Does thr latest TT card have trouble sticking or are they fakes

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by barnsleyfan, Oct 22, 2008.

1. barnsleyfan
    OP

Newcomer barnsleyfan Member

United Kingdom
    New to the forums. didn't know you could even get cards for the DS until last week!

I have ordered a TT card from dealextreme (although after 6 days my order still shows as 'waiting for supplier' but don't know if this relates to the TT card or one of the other items i ordered). I have since noticed posts on forums suggesting that their TT carts are sticking in the DS and the springloaded mechanism doesn't work. I also have 1 friend who has a card and 2 DS's. I think The card sticks in one DS but not the other.

I was wondering if the new TT cards are poorly made and the sticking is a feature. Or is it a sign of a fake?

I was also thinking of buying a DSTT card from a UK supplier promising next day delivery since i need one within 3 weeks for my sons birthday (they are cheap enough to have a spare) but am concerned that i might get 2 that stick. If it is a feature of the new card then i would consider buying a R4DS clone (or something else).

Thanks

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The ones sold on dealextreme most likely won't be a fake. I don't know about sticking. Mine (which is one of the originals since I got it back when the DSTT was brand new) is a little harder to get in and out than a regular game cartridge, but nothing to worry about. The DS's eject mechanism is plenty strong enough to eject the DSTT. Your friend's problem sounds more like a bad eject mechanism on the DS than a problem with the DSTT per se (particularly since it works in one DS). As for the microSD slot, I don't have any problems with the microSD card going in and out.

If you are going to get another flash cart, I would recommend giving the DSTT to your son and purchasing an Acekard 2 for yourself. It's only a few dollars more, but has a far better interface. The DSTT is good for kids since it doesn't display folders so is slightly easier to use.

-Bri

3. Heeroo

Member Heeroo GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    hmm... I have buy a DStt on a other shop

4. Bri

United States
  5. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    If time is an important issue, I wouldn't count on DealExtreme. It took almost a month for me to get an order from them. And I don't know about fake DSTTs, but they sell other stuff that is fake. They're cheap, that's pretty much the only reason to buy there.

6. barnsleyfan
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks Bri.

Is the AceKard 2.1 generally considered as better than the DSTT, or is it your subjective opinion.

I can get an Acekard 2.1 for £16 incl postage or a DSTT for £12.20. Is the AceKard worth the extra few quid. Only issue i that the cheapest is from team-console (based in london) and although they quote first class delivery the T&Cs say to allow 15 days delivery. Have you any knowledge of this supplier ?

7. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    @Barnes Welcome to GBATemp, always nice to see someone new. Personally I like the Edge or Acekard 2.1

Edge - Is a cyclo clone. Good build quality and I havent had any trouble with the ones Ive purchased for friends and family. Not spring loaded which to ME is a bonus, but some people dislike that.

Acekard 2.1 - Even cheaper than the Edge, the build quality does not seem as good in my opinion. Where this shines is that it has an excellent menu, lots of options and setting to play with.. Might not be as good for a young kid if you dont want to confuse them but a teenager or even preteen probably wont have much trouble with it.

As far as Dealextreme goes, I personally have never had any problems with them, and have never had an order take more than 2 weeks after shipping. When you get the 'waiting for supplier' though, it can take a long time before they actually ship it. If you really want to purchase from some place more local than other here will probably have good advice, but if it were me I would contact DX and either ask them to ship your DS cards (assuming they are waiting for supplier from other items) or if it is the DS card that is not in stock then maybe order another card that IS in stock (Edge/Acekard 2.1)

Make sure you let us know how it works out for you [​IMG]

8. Bri

United States
    @barnsleyfan: Most users generally consider the Acekard 2 to be far better than the DSTT, although I'm sure that there are a few that are of the opposite opinion.

I could list the features that the Acekard 2 has that the DSTT doesn't have, but it would be a fairly long list. The most important advantages are that the Acekard 2 menu is more responsive (and prettier) than the DSTT's, it sorts ROM's, and it supports folders. The Acekard 2 also has a very nice custom firmware called AKAIO that is based on the official menu but adds even more features. You can read the review of the Acekard 2 on this site to get a taste of what the menu looks like.

I don't know anything about the store you mention. I have ordered from dealextreme.com (https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811) which has extremely slow shipping, but very good prices.

