Does uploading profile pictures breach copyright laws?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by SantaClaus, Nov 11, 2019.

1. SantaClaus
    OP

SantaClaus Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2019
    Antarctica
    Santa's secret base
    Some profile pictures on this website contain characters copyrighted by various companies. I'm not going to single anyone out, but many members, including staff, use characters from games and TV shows in their profile picture.

yuyuyup likes this.
  2. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    That is a good question. However, since you earn no money I think this is "allowed"

LonelyPhantom and yuyuyup like this.
  3. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    The copyright owners don't care.

Ryccardo likes this.
  4. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Hmm... most likely it's fine since a majority of it actually is promotional stuff. Example the picture I use

5. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Feel free to hmu if you want a custom copyright-free fair use profile picture

6. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    You will never get in trouble for it, however companies ARE within their right to offer "cease and desist" to make you get rid of it (or make GBAtemp get rid of it.) This is with precident, I've seen various youtube channels get DESTROYED because they used a tiny music sample etc. And yes, I've seen it happen with merely an avatar (however, in that case they were going so far as to sell merchandise with the copyrighted image, to put it in context.)

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    If the picture is "official" or otherwise incorporating "sufficient creative effort" by someone else, yes they have (at least some) of the copyright on it
    So the next question is, how many reasonably provable* damages did your likely unauthorized duplication result in?

* being a civil case, it's "reasonably" and not "beyond any reasonable doubt"

Next, you said copyright, but when you talk about characters (rather than limiting the discussion to their representations) it's more of trademark territory - as you may have heard there's no "do nothing" option against those violations, but you can avoid violating it in the first place by avoiding any confusion that you may be its creator/etc (ie there's a difference between putting Pikachu in your 100% free video game, in an iPhone cover sold for profit that clearly acknowledges being unofficial, and in a space where most uneducated people can quickly tell is used by anyone as "my favorite image")

alexander1970 and yuyuyup like this.
  8. dAVID_

dAVID_ Electrician's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    The Game
    Technically, yes. However, in the United States there is the concept of fair use, which means under certain circumstances you can use copyrighted works without infringing copyright.

An upside of living in a third world country (like Mexico) is that the government (and therefore your ISP) don't care at all about piracy.

alexander1970 likes this.
  9. SantaClaus
    OP

SantaClaus Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2019
    Antarctica
    Santa's secret base
    What would happen if you port scanned or successfully hacked a foreign server?

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    those kinds of things are usually enforced in most countries, it would ultimately depend on "what" you hack, i.e random small business probably nothing without some serious cost to the owner of the business, but if you hack nasa, the cia or something and leave yourself traceable im sure some strings would be pulled to ensure get you punished even if no extradition laws apply

11. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    Fair use my dudes

12. dAVID_

dAVID_ Electrician's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    The Game
    What does that have to do with copyright?

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Under the strictest senses of the term then yeah you would be using a copyrighted (possibly also trademarked*) work without permission, and I don't particularly see a fair use/fair dealing argument. However if they dragged you into court they would also want to be in a position to prove losses or that it provides unfair competition for their work.

At the same time even a company as stupid as Nintendo will probably recognise the value in having a character plastered around the joint as free advertising of a sort.

*trademarks have a concept called genericide where if a holder does not enforce their trademark then it becomes void. I doubt simple forum use would come close to bothering this though.

Probably the two main scenarios in which something would be done would be a) something like Scientology where they go after leakers of their "works" with copyright a lot of the time if you chose to make it such a thing, and b) if they thought association with a site/group was damaging the brand and just wanted shot of it. We have seen a few instances of b) before among the various political video circles, though several of those had other factors at play as well.

14. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    @FAST6191 It totally falls under fair use. It's a minuscule portion of a copyrighted work being used for reasons not for profit, without diminishing the value of the original work.

DinohScene likes this.
  15. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    Fair use with pictures is a bit of a mess and something I had to become very familiar due to my old job. That being said, unless someone is going out of their way to find each person using their pictures and tracking them down, sending a C&D, etc.. In short, no is going to copyright strike an avatar because that’s a lot work with no pay off

16. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    If you have no possible grasp of anything you're talking about you may just want to leave your shower thoughts in the shower.

No in no universe is a profile picture ever going to be a copyright breach. That's not remotely how anything works. If GBAtemp decided to sell copyrighted material as avatars, sure maybe someone would legally care (spoiler: no one would care) but otherwise there's no case and no breach in users using profile pictures.

17. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    If a company wants to go after every single forum/discord/disquss user to ever exist with a copyrighted character in their profile picture, go ahead. I'd bring popcorn to the courtroom to laugh as it gets thrown out of court for being ridiculous.

18. James_

James_ *Meowstic noises*

Oct 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Meowstic Land
    I hate popcorn, I'll bring pretzels instead.

This is my 69th post. Nice.

MicmasH_W likes this.
  19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Going through the usual four factors thing ( https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/four-factors/ ) I reckon I could make a case and dodge a de minimis argument (typical avatar shots could do some heart of the work type stuff), especially if it is combined with a notable person (think forum mod/face of the site rather than libel law) on a site/person in some disrepute (here I presume they would go for the piracy angle, though I reckon I could also do a standing in the community argument for something like Kotaku).

DinohScene and WeedZ like this.
  20. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I doubt Zag studios or Thomas Astruc is going to hunt me down with a C&D.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted