Hacking Does Wii64 Allow The Use of the Gameboy Expansion Pack?

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i dont see how that could be possible without an official N64 controller with a mem expansion pack. unless you change the roms used to read data from a GB rom held in a specific folder on the SD root. but thats alot of effort as you'd probably have to change each rom seperately.

and no, as far as i know its not fully playable yet. in fact, i havent heard anything about it in months lol

wpilgrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i doubt it currently. the wii64 does work with a couple of games so far but they are supper laggy with tons of bugs, so more or less wii64 is pretty unbearable hopefully development is continuing with it but i like you have not heard much about it in months.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Link2999 said:
Like for Pokemon Stadium games. If so how how would I set it up so it reads the files?
No PC N64 emulator supports the expansion pak with Pokemon Stadium.
Not a single one.
Forget it.

However with other games it might be possible.
(By that I mean the developers could add support for it. There's no support for it yet though.
tongue.gif
)

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i dont understand what it is that causes N64 games to be so unplayable via an emulator on wii... its clearly possible as you can play them as a VC game officially so its not like the power isnt there (if it wasnt i'd be worried for nintendo for not upgrading specs lol)

when N64 had specs of: Fast3D microcode: < ~100,000 high accuracy polygons per second.
Turbo3D microcode: 500,000–600,000 normal accuracy polygons per second
(these can be seen here)

and PS1 had: 500,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second.
(which i think is what sony claimed. the actual might be 180million. just check Here lol

i dont see why ps1 and N64 have round about the same compatibility of emulation on the wii when the ps1 has more powerful graphics... shouldnt that mean that n64 should be ahead? lol i may be blabbing now as i'm tired
tongue.gif

kashin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not gonna elaborate as it's been done before and explained more properly than i could, but obviously JUST the specs (polygon count) has close to nothing to do with why something may or may not be harder or easier to emulate.

The wii has the capability to do both, the real trick is ofcourse, the emulation itself which would require alot of code conversion, more or less depending on the originally used set-ups.

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Jdbye said:
Link2999 said:
Like for Pokemon Stadium games. If so how how would I set it up so it reads the files?
Not a single one.
Forget it.

(By that I mean the developers could add support for it. There's no support for it yet though.
tongue.gif
)
So i guess i dreamt doing it then on pc? It works perfectly except for playing the pokemon game on the n64 (which freezes/error)

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mikeyt1998 said:
i dont understand what it is that causes N64 games to be so unplayable via an emulator on wii... its clearly possible as you can play them as a VC game officially so its not like the power isnt there (if it wasnt i'd be worried for nintendo for not upgrading specs lol)

when N64 had specs of: Fast3D microcode: < ~100,000 high accuracy polygons per second.
Turbo3D microcode: 500,000–600,000 normal accuracy polygons per second
(these can be seen here)

and PS1 had: 500,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second.
(which i think is what sony claimed. the actual might be 180million. just check Here lol

i dont see why ps1 and N64 have round about the same compatibility of emulation on the wii when the ps1 has more powerful graphics... shouldnt that mean that n64 should be ahead? lol i may be blabbing now as i'm tired
tongue.gif

polygon count has NOTHING to do with it....

its simple really.... emulating a 64bit system on a 32bit system is difficult to say the least...

"A change from a 32-bit to a 64-bit architecture is a fundamental alteration, as most operating systems must be extensively modified to take advantage of the new architecture. Other software must also be ported to use the new capabilities; older software is usually supported through either a hardware compatibility mode (in which the new processors support the older 32-bit version of the instruction set as well as the 64-bit version), through software emulation, or by the actual implementation of a 32-bit processor core within the 64-bit processor (as with the Itanium processors from Intel, which include an x86 processor core to run 32-bit x86 applications). The operating systems for those 64-bit architectures generally support both 32-bit and 64-bit applications."

see....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit#32_vs_64_bit

Speed and power has nothing to do with it... you are emulating a different type of processor architecture....therefore you are using valuable cpu clock cycles to "emulate" or "pretend" you are running a type of architecture and then in turn running code on top of this "emulated" architecture ...

apples to apples comparisons do NOT work here....

forgive me if some of you more computer literate folks find flaws in my argument, i am trying to dumb down my explanation to make it easily understood...

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kashin said:
Every aspect of the N64 has been emulated on the pc, hardware-wise.

this is true, however the processing power to do this is huge when comparing clock speed to clock speed....

again.. comes down to emulating a 64bit system on a 32bit system... the n64 had a 93.75 MHz 64bit processor.... emulating a 64 on PC requires at the minimum a 1-1.2ghz processor......

(yes you may have a 64bit cpu (core2 duo, amd64) but all the n64 emu;s i know of are 32bit programs)

Sachka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Jdbye said:
Link2999 said:
Not a single one.
Forget it.

tongue.gif
)

Project64 does it. you can enable expansion pack for stadium 2 and also install transfer pack plugin, you just need a gb/gbc pokemon game save file

jeffc313

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valgreen said:
kashin said:

this is true, however the processing power to do this is huge when comparing clock speed to clock speed....

again.. comes down to emulating a 64bit system on a 32bit system... the n64 had a 93.75 MHz 64bit processor.... emulating a 64 on PC requires at the minimum a 1-1.2ghz processor......

(yes you may have a 64bit cpu (core2 duo, amd64) but all the n64 emu;s i know of are 32bit programs)
mupen64plus has 64-bit support (can be compiled natively on 64 bit operating systems)

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jeffc313 said:
Valgreen said:
kashin said:

mupen64plus has 64-bit support (can be compiled natively on 64 bit operating systems)

i figured it wouldnt be long till someone posted a 64bit n64 emu....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol