Does USB loading work without flatcable connected ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WalkerOfTheDay, Nov 24, 2010.

1. WalkerOfTheDay
    OP

Member WalkerOfTheDay GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Hi guys,

Today I was given an abused Wii from a friend of a friend.
    His DVD drive stopped working, and with a drunken head he tried to fix it without
    the proper tools, tri wing etcetera.

So he drilled (yeah really) open the screws and found out that he wasn't smart enough
    to fix the thing, and bought a new one.

He trashed the case, but I think the rest of the parts are all there.
    The only problem is, I cannot get the flatcable ribbon to 'stick' to the dvd drive. I think there is some kind
    of connector missing at the end of the ribbon. Am I right ?

So my first question is: could I still use it for USB loading without the ribbon connected ?
    If not, my second question is: If I buy a replacement flatcable, does it come with the connector I think I need ??

To clarify some pictures below. Forgot to resize them, so I made them into links.

http://i.imgur.com/rlExj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fim95.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dVqUk.jpg

2. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    I think the only way you can run anything without a dvd drive connected is using Sneek.

And no there's no connector for the cable, there's a little clip you move you fix it in place.

3. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    usb loading doesn't need the dvd drive n order for it to work, you just need a usb HDD and wiiflow and your set [​IMG]
    (you won't be able to backup your orginal wii games by installing them to the HDD tho)

4. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    You can't launch any channels without a DVD drive. Unless he's already got Pre/Priiloader or bootmii/boot2 you still need at least the controller board connected.

EDIT: Just looked at the pics and the clip is missing. You might be able to just stick it down with tape, or see if your friend can find it. I'm guessing he lost it by just pulling the ribbon out instead of looking first.

5. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Wrong, if any USB loader doesnt detect your dvd drive, it refuses to work, so you need a drive in the case.

6. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    really?? never know that

7. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    I have more than a year without my DVD drive, and I can confirm this. Hopefully I'll receive the new one on December 12th from Spain. But yes, (U)SNEEK+DI is the only way to load games and channels without a controller board connected.

8. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Your other option is to buy a new DVD drive online, or perhaps a SunDriver. The DVD drive itself doesn't have to be +-R read capable, if you're planning on doing USB loading anyway. Newer drives are super cheap online since they won't read 'em.

9. Sao Mortel

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I think just connecting a flatmod type modchip(wasabi dx, drivekey) would make it work also without the drive. Yeah used drive like d3-2 must be real cheap there must be some people who have those ling around. post in the want to buy section

10. hersuri

Newcomer hersuri Member

United States
    Is WODE an option at all?

11. WalkerOfTheDay
    OP

Netherlands
    I modded this wii a couple of years ago, and I do know Preloader 0.29 is installed. I'm not sure about Bootmii though.

Unfortunately he doesn't have the clip anymore [​IMG]
    Could I order a clip somewhere, does anyone know ?

I don't want to spend a lot of money on the thing, but I though it would be a nice 'backup' if my own Wii dies some day.
    Maybe I'll try sticking it down with tape like you suggested.

12. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Have you not just tried it yet? You might be able to answer your own question there. [​IMG]

13. steveo1978

Member steveo1978 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Try this slide the ribbon in then take a piece of paper on top of the ribbon cable into the plastic connector so that it will hold the ribbon in place and also so that the paper will put a little pressure on the ribbon cable. Then put a strip of tape to make sure the paper and ribbon cable does not just slide out. If you wanted a more permanent fix I would get a replacement drive and not buy a chip that may or may not solve the problem.

14. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    wode works without a drive connected idk about the cheaper alternatives but you may get away with a wiikey fusion.

you could always try a electronics repair shop they may have something lying around to do the job or bodge it up for you.

15. WalkerOfTheDay
    OP

Netherlands
    I sent a Wii repair guy an email. Let's hope he can help me out cheap [​IMG]

16. WalkerOfTheDay
    OP

Netherlands
    Unfortunately, he couldn't help me. Well he could, but I'd have to buy a new drive [​IMG]
    I've sent DeadlyFoez the link to this topic, and will wait for his answer first.

If he doesn't have any other solution, I'll try the paper / tape thingy.

17. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    I have a wii fully working without a drive in it at all. I have tested many different things on my tech wii without a drive connected and never once had a single issue.

18. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    Most things will work. There will be things compiled on older sdk doing drive checks that'll fail. But mostly it'll work

19. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    Really? Because any official channel or any game launched with any USB Loader won't work in my case. The HBC and the injected SSB64 are the only things that do work (and the homebrew apps, of course).

Anyway, as I said before, if you don't want to buy a new drive just use SNEEK+DI.

20. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    i tried about 18months ago, using firmware 3.2 and cfg-loader booted games fine.

however, there was a guy here at the time who wanted to fit a 2.5inch hd inplace of the dvd mech who couldnt get it to even boot into the main screen.

so it may be firmware version related.