ROM Hack Does the talkie version of DOTT work on scummvmDS?

Jefklak

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I only own the non-talkie version of DOTT wich is about 14MB (7 zipped). Since the speech version is way more amusing and funny I'd love to get this one running on the NDS with ScummVM DS. But I don't know if you _can_ run the talkie version of Day of the tentacle? It's easy with monkey island I/II: there are no talkie versions. So, someone enlighten me about DOTT please?
smile.gif

Same question about Sam & Max Hit the Road

Thanks!
yaynds.gif

geolyte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it depends on the flashcard you are using,

ScummvmDS supports dott and sam & max talkie.

But some Flashcards only suppport ScummVM games up to 32mb

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been wanting to put all of these (& SCUMMDS) on one SD card for my SuperCard. I have to make time to do this. I never actually finished most of these games but I have them!

Jefklak

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Gah! No talkie versions on the G6 Lite?

I don't think so, but it COULD be, someone verify this!

I also found out this:

QUOTEv0.61 WORKS (Save games now work) SD version works using M3 Game Manager + a modified .ini file with the line "forcesramsave=true". Only works with games that you "bundle" with ScummVM in the SD version, limiting compatiblity to small games only. Cannot read games from flash card in the SD version.

from m3wiki.com. So, "small games"? SD version doesn't work with talkie?
I hope M3 lite does!

Jefklak

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes, for both.

Could you justify this please? According to someone I PMed on the boards, the talkie version is not supported by the DS because it's too large (267 MB). Has anyone actually succeeded in running the talkie version of any game?
blizeH: there's a no-talkie version of the game AFAIK. again: I'm not sure!
dry.gif

geolyte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
atm the dott talkie wont work on g6 cause of its 32mb limit, but today the g6 FAT lib was released so i think this will change...

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The talkie versions definitly work on SC CF and M3 CF. I tried DOTT, Simon the sorcerer and Beneath a steel sky. All work and save fine on my SC CF. Simon 2 doesn't work at all in ScummVM DS 0.61.

On the G6, only the non-talkie versions work with the ZIP-method. But that could change now that the G6's FATlib was released.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes, for both.

Could you justify this please? According to someone I PMed on the boards, the talkie version is not supported by the DS because it's too large (267 MB). Has anyone actually succeeded in running the talkie version of any game?
blizeH: there's a no-talkie version of the game AFAIK. again: I'm not sure!
dry.gif

CF supports talkie version, microSD not, cause you need to use the zip methode on the supercard lite

Reason:

on CF you make a dir and place the files in the dir, you place the small nds file on the CF and start the small nds file, this reads all data from the CF, so no need to copy the whole file to the internal memory of the CF and to the nds

with zipped methode (needed on the lite) the whole scummvm nds file + the whole game get's loaded into the internal memory (what is limmited to +/- 30mb)

this way it is impossible to use the talkie version of DOTT

This means if you add 2 games (non talkie versions) you can put both in the zip, each in its own dir, when loaded, both scummvm executable + the 2 games gets loaded into it

(u need to store, not zip the files in the zip or it won't work)

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All of the talkies I've tried worked just fine on my SC CF.

Really? I can get all talkie versions to work on except Simon The Sorcerer 2 on SC CF. It doesn't even work as non-talkie version on SC CF and G6L. It hangs with a black screen with the mouse symbol on the top screen and then nothing.

Which version of Simon 2 are you using that works?

accolon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
CF supports talkie version, microSD not, cause you need to use the zip methode on the supercard lite

Sorry, but you're wrong. I've been playing the Sam&Max talkie version from my SC Lite for about a week now.

It's very easy to do: just take the SC build of ScummVM (you have to use the .nds.gba file, not the .nds) and patch it with the Moonshell patcher included in the SC Lite software bundle. It changes the SD access routines to support microSD cards. The same method also works for DSOrganize, ReinMoon and of course Moonshell, and is likely to be successful with every homebrew application that supports Supercard SD and uses chishm's FAT library.

The talkie versions of the LucasArts games are a lot larger than the disk versions, over 300 MB in size. You can compress the speech file to MP3 which reduces the size (about 70 MB for Sam&Max) and is supported by ScummVM DS, but it can cause slowdowns and stuttering because the DS doesn't have enough power for gameplay and MP3 decompression at the same time.

Jefklak

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Very cool accolon, thank you so much for clearing this up! You also have to patch moonshell itself trough the moonshell patcher? Weird. Does beup work without changes?
I really hope this will also work on M3 Lite
smile.gif
We'll have to wait for that I guess. Is there any chance it'll work on G6 (Lite) since there's a new FAT library released?

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
accolon, that's interesting. Is direct saving to MicroSD also working or do you have to save to SRAM?

Bump, any info on this? Does the moonshell patcher work in such a way it allows read AND write with "all" homebrew? DS Organize seems to work, and it's pretty heavy on the writing, so I reckon it does ...

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
direct saving does work, for the supercard lite (which I have), all you have to do is patch the sc scummvm and then stick the folders containing with the game data onto the card as well, and scummvmds will run exactly like scummvm does on the pc. You run scumm, you tell it what folder to look into the game data, you run the game. It will create save files for you on your microsd the moment you tell it to save.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1