Does the Wii ever force one to update?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Smash Br0, Jan 1, 2010.

Jan 1, 2010
  1. Smash Br0
    OP

Member Smash Br0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm still pretty new at Wii hacking, so I've got a quick question:

Does the Wii ever force one to update? Or does it always ask if you want to or not?

I know some games will require an update to play if you haven't hacked around that problem...

Anyhow, if there is such a thing as forced, immediate updates, what do you do once they start if you don't want to update? Just turn the Wii off?

Thanks for any answers.

2. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    DO NOT TURN IT OFF! It will brick!

It will always ask if you wan't to update.

EDIT: The only way to stop a disk update is to either use Priiloader to skip disk-updates or turn the wii off before pressing "OK"!

3. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    It will always ask, even if you insert a newer game that requires an update?

Huh, I thought I remembered 'em not asking, and just updating as soon as you start such a game...

In that case, what happens if you choose "No?"

4. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    There isn't a "No" button. It's either "OK." or turn it off.

5. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you have a disc with an update that you need on your Wii, it will say wii system update in the disc channel banner instead of the game banner and if you want to play the game through the disc channel you will need to accept the update.

Preloader or Startpatch can enable a hack to skip the disc update completely. Other than that you can pretty much only update manually if you like set up your internet connection and it prompts you if you want to update or not (to which you can refuse) or if you have WiiConnect24 enabled you might get a message sent to your message board saying there's an update (which you would also have to select and say yes to)

So basically get Preloader and enable the skip disc update hack, turn off WiiConnect24, and don't accept updates whenever you configure your internet connection and you won't get updated.

6. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    Hey, it's nabster92! Happy New Year! It's been a while, huh? You might not remember me.

Anyhow, thanks for the info, guys. The last time I updated from a disc was back when SSBB came out, so I'd forgotten exactly how it went.

Since I joined here, I've so far:

- Installed the HBC
    - Installed BootMii to boot2, and made two NAND backups
    - Ran Wii Shop Channel Updater (took 14 tries before I figured out the problem was with my internet connection); installed IOS61- (without trucha) and updated the Shop Channel

I'm almost ready to move on to the next steps, probably Preloader next, and then... I dunno.

Hey nabster, do you still have that chat room for helping people? I forgot how to find it... You helped me out a lot back when I was just getting started, trying to figure out how to install HBC and BootMii. Your noob starter guide is great, as well (but some of the links are dead). [​IMG]

7. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yea that room I had is still there on the GlobalGamers.net server in the #GBATempNoobParadise channel which you can get to through any IRC client of your choice. But you might as well just send me an IM to my AIM or something since it's not like there's gonna be anyone else but me in that room anyways (AIM sn: nabster9288)

And about the links that are dead, do you mean the cIOS rev14 and wad manager ones that linked to Waninkoko's blogs? Those were the only ones that I saw didn't lead to the right thing so I just changed those to some Let Me Google That For You links.

8. alexcalibur

Member alexcalibur GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't have much to add, other than that sometimes you need to update to be able to play the game. In cases like this, you can use Gecko OS (it's a homebrew app) to start the game, and it will install only IOS the game needs, without updating the system menu.

9. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Hmm, are you so sure about that? I don't think Nintendo would have made the Wii that easy to brick. I've always thought they had a backup system. Personally, I've turned my Wii off during official updates on several occasions without any noticeable effects.