Does the R4 have auto DLDI?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Man18, Dec 27, 2007.

Dec 27, 2007

Does the R4 have auto DLDI? by Man18 at 1:01 AM (1,363 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Man18
    OP

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I thought i remember something about auto dldi but im not quite sure if it does.

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Yes, it was added a long time ago.

3. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    I would still DLDI patch it just in case. The auto DLDI works sometimes for me and sometimes it doesn't. Besides, patching is only a minor effort, probably three seconds of your time.

4. Destructobot

United States
    I have not DLDI patched a single .nds file since autopatching was added to the loader, and I have never had a single problem because of it.

Nevertheless, if you want to do your patching manually DLDI Right Click makes it very easy (assuming you're using Windows).

5. sylux92

Member sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have problems with DSOrganize, it will no longer boot homebrew, which it did before r4ds auto patching was added.

6. Destructobot

United States
    As I recall, there was a seperate file (exec_stub, or something like that) that you needed to patch to get DSO to launch homebrew. I'm sure the R4 does not automatically patch that file, so you would need to do it manually.

That may no longer be correct though, I stopped using DSO quite a while back.

7. Man18
    OP

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I was having problems with some homebrew so i just got the newest version.

8. sylux92

United States
    Yes, he has a prepatched one on his website, but it still doesn't work. Im pretty sure it has to do with r4's auto patching. Other people expierience this issue also.

9. Destructobot

United States
    I've never tested it myself, but DLDI Right Click has an option to apply a DLDI patch and disable auto-patching.

10. sylux92

United States
    I dont see how that would work since the r4 firmware is the one that patches it, i dont see how that program could disable that.

11. Destructobot

United States
    All it would have to do is change the part of the .nds file that tells the R4 where to put the patch.

12. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    It works by basically "breaking" the file so that it cannot be patched anymore until you manually "fix" it. It's called DLDI noautopatch if you're interested in looking it up.

My guess with DSO is that the DLDI file the R4 autopatches with is different than the one used before that point. DSO launches files by using the DLDI file DSOrganize.nds itself is patched with. Try manually patching DSOrganize.nds with the old R4 DLDI file, breaking the file with DLDI NoAutoPatch, and then launching DSO.

It may work, it may not. The only reason I think it might work is because the same thing happened to me with Moonshell. After I updated my Supercard miniSD's firmware to get auto-DLDI patching, I could no longer launch files from within Moonshell. Letting it use the old SCSD.dldi file instead made it work again.