Hardware Does the rubber of the PS4 analogue sticks wear off quickly?

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I've been to several stores which had a PS4 kiosk and the controllers' analogue sticks were always worn out without any rubber left so I'd like to know from those who own it what's their experience with it?

I personally never had any controllers having its rubber wearing out and I'm now sceptical about the PS4 as it seems kinda common. I definitely don't want to have a PS4 controller in the future go like this: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ps4-control-pad-/171743343724

Edit: This seems to be a popular issue - http://community.us.playstation.com...-4-Joystick-Rubber-Wear/td-p/42208703/page/35

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
This was an issue with some launch ones it happened to mine and completely wore off the left stick and a bit off the right. I swapped them out for aluminium sticks but then my R2 cracked from normal use so I sent it back to Sony and had a brand new pad after 8 days. No issues since.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This was an issue with some launch ones it happened to mine and completely wore off the left stick and a bit off the right. I swapped them out for aluminium sticks but then my R2 cracked from normal use so I sent it back to Sony and had a brand new pad after 8 days. No issues since.

Good to know.

Mine has rubbed off just a bit.

The sticker on the back is pretty much white.

That's a pickle. Guess it's better to buy a thumbstick grip pads for the PS4 controllers when I get one.

31UiikjuTKL._AA160_.jpg

No, just internet bullshit PS44 controller are fine.

It's not internet bs, T-Hug and Adeka have confessed to have this issue as well as I've encountered controllers without the rubber in stores.

ATypicalSe7en

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they fixed that problem already as I got a launch console but after about 5 months of moderate play it had a small rip that kept getting worse. Had a conversation with a Sony service rep about it last year and they sent me a replacement after I sent them proof of purchase and the controller. To be safe I would get a cover for them like the on WiiCube_2013 posted.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I've got 2 controllers from launch, both are still in near perfect condition for me. I dunno if I just treat my controllers better than others or if I just got lucky though.

But replacements or new grips would be cheap to grab if you really think it might be a problem, but keep in mind those controllers in whatever stores were probably manhandled by hundreds of people since they've put the controllers out, they almost never replace them around where I live so it's probably been a good year and a half or so of use.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell mine is starting to wear a little bit. I am thinking I will have to replace them at some point. But not yet.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Kiosk units get far more use and.. abuse then normal PS4 units.

Kids are always wrecking things around them, this includes poor defenseless controllers.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the controller wears down.
The rubber on the sticks have start to come off on the bottom where i normally have my thumbs.
The serial sticker os pretty much gone.

But its pretty much all normally wear and tear.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My launch console ps4 controller had rubber wear off the L stick. I then bought a new controller in July last year. The rubber on the L stick came off by september. I then exchanged it for another one and by December the L stick had warn away again. Just last week I got it replaced for a third time and obviously so far so good. The actual controller feels a lot better constructed in general. The shoulder buttons feel more sturdy and so does the general feel of the controller, so I'm hoping this one is from the new and improved batch.

And for those wondering I hardly play my ps4 compared to a lot of people. I'd say on average 4-5hrs a week, mostly on weekends. And I have never once had a controller display such a constant defect as I have with the ps4 controller. Except for the sega master system's "plate" d-pad that would fall out.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My original controller's left analogue stick started to peel small strips and layers about 3 weeks after I bought the console. Eventually the side wore down and you could see the plastic underneath. Shortly thereafter, the stick started having issues where it would register i was pushing it slightly to the left even though it was centered and not being used (So my character would always want to walk to the left). I sent it in for repair as it was still under warranty and they sent me a new controller, which has gone without issue since then.

Reactions: marc00077

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.