@EmperorOfCanada: I agree that the Edge is a good cart and far better than the DSTT, but it's significantly more expensive than the DSTT or Acekard 2 and the only advantage I see of the Edge is that it's slightly sturdier (it's not like the Acekard 2 is going to break or anything). But someone who is more concerned about build quality than the menu might want to consider the Edge.

-Bri

9. barnsleyfan
    OP

United Kingdom
    @ Bri
    @ Emperor of Canada

Thanks guys. I think you have sold the Acekard 2.1 to me. Now i'm torn between buying from a UK supplier for £16 or dealextreme for about £8. I need a working card for my sons birthday which is 4 weeks away. I think i'll give dealextreme a few more days. I originally emailed them but got a cryptic message saying to email the correct dept (which i am confident that i did in the first place), so i have emailed again. If i get some movement on the DSTT card hen i will probably also buy the AceKrd from them. If i have no joy, then i suppose i'll have to pay the £16 and hope that they can deliver in the timeframe stated (and that they do not order it from HongKong building in further delays!)

Thanks again.

10. Bri

United States
    You'll probably get the DSTT within 4 weeks. I've never heard of dealextreme taking that long unless they are out of stock (which they aren't for the DSTT at the moment). You can check on the status of your order from their website, and in most cases you can also track your order to see where it is.

-Bri

11. barnsleyfan
    OP

United Kingdom
    I sent another email. It is now 7 days since order. I asked if anything was holding up the order and i would remove it. But i just got a

'Would you please kindly wait for a few days,we will ship your order as soon as possible,We will send you a shipment notification e-mail once it has been shipped. '

Not much help at all. It's like being a kid and waiting for christmas. I want my present but there's nothing i can do about it !

12. Bri

United States
    There's nothing you can do about it but wait. In general, you're better off using their online system for tracking your packages than sending them e-mail. It usually takes about 2.5 to 3 weeks for me to get my orders here in the U.S. Also, dealextreme ships it so that you have to sign for the orders, so if you happen to not be at home when it arrives you have to go to the post office to get it.

-Bri

13. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    Non registered shipping (orders under $15 I believe) don't need to be signed for, they get left in the mailbox in Australia at least.

Takes a little longer though, 2-3 weeks vs 1-2 for registered post from my experience (to Australia).

14. ganons

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    i can t believe it, my friend ordered dstt last thursday and recieved it yesterday

15. barnsleyfan
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ordered mine the same day and website still says 'waiting for supplier'. I ordered with a few other items. I have emailed dealextreme to see if any particular item was holding up the order in the hope that they would ship without it, but i have no luck with them

16. jagerstaffel

Member jagerstaffel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't mean to change the topic into a shipping status topic, but I figured with alot of questions as to how fast Dealextreme is I guess I'll ask here.

I've been meaning to buy a DSTT from them as well, but I'm strapped for time. I may travel soon, so I can spare at least 14 days for it to arrive. My question is, for anyone who has ordered just the $10.70 DSTT, how long did it take for it to go from order to shipping confirmation (the email they send you when an order is shipped). From what I've read here Dealextreme doesn't seem like the place to buy if one needs it fast, but here's hoping some of you have had an experience like ganons' friend.

17. Bri

United States
    Don't order from dealextreme if you need it within 14 days. They have never taken fewer than 14 days for me. If you need it quick and are willing to pay a little more, leetmod.com is an excellent store. I got my order from them in 2 days.

-Bri

18. cepheus

Member cepheus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I just got the newest DSTT in that compact packaging from DX.

Differences compared with the old.

1. the microsd slot is u-shaped instead of flat (kinda hard to see inside to look for the "gold dot" ... you need to look really close)

2. not spring loaded

things that are common with the old.

1. crappy effort putting the sticker on [​IMG]

19. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    cepheus: The new ones with the cut out at top are spring loaded.

I've had 3 of the new-packaged DSTTs, the first 2 looked like the ones from the old packaging (not cut out at top, no card symbol on the back) but were not fakes, the latest one looks like the one on the DSTT site that you describe.

All 3 are spring loaded, although this latest one has a noticeably worse spring action.
    I had to push the card in quite hard the first time, then pull it out. From then on the spring started working.
    The microSD also sticks out a little from the top where as my others do not.

I have heard these complaints about the old style DSTT also so it very well could be an issue that effects some cards from all batches, not just the new ones.

20. cepheus

Member cepheus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    you're probably right about the springs but they do not "pop" at all so I assumed there were no springs.