Don't know what to do with my Wii anymore...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bmaster154, May 28, 2010.

May 28, 2010
  1. bmaster154
    OP

Newcomer bmaster154 Advanced Member

Canada
    Hi everyone, I'm seriously in a jam. After recently buying Super Mario Galaxy 2, I played it a lot, and now it seems my Wii doesn't want to read discs normally anymore (right since I started playing). It all started with not being able to read SSBB first, then Gamecube games, and now regular Wii games take a lot of reset, eject, clean, reset, eject... And it's really frustrating because I bought a lot of games and Wii points cards for it, which cost me so much that the loss is unbearable. I'm so desperate with it, I'd want to mod, hack it or whatever else means I could play games on it back again. I don't care, as long as it should work. For those who wonder, its 3 years old and almost every time a put a disc in, it gives an error message...

So, what should I do? Is there anything I can do about it to correct my current problems? Would some illegal operation or whatever work best in my case? I really don't know what to do anymore...

2. Maplemage

Member Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Antarctica
    Get homebrew channel then get Super dumper and try to dump your games on your USB and then use USB loader GX.

3. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    possibly the laser on your wii is dying? get a replacment dvd drive for it

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Sounds like my friend's wii, which did the same thing. You can try cleaning it with the official lens cleaner kit. If it doesn't help, it's a dead drive.

You can get a new DVD drive for about $50 (plus a tri-wing screwdriver if you don't have one). They aren't hard to install. Just a few screws and a ribbon connector. All wii drives fit all wiis. Just be sure you don't buy a D3-2 model (these are often sold for cheap because they're useless for DVD movies and burned discs).

Or, install a USB loader. You might need to download the games though if the drive won't work long enough to dump them.

5. bmaster154
    OP

Canada
    It turns out that the games will now load 1 time out of 3 or so, which isn't bad, but I decided to use homebrew on it. I don't really know how it all works; is there some better place to ask question about it or some guide?

6. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Get the Wii Lens Cleaner.
    The lens on the drive are probably dirty. The above kit will fix that.

7. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    try the sticky at the top of the forum to hack it, and i had this problem when usb loader first came out. I expect ripping all my games to hard drive dirtied up my laser, works like a charm with the official wii lens cleaner

.. and screw melty molten galaxy

8. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Heh. It's the hardest galaxy in the entire game (imo).
    I would say it has the hardest levels but Luigi's Purple Coins with Luigi is the hardest level.

9. bmaster154
    OP

Canada
    Now that I think about it, this might work somehow... And if not, oh well, I'll have used 10$ for a tool that helps clean my Wii, which can be useful. I'll try that before anything else I think.

10. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Wii drives are the weakest link in the chain.

There are a number of things that can go wrong with them, and each has a different cost to fix.
    Sometimes it's best to just switch to usb loading as it's n00b proof, cheap and reliable.
    If you are intending on fixing the drive, then you have these options, depending on what the problem is.

Please note you've not gave enough info for anyone to make a good guess at whats wrong, do the discs spin, do they not. Do they go in slower than normal, is there noise etc etc. (Don't worry you have all info you need here so can figure out what to do without 20 questions back and forward)

Get the laser cleaned, this is sometimes obvious but doesn't fix everything.

If you want it repaired, you can either replace the whole drive, which is really easy to do. If you'd rather spend less money but get the drive working again you need to identify what part has went wrong as there are a number of parts in a drive that can fail.

Here is a link that describes various things and how to fix them, it's also a shop so you get an idea of the price and if you decide to fix it you know what to look for and can google for prices.
    http://www.consolezombie.com/Wii/Wii-Optic...ting-Guide.html

Yeah I'm repeating some of the things that some people have said but putting it all in one post with one link to follow. [​IMG]

I wish people would stop suggesting it's the laser all the time, as I've fixed quite a few Wiis now that it wasn't the laser but another part of the drive entirely. The link above is ok ish at identifying the REAL problem and has a simple test to see if it's the laser, motor etc.

Hope you get sorted.