Dolphin Emulator progress report: March 2021 - improves free look camera, other notable fixes

dolphin-emulator-1024x672-1.jpg

The beloved Nintendo GameCube and Wii emulator Dolphin has published a progress report, detailing work that the team has completed and added to the project within the past two months. Seven major improvements and features were made in this time, alongside numerous bugfixes. Some of the notable new additions include expanding the Free Look option, which allows you to control the camera and move it in directions not normally allowed by the game. You can now change the controls for Free Look so that you can configure button mappings on your controller or other input device, even adding the ability to adjust the camera with gyro controls.

Other changes involve adding GameIDs for homebrew apps, or other .elf or .dol files. This inclusion generates a ID, which in turn lets you edit specific settings for just that title. A new debug option was also added to the Android build of Dolphin, enabling GPU syncing capabilities, and making certain games run more reliably on Dualcore support, balancing performance and accurate emulation. The full progress report can be seen on the official Dolphin emulator website, detailing each of the new changes.

:arrow: Source

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Both the Nintendo Wii and 3DS Emulators are Applications that I haven't paid any attention to seeing that I have the original Hardware running Homebrew.

That said, everything wears out and even all my Arcade classics are just Software now, so all this development is money in the bank for that eventuality of my existing hardware.

Nintendo Wii is definitely a Console System that deserves to be immortalised via Software and I don't doubt there'll come a day when it'll join my current Emulator favourites with the SONY PlayStation 2 and SEGA Dreamcast.
About 3DS emulation; Citra needs to work in BootNTR some time, especially now that the 3DS is dead and there's quite a few amazing plugins that I cannot imagine going without anymore - particularly for RPGs like Pokemon and Fire Emblem, or just using a blank one for the memory-editing feature.
I have no idea why Citra hasn't included BootNTR (or similar) functionality, but it's a major letdown.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My only complaint is not the emulator itself but the silly wii controls. You had no other alternative from getting away from the wii remote.
Which is exactly why that console is on the same damned level as the Virtual Boy; both systems trigger bouts of nausea and discomfort when used, though Wii-usage has 'fits of rage' as another symptom.
Both consoles are bad for one's health.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is exactly why that console is on the same damned level as the Virtual Boy; both systems trigger bouts of nausea and discomfort when used, though Wii-usage has 'fits of rage' as another symptom.

That is what made me dislike the wii because of all the motion controls that I had to do. I didn't know the Wii Remote was mandatory until I played Mario Galaxy it's nice at first but then it just gets annoying.

Despite the gimmick controls the wii did sell very well.

Last edited by Goku1992A,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can understand the disdain for inaccurate motion controls, but moving your arms is bad for your health? What?

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Yet what I am most interested is... how does it run Paper Mario and Strong Bad?

False. Is the other way around.
Strong bad
Never heard of it

Paper Mario TTYD- fine. Just gotta find the right settings.
Super Paper Mario- fine. Needs a real good GPU though

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Wayland support when? Dolphin on Linux would see a major boost if it weren't beholden to X. I also wish they could pinpoint the texture prefetch memory leak. This may just have to do with how Linux handles things in RAM, but it's a very annoying bug if you use texture packs and don't have 32+ GB of memory, which is absolutely unnecessary on other desktop operating systems.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I never saw the point in playing those over the original version on PJ64 or Mupen
Dolphin can achieve a larger memory allocation for resources, so things like texture packs and the like can be fully HD, and more objects can be re-textured. Ishiiruka is a Dolphin fork that has mipmap and bumpmap support, so there are some packs out there that are absolutely astounding thanks to this. If you don't tinker with visual enhancements, though, there's really no reason to go with the VCs over original ROMs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...