Dogs... You get them, you love them, they grow old...

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, today marks a very sad day in my life... My dog, Mario, passed away today...

He was a 'Multi-Color' Shetland Sheepdog (black, brown, and white) and was born on July 3, 2001. One day, back in September of that year, my mom and I went to Walmart, and while trying to find a parking spot, we found a Ford Aerostar with "Sheltie Puppies" painted on the windows. We were curious, so we went over to the van, and saw breeder in the van, so we asked if we could see the puppies and maybe buy one... She said OK and opened her sliding door on the passenger side of the van, revealing two cardboard boxes with sheltie puppies in them. I asked my mom if we could buy one, and she said OK and helped me pick one out. He cost us $100, which wasn't a bad price, and we left.

We then went into a PetSmart (or is it PetsMart? Could be both, IMO) that was nearby and got all the accessories and pet food stuff we needed... We then went home and, because we had an appointment quickly after then, we locked him in the bathroom with his food and water and left...

And that marks the beginning of his life with us. He was about two months old at that point, and he's been with us ever since.

To quote the speech on the statue of 'Old Drum' in Warrensburg, Missouri, USA
George Graham Vest said:
"Gentlemen of the jury, the best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter whom he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us -- those whom we trust with our happiness and good name -- may become traitors in their faith. The money that a man has he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog."

"Gentlemen of the jury, a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and poverty, in health and sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow, and the snow drives fiercely, if only he can be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens."

"If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace, and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."
Now that brings us to today.

When we woke up this morning, we found Mario laying down in the upstairs hallway in an unusual spot and position, and he layed there for an unusually long time. We went and checked on him, and found that he couldn't stand up. Only one side of his body seemed to be working properly, the other side tried, but couldn't maintain itself. His right eye didn't open, he couldn't walk because of his two right legs, and he hardly responded to anything.

We took him outside to check on him some more, and only confirmed what we had already found out. We took him to the emergency vet, and they did blood-work and took some X-Rays, but the doctor couldn't come up with anything conclusive, although a stroke was assumed by us, and the doctor said it was possible. We were given two recommendations. They were to leave him there for a few weeks to see if they could get him to recover, or put him to sleep. Our budget is considerably tight right now, so we just couldn't afford to keep him there for them to take care of him, so we chose to put him to sleep, and to put him out of his misery...

We are all torn up, but we think that's the best for him and for us, so that we don't have to endure a long wait game until it or something more serious happens... He was a good dog and gave us many laughs over the years, but his time has come, and we just need to understand that.

Thanks for reading this, I really needed to unload...

Your Friendly Neighborhood Egg

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a dog called snoopy that died last month he had a stroke 2 years ago, and was a bordercollie something cross

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've always wanted a dog; I'm a dog-lover. But I've never had one nor will I have one for a while at least. But I know what it's like to love an animal that has bonded itself into your family.

You don't see him as a pet, nor as an average-joe friend; you see him as this special being that you don't want to lose. Your tight budget is important, and if the costs would run your family into the ground, I'm sure Mario would've wanted what he got in the end.

I hope you and your family the best.
RIP Mario.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah well I hated cats, I had one as a pet and tried to drown it! Didn't succeed then one time it growled at me and scratch the shit out of me. I called it 'you fuck'd up feline!' then next day it poop on my bed!! I was like all right you're getting out!!!!! So I grab it and threw out the 3 story window.

Lesson here, I hate pets period!

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know your pain. My dog Rex died in March after being with us for 12 years. What sucked was that I was away when he passed and wasn't able to say goodbye.

pocchama1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
Yeah well I hated cats, I had one as a pet and tried to drown it! Didn't succeed then one time it growled at me and scratch the shit out of me. I called it 'you fuck'd up feline!' then next day it poop on my bed!! I was like all right you're getting out!!!!! So I grab it and threw out the 3 story window.

Lesson here, I hate pets period!

Not sure if serious.

dries

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sucks, RIP Mario...

We've got 2 dogs, brothers, labradors cross with something... Anyways, 1 of em has some illnesses, nothing serious, but the vet actually thought his brother was at least half his age!

They both turn 11 this january, sure as hell hope they'll be around for much longer...

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Sounds similar to this one
[title: Sad dog story, Long but a worth it read
sad.gif
]
Sb0Bl.jpg
except you really loved the dog ever since..
frown.gif

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Awwww, it's so sad when that time comes. I'm sorry to hear your news. They're an important family member that keep the family tight. I lost my first dog i grew up with since i was 4 years old when i was 19, a few years ago now. It was so sad, but he did live for a long time (for a golden retriever) he was a healthy happy dog and the house wasn't the same without an animal to fill it. we got a new dog a few years later (cocker spaniel) and he's great, a complete new personality! he's active, boisterous and loves cuddles, so different to my first quiet and companionable dog. I'll never forget my first dog, he was very special...but you'll eventually move on and maybe one day gain a new character in your household (once you're ready) because i tell ya..it's hard to live without 'em!.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Infinite Zero said:
Sounds similar to this one
[title: Sad dog story, Long but a worth it read
sad.gif
]
Sb0Bl.jpg
except you really loved the dog ever since..
frown.gif
Wtf that made me just cry a little. But I'm at work so I hope noone saw that lol.

Anyway, OP, that sucks dude
frown.gif

RIP Mario.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm very sorry for your loss. I know what you're feeling all too well. The only solace I found after my dogs and cats passed away was that they had a good, long, safe life with a family that clearly loved them. I know it hurts that he's gone, just try to be happy that you were able to make his life much better than it would have been without you.

Just rest assured, all dogs DO go to heaven.

yokomoko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about your dog Mario, jceggbert5. My toy poodle(Jay Jay) died in June, we had him for 15 years and he was almost 17 years old. My fam and I came home the night before and found him with all four legs spread out to either side and he was covered in his own mess, he was alive though. You see we had left him on his leash in the kitchen but he periodically had trouble standing and so I guess he got wobbly and slipped and couldn't get up. The whole fam had been gone for maybe 6 hours so I don't know how long he was stuck like that. But we gave him a bath to get his mess off, but we couldn't get him to drink any water afterwards, which was unusual. The next morning my parents woke me up cuz he was acting funny and he died maybe an hour after that, but I was glad I held him in my lap on a pillow and petted him and stuff while he was dying(I was always his favorite so it seemed fitting). So the whole family wept bitterly most of the day, it was horrible. I think it was possibly the worst day of my life in fact, but it hit us so hard we all decided to never get another dog cuz losing them is just so freakin painful. But I am happy Jay and I made each others lives better and I have some really good memories of him. I know what you're going through right now, man, but it gets easier to cope as time goes on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."