Does updating to 4.0 or higher on iPod Touch 2G make it slower

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by Jakob95, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Jakob95
    OP

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    My iTouch 2G is currently on 3.1.3. I was wondering about updating it to the latest firmware but am worrying about it lagging. I still need to format my iPod Touch 2G right now because its really slow for some reasons from all the stuff I download from Cydia... Should I update even?

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Unfortunately, 4.x will make your iPod touch 2G noticeably slower (even before installing tweaks from Cydia). I actually tested the boot time recently, and it took about 10 seconds longer than a close-to-untouched installation of 3.1.3.

On the bright side, iOS 4.2.1 contains an updated Safari, Folders, and improvements over 4.x. If you want to update, I highly recommend performing a restore.

3. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Do you recommend updating? Will updating make my Safari load websites faster?

4. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It may load about the same. While Safari 5 definitely has better performance than Safari 4, iOS 4.x overall suffers a performance hit on the iPod touch 2G. (I haven't tested web page performance.)

I would update, mostly to enable Apple's multitasking method (requires 4.1, not 4.2.1) or use Folders. Your opinion may vary, though.

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I suggest you don't update. iOS 4 just wasn't designed for the shitty-ass RAM that the older iDevices have. You probably have ~50 MB of RAM right now, with nothing running. Updating will drop that number to 30.

6. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    You are correct I currently have around 50MB Of Ram right now. I am going to check out how my cousins iPod Touch 2G is doing on 4.0.

7. Arithmatics

Member Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Malaysia
    my ipod touch 2g is on 4.1.. It has ~50MB RAM with tweaks and themes running. (not to mention multitask).

with nothing running its about ~60MB RAM.

You should update just for the sake of folders. makes everything clean. IMHO