yuyuyup

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've recently stumbled upon an important lesson during my time spent in GBAtemp, and I would like to share this information. Let's talk about reaction baiting; when is a post not worth your response ? An innocuous reaction-baiting might be along the lines of "there aren't ANY good games for the Wii." Such a statement would usually inspire me to defend the many good titles (despite the glut of shovelware.) I would list 40+ good to great games, only to have my impassioned response be disregarded without a hint of consideration. I fell for it, hook line and sinker. However, some baiters are more malicious than this example. Certain users are gaming the ease of the "report" button and the power of mods after goading others (like me) into reacting to inflammatory statements, resulting in deleted posts and warnings. Let's examine a recent post which is crystal clear baiting:

Edit: Proved my point

Step one in identifying bait: it is prone to start a fiery debate which will be considered off topic, resulting in scorched-earth moderation ? I've seen it happen over and over. Heck, it's certainly happened to myself (over and over.) Now, how can I be 100% certain this is bait ? After all, it would be unfair to automatically assume the worst in someone, even in the face of such OBVIOUS baiting tactics. Well, this brings us to step two: double-checking a baiter's history.
Proved my point
Proved my point
The lesson: some things people say online are not worth your response. They bait, you react, they win, you lose. Keep a cool head, and you are the victor. I'll never fall for it again. There are many more baiters outside of the few featured here today, let me know if you want more examples.

Watch out for the Malicious behaviour. Mthrnite is great.

Reactions: 5 people

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This post is somewhat funny, and informative to someone who has never been on the internet. Sooo that being said, it's not nice to name and shame!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really just think you have an incredibly cynical view of GBAtemp. This goes double since I've seen you guilty the same stuff (which also makes you a hypocrite). To be incredibly fair, both Hells and Supergame are both fairly reasonable people. They also both take advantage of the anonymous nature of the internet. You want my two cents? Get over it. The mods here are all reasonable people and willingly breaking the rules in a reaction is still breaking the rules. Thus the report button is a valid option.

Reactions: 3 people

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sound really good when you pose as the 'Voice of Reason'.
Maybe you should start a cult.
It would almost certainly be more profitable than this.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel like this is a topic about someone I know.
Can't put my finger on it though.

Reaction baiting is simple. If someone falls for it, that'd be their fault now wouldn't it.

Also, i'm kind of flattered you apparently have a screenshot gallery of me.
...*locks door*

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see your point, but some people can't help it at least not all the time. The baited or the baiter.

M'kay, and when people "can't help it", what do people expect of the moderation staff? The people that "can't help it" expect lenience, and the people that want actual discussion of an issue want (what else) actual discussion.
We're pretty well damned if we do and damned if we don't.
We could of course leave the thread completely alone, and you would have a joke to serious ratio of approximately four to one (judging from previous instances where we let you guys run wild). It would be hilarious but wouldn't get anything resolved.

For the public record, an "Imma let you finish" joke was removed, and a response to it was also removed.
No warns were issued for these instances.
Move along.

Reactions: 1 person

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, looks like the point was made and everybody had their say, so..
TOPIC
plug.png
PLUGGED​

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more