I can gather (and from what is logical), games will support control schemes for both single stick, and dual stick options.
If you'd rather wait for the next revision, and spend over a hundred dollars trading up to it, then that is also fine.
"Optional" "Unnecessary" Same thing

QUOTE said:
It increases the size of the 3DS to roughly a DSiXLs.
I like this. I have larger hands, so my hands become somewhat sore after 30 minutes or so of playing the 3DS.
It offsets the handheld completely. It just doesn't look appealing, like it's unbalanced.

QUOTE said:
It provides more gameplay styles for the 3DS.
Is there something wrong with this?
Again, see: Unnecessary

It provides "better" controls for some games.
Again, something wrong?
See Above. If it will make things so much "better" why not just wait 6 months and incorporate it onto the actual device?

It uses a single AAA battery, which will last for a long time, due to the basic nature of a control stick, and the already low power consumption of IR.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Optional now yes, but how long before Nintendo releases titles that require both thumb sticks, they done it with the dsi, where they released a handful of games that required a camera, this is obviously something they had on the design board way back when but the 3ds had already gone into production,

I love Nintendo but with this they really have screwed up.

I guarantee as soon as a new revision of the 3ds comes out there will be games that require it, maybe not straight away but eventually there will be, more than likely when the majority of 3ds owners own the new revision

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
yusuo said:
Optional now yes, but how long before Nintendo releases titles that require both thumb sticks, they done it with the dsi, where they released a handful of games that required a camera, this is obviously something they had on the design board way back when but the 3ds had already gone into production,

I love Nintendo but with this they really have screwed up.

I guarantee as soon as a new revision of the 3ds comes out there will be games that require it, maybe not straight away but eventually there will be, more than likely when the majority of 3ds owners own the new revision
I thought those games also work well on the DS without the camera?

Also, I won't exactly say that the redesign will have two sticks. It does seem possible but I won't count on it. The DS Lite also had no thumbstick when the PSP released and had one.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The slidepad seems kind of awkward to me; it looks like it'll be difficult to access A,B,X,Y and the R-trigger.

Not all games will support/need it, but I'm pretty sure any game requiring some camera maneuvering (like shooters and action rpgs) will benefit from it.

D

Deleted-188346

OP
Byronic Hero said:
Infact, no, those two words do not have the same definition.

QUOTE said:
It offsets the handheld completely. It just doesn't look appealing, like it's unbalanced.
I don't agree, and this is subjective. But your opinion is, of course, still valid.

QUOTE said:
More gameplay styles are, infact, nothing but beneficial. There is no negative side to variety.

QUOTE said:
See Above. If it will make things so much "better" why not just wait 6 months and incorporate it onto the actual device?
Because a lot of people will be upset about needing to trade in their console, just to play a few games. $20 is certainly an improvement over $100, with the addition of all the 3DSware that you'll lose in the process.

The 3DS is what it is.
There's likely numerous other threads to discuss the 3DS battery life.
However, this is totally unrelated to the attachment.

QUOTE(RoMee @ Sep 14 2011, 05:36 AM)
I don't know about you guys but I really don't like the stylus and cartridge slot being blocked by this slidepad
I agree, this is actually a legitimate argument against the attachment.

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Puppy_Washer said:
Byronic Hero said:
Infact, no, those two words do not have the same definition.
No Crap. I meant that the peripheral is both

QUOTE said:
More gameplay styles are, infact, nothing but beneficial. There is no negative side to variety.
It's bulky, and seems like it will be a bother to play with, with the fat edge of it sticking out where you'd usually have your thumb ready for the buttons. Seems like you'd have to stretch your hands to use it. This is all just speculation, since I've never played with it. If you call those positives, I guess you are right, though.

QUOTE said:
Because a lot of people will be upset about needing to trade in their console, just to play a few games. $20 is certainly an improvement over $100, with the addition of all the 3DSware that you'll lose in the process.
I meant not releasing the 3DS AT ALL, until they incorporated the 2nd slide .

The 3DS is what it is.
There's likely numerous other threads to discuss the 3DS battery life.
I'm aware of that, I'm just stating a fact.

Responses in Bold

Bottom line, 3DS came out too early, Nintendo should have waited and tweeked it a bit more. Then they'd have both games and functionality (in the sense that they could have added the second slide pad)

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-It's optional.
This is how this is going to play out. The slider will not sell well while the users wait for some support. The list of games you may have seen w/ support will probably shrink as they drop support for the slider due to lack of sales of the thing. Sales of the slider will not improve due to lack of developer support. Developers will cease to support it at all due to lack of sales of the add on. Chicken. Egg. You now own a $20 3DS compatible gravy boat w/ no software for it...

It also gave you and every one in your neighborhood ebola.

Unless Nintendo launches a new 3DS right now w/ a second slider built in, dual analog sticks on the 3DS is already dead. All that releasing it has done is suggest that there is some sort of problem w/ the 3DS because it lacked it in the first place. It has already tarnished the 3DS irreparably.

Guess why I don't own an XL.

Like what? Let's see what can I think of that uses a second analog stick for something other than camera control... 3D shooters? I prefer the touch screen or a mouse. Battle Zone or Robotron style control schemes, yeah a port of Katamari Damacy or Smash TV would benefit from that I guess.

I will admit a 3DS version of Cyber Sled w/ wifi would freaking own though.

Anything that can hold an alkaline battery could have been designed w/ it's own lithium battery. Not including one was just a cost cutting tactic, and patently dumb.

- I don't personally find it ugly, but the 3DS isn't a fashion statement either. I play my 3DS for entertainment, not to pick up girls.
Nor do I use my 3DS to pick up girls or impress people. But I'd like something that doesn't turn all who gaze upon it's unholy visage to stone. I'm strange that way.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is Nintendo's way of saying we fucked up big time so to try to fix the problem we made this big ugly attachment to tide you over until we add a new slider and buttons on the 3ds lite.

princefarzan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Funny how people forget how this includes R1, R2, L1(uses 3DS' L1) and L2 buttons, even if they were to make a so called "3DS lite" how would they incorporate 4 shoulder buttons without making it huge? Regardless I'll be buying this because I want to be able to control the camera in games easily without the touchscreen.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda hope they didn't incorporate this into a new 3DS, so some of the people who are whining about the 3DS being "rush" or they "forgot" it can be quiet. (Which would just turn into "Why didn't they add it? No excuse. Blah blah blah".

(partly jk)
tongue.gif

princefarzan said:
Funny how people forget how this includes R1, R2, L1(uses 3DS' L1) and L2 buttons, even if they were to make a so called "3DS lite" how would they incorporate 4 shoulder buttons without making it huge? Regardless I'll be buying this because I want to be able to control the camera in games easily without the touchscreen.
If it at the size of the XL, I wouldn't mind it being that big.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended