Does the PS3 Move enable gamers to read sign language with it?

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just last week Microsoft announced that the Kinnect will not be able to read sign language when it comes out in the fall and can't even be patched to enable it later. Don't be surprised if Microsoft gets sued for lying to us all along. And what about the Wii Motion Plus. Can that read sign language? I am so new to these motion sensored devices and would like to know if they can read sign language. Thanks.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smashdude said:
Just last week Microsoft announced that the Kinnect will not be able to read sign language when it comes out in the fall and can't even be patched to enable it later. Don't be surprised if Microsoft gets sued for lying to us all along. And what about the Wii Motion Plus. Can that read sign language? I am so new to these motion sensored devices and would like to know if they can read sign language. Thanks.
PlayStation Move and Wii both use controllers rather than hand motions, so no.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
smashdude said:
Just last week Microsoft announced that the Kinnect will not be able to read sign language when it comes out in the fall and can't even be patched to enable it later. Don't be surprised if Microsoft gets sued for lying to us all along.
If you brought Kinect from a retailer which said in the description it could read sign language, then sure you would be able to sue them.

As it is, no one would have any right to sue. No one said Kinect could read sign language, only that Microsoft's patent included sign language. Kinect is already expensive so god knows how much it would have been if they hadn't trimmed back the hardware.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
smashdude said:
the move uses a camera to track motion rather then a ir sensor, so it is possible

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would it be possible to patch later on? And Chaz please log onto MSN, Neogamma gives me error messages which i need your help with.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Joe88 said:
_Chaz_ said:
smashdude said:
the move uses a camera to track motion rather then a ir sensor, so it is possible
What?
I thought you just err... needed the controller? Isn't EyeToy something completely optional?

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So neither of them can read sign language then since they are not controllers. I hope kinnect can read signluage later on but I don't know how that is possible.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
smashdude said:
So neither of them can read sign language then since they are not controllers. I hope kinnect can read signluage later on but I don't know how that is possible.
Kinect will not be able to do sign language, ever!

This has been well documented. In the patent application it is known the resolution of the cameras were higher, enabling it to track fingers which they intended to use. Because they reduced the resolution of the cameras and also moved to software processing, it will not be able to read normal sign language.

If you want something that can do sign language, you'll need a specialized device.

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Webcams can do it on computer. What about if you lowered your hands and not fingerspelled. Then it's a possibility. I still think Microsoft should get sued over this because they PROMISED us SOMETIME that they would be able to read sign language with the Kinnect. Why not allow it at all? Some people are deaf you know (I'm not) and they can't use the headset for XBOX Live headset to communicate to gamers even outside the game. Kinnect better patch this error or else they will get sued.

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
_Chaz_ said:
smashdude said:

move uses the camera to track the ball on the controller, not the motions of the player.
for motion tracking via camera is the EyeToy Software series used.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse