Don't shoot me! I have to ask this.

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Searinox, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2008
  1. Searinox
    OP

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    First and foremost. I KNOW this issue has been brought up countless times, and that there is NO NDS GBA emulator nor are there plans of creating one.

However. I would like the DS software developers out there to consider the immense advantage of running GBA games off the slot-1 flashcard without the need of a slot-2 device. Many many flashing costs could be cut short. Secondly, many people don't even bother playing GBA games on their NDS simply because of the hassle of flashing them onto a slot-2. I'm not referring to the proffessional GBA adapters which can hold tens of games at a time, I'm referring to the slot-2 devices which only hold 2 or 3 big games at once. This is an excellent way of putting to display the full potential of slot-1 cards and it would just be such a waste if the DS would not be capable of it. All in all it would fill a void that many of us feel is there.

Is there anyone out there who agrees with me?

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Nobody's going to do it because there's no way it would work at any playable speed. The DS simply isn't powerful enough to emulate the GBA in software. Unless you want to play your games at 20% speed with tons of graphical glitches, I'd suggest opting for the 99% compatible hardware emulation the DS already has.

3. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    There's also the problem compressing a GBA game to work in 4 MB of RAM. Just not going to happen, DanTheManMS has the exact right idea.

4. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    Can it not be made to treat GBA roms as native GBA games like it does with NDS games? If it could do that and just process the roms as it natively processes GBA games they would run at full speed with no glitches. I know a real GBA game requires instant access to the data which a slot-1 cart would just never be able to offer, but can't the extra RAM an NDS offers be used to store the actual cart data?

5. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    *shoots*

6. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    The problem with that method is that the GBA portion of the DS will override and shutdown the slot-1 section of the DS. That's why the save games when using a Slot-2 are written on next boot-up from the SRAM in the GBA expansion.

7. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    Now that really hurt me. [​IMG]

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Closing this as there are HUNDREDS (maybe) of threads already debating this.

9. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    They can't be made to work together? Too low-level hardware management that DS software has no control over?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.