Don't say bad words on Xbox One

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ShadowSoldier, Nov 25, 2013.

1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Xbox One has a feature where you can upload game clips. It also lets you skype. If you say bad words though, you'll get banned:

Source

2. TobiasAmaranth

TobiasAmaranth GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Oh shit, Skype censoring? :P How absurd. And I thought Nintendo was being prudish lately. O.o

JackSakamoto, migles, f0rCe and 2 others like this.
  3. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2009
    United States
    Microsoft's online infrastructure is such a joke. I mean seriously, you have to pay to have access to it and yet they ban more people than any other online service. It's completely ridiculous. I'd rather it be free and not have to worry about being banned for stupid junk like this.

4. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College
    soo...essentially microsoft is monitoring your conversation on Skype....NICE.
    Now i know not to bother using skype on my xbox one.

I mean come on really, skype is a messaging app that is used by more than just xbox.
    This is just crazy to ban someone from using skype just because they used profanity while they were using it on the xbox one.
    Even though, the person receiving the message on skype most likely isnt even on an xbox.

calmwaters likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Wonder how it deals with accents or drawn out versions of words, I usually enjoy pushing these features to breaking like that. Would love to get their blacklist as well ( http://hackmii.com/2010/04/bad-words/ ).

Anyway I guess this is some sort of incentive thing to make Live a slightly less vile place to be, not sure it is the way I would have set about doing it but I suppose baby steps and all that.

Fishaman P likes this.
  6. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Nowhere does it say that Microsoft is monitoring or banning you based on your Skype convos.

The post only talks about getting banned from Skype for saying a bad word in an uploaded video.

Great reading though folks.

7. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    fuck Microsoft, this company was "great & powerful" once.... in the words of 50 Cent "In high school you was the man homie, What the fuck happened to you"

8. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    I thought that spamming profanity was what attracted a large percentage of the Xbox's audience...

9. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    That's great, now I want to buy Xbox One just to try this feature. :lol:

TheCasketMan likes this.
  10. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Please. You expect people on GBAtemp to actually READ the post instead of just basing their comments off of the title?

EDIT: In case it's too hard for people to understand...

"However, he said that there may be some issues with Skype and Upload Studio, which matches what others have been saying."

It's a bug, people. Microsoft isn't spying on you, they aren't censoring you, etc.

NEP, earlynovfan, Foxi4 and 1 other person like this.
  11. earlynovfan

earlynovfan Tactical enthusiast.

Jan 3, 2013
    United States
    Minnesota
    So TeamSpeak is going to get some LP'ers. Perhaps they'll become more well known?
    But honestly, cursing in a recorded video is so common. This all just seems kind of silly.

12. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2009
    United States
    Maybe you didn't read as well as you think you did:

a9cito likes this.
  13. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    So if Microsoft starts giving temporary bans for people who use bad language, might we then see the end of Xbox Live? :unsure: But, um, why are they censoring Skype anyway? Are they going to use that for the regular voice chat instead of whatever you guys have right now? (I dunno how you guys speak on XBLive; you use those headsets, but does it just read your voice? I'm not into voice chat or online play. I'm used to the chat feature that was on the N64.)

14. Sop
    This message by Sop has been removed from public view by Depravo, Nov 25, 2013, Reason: Off topic. ~Dep.
    Nov 25, 2013
  15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Can't ban you if you use a similar word in a foreign language :creep:

You mean it's not already?

jonesman99 likes this.
  16. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    So gamers can't use bad language in their videos?
    I think they're banning 99% of their consumers.

DSGamer64, a9cito and Duo8 like this.
  17. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    I don't think there's a single person on the Xbox side that doesn't cuss. the only people that could ever want this are the mothers who don't understand that the F bombs they're hearing are from their own children not people from over the internet

18. omgpwn666
    This message by omgpwn666 has been removed from public view by Depravo, Nov 25, 2013, Reason: Off topic. ~Dep.
    Nov 25, 2013
  19. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    And those same mothers probably wouldn't even know about the banning until their children get banned.

vayanui8 likes this.
  20. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Nintendo has gotten very chill about swearing. Or at least far more chill than you would expect from a company like them. It used to be that you'd get banned from Miiverse if you even thought about saying the word "poo", but I see "damn" used quite often without consequence these days.

21. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Spybox One, even worse I've made a troll post on another site during E3's airing that I've stated that this thing would ban people who cuss in chats, the trolling is coming true.

the_randomizer likes this.
  22. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    chances are then they'd be clueless and complain to microsoft saying it wasn't their kid too

23. UltraMew
    This message by UltraMew has been removed from public view by Depravo, Nov 25, 2013, Reason: Off topic. ~Dep.
    Nov 25, 2013
  24. Nathan Drake
    This message by Nathan Drake has been removed from public view by Depravo, Nov 25, 2013, Reason: Off topic. ~Dep.
    Nov 25, 2013
  25. omgpwn666
    This message by omgpwn666 has been removed from public view by Depravo, Nov 25, 2013, Reason: Off topic. ~Dep.
    Nov 25, 2013
  26. Sop
    This message by Sop has been removed from public view by Depravo, Nov 25, 2013, Reason: Off topic. ~Dep.
    Nov 25, 2013
  27. omgpwn666
    Nov 25, 2013