Dolphin Emulator will now only be supported on Windows 10 and newer

Dolphin-logo.jpg

Popular Nintendo GameCube and Wii emulator Dolphin will no longer support operating systems older than Windows 10. Coming just weeks after Nintendo Switch emulator Ryujinx made a similar announcement, the coming change was hinted at in the last Dolphin progress report, posted on May 17, while discussing an issue caused by Windows 7. Two days later, a change was noticed by reddit user u/DolphinUser on the official website's FAQ, saying that Dolphin is supported on Windows 10 and newer. A Dolphin developer responded, saying they would "have an official announcement with full reasoning and data coming up soon."

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the older versions one one of the best emulators of all-time run on Windows 7 and support every Wii and GC game, this should not be a problem for anyone other than those who love to whine, whine, whine.
While I agree, I gotta know, why does Dolphin even still recieve updates as it is? Isn't it pretty much perfect?

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So far, this thread mostly sums up to "Windows 11 bad."

Honestly though, I've been using 11 since it's release and I haven't had any issues. Can't say anything on the AMD situation though since I don't use AMD. Guess it depends on your setup I'd say.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Lmao, dude, for real, you run on a Sempron or what ?
Win7 is already an source of hassles and slowdown on a used PC, but 7 32 bits ? For real, tell me your adress I will send you a i7 920 for free mate you will be able to use win8.1 / 10 on a SSD without any problem at least AND in 64 bits.

Damn I laughed so hard, you must really not use your computer to run a 32 bits OS on Win7, and you SURELY aren't user of Dolphin, as it's now almost a decade that Dolphin dropped support of 32 bits.

I still use Win 7 32 bit.
Can't even use a 64 bit OS as many old applications I use will simply refuse work, hell I even use OS 9 machines for specific software that is impossible to run on any other hardware and or OS.
There's plenty of reasons for one to stick to a certain OS

Anyway, let us get back on topic and not get bogged down in a silly internet argument.
Thank you.

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn I laughed so hard, you must really not use your computer to run a 32 bits OS on Win7, and you SURELY aren't user of Dolphin, as it's now almost a decade that Dolphin dropped support of 32 bits.
I know it's hard to use 32 bit nowadays, but I've managed just fine, what with games I play still supporting 32 bit (Team Fortress 2, CS Source, Postal 1&2)

Plus I was able to run Dolphin on my laptop, though I think I had to download a older build and it lagged badly

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say screw windows 10+ MS is shit and you should never program for it what you get is dx11 with a number increase ridiculous APIs that change every day for no good reason hindering performance of AMD specifically and worst of all Candycrush wont fuggen go away.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is bound to happen with all software, eventually they will drop support for older operating systems. I understand the arguments to keeping older operating systems but I also kind of just think people need to realize that devs don’t need to cater to them. Idk, I use Linux and don’t use Windows because of the problems with Windows 10/11. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This is like every new about Nintendo where everyone cool sais how they hate Nintendo but at the same time they want to play their games and buy their consoles.
All this anti Micro got an rtx 3080 to play on their Windows PC.
Come on it doesn't matter you prefer using it instead fighting with config everytime you wanna play a game.
Windows 11 user here... To tell the truth I remember having legs troubles on 10, but I don't really use the PC as much as I used to do.
Btw, Nintendo go to hell, M$ you suck, Linux users eat my shorts

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
This is like every new about Nintendo where everyone cool sais how they hate Nintendo but at the same time they want to play their games and buy their consoles.
All this anti Micro got an rtx 3080 to play on their Windows PC.
Come on it doesn't matter you prefer using it instead fighting with config everytime you wanna play a game.
Windows 11 user here... To tell the truth I remember having legs troubles on 10, but I don't really use the PC as much as I used to do.
Btw, Nintendo go to hell, M$ you suck, Linux users eat my shorts
What's it like in the walled garden of the infamous fruit?

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still on Win7 x64 on my good PC which is a rather old Win7 era build with a few upgrades since then. I have a laptop with Win10, but hate that thing and rarely use it anymore.

I've actually been preparing to install Win10 on my desktop recently though because of stuff like this and it probably is time now that Win11 is a thing. I have the iso, mas, and drivers ready to go and just need to put the iso on a flash drive and actually go through with it one of these days.

I have a history of using old OSes and was on Win2k through most of XP's heyday for some reason.

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fine with me as long as they're continuing to support Linux. Once the desktop version of SteamOS 3 is released I'll be switching to it on my main PC.
Actually on a similar thought train, but less about a desktop, but my next laptop puchase might just be a Steam OS based laptop with a windows VM in the case the game itself does not run in linux via any of the workarounds(e.g lutris). I don't play(or at least, not aware of any game) of the games that refuse to launch while in a VM that can't already be played in linux directly.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol