Hardware Does The Wii U Have The Requirements Necessary To Play Blu-Ray Discs Via Homebrew??

The_Meistro

GBATemp's "Official" Hank Hill
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I watched a youtube video made when the wii u first came out that went over how the Wii U game discs were virtually the same as Blu-Ray discs. I know using the wii you can play DVDs. Is this possible? Can you use Blu-Ray on Wii U??

EDIT: Heres the video that i saw this on:

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afaik the later Wii drive models introduced a lock for DVD(-R) media which prevented it to boot anything other than legit Wii / GC discs.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo took over the same protection for the Wii U.

@Marionumber1 maybe can say something about that. Maybe some IOSU trickery can do wonders here.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are two possible protections: the disc firmware blocking Blu-ray access but having the ability to re-enable it, or the disc firmware having no support at all. I believe that the Wii initially had disabled support in the DVD firmware, and then removed it entirely, requiring modchips to use normal DVDs. Thus, there's no reason to believe that the Wii U drive firmware would have standard Blu-ray support, but I won't assume anything until I've gotten into IOSU and poked at the drive.

The_Meistro

GBATemp's "Official" Hank Hill
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
There are two possible protections: the disc firmware blocking Blu-ray access but having the ability to re-enable it, or the disc firmware having no support at all. I believe that the Wii initially had disabled support in the DVD firmware, and then removed it entirely, requiring modchips to use normal DVDs. Thus, there's no reason to believe that the Wii U drive firmware would have standard Blu-ray support, but I won't assume anything until I've gotten into IOSU and poked at the drive.
And you will take a look at it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Because i would really like that

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id be sweet to boot Blu-ray Backups just for fun. I know it ain gonna happen though. I do have a blu ray burner tho..... as marionumber1 said isou access is needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...