Hacking does the PS3 fan make loud noise after CFW?

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
the only other game i noticed my PS3 fan is when i played the last of us in 2013 i think
i have PS3 slim

i recently installed CFW rebug 4.8.1 cobra on it, now many games sometimes i hear the fan from my PS3

is it because the CFW?

afriboy3072

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's because WebMAN is running in the background, you can disable it via the Rebug Toolbox or just completely delete it if you're not using it.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Disable dynamic fan control in webman settings.

Don't do this.

Or better yet, keep it enabled and lower the temperature threshold if it annoys.

Not a good idea either.

the fan is ON FIRE!

Funny but accurate!

Webman includes dynamic fan control. The default threshold is what the ps3 community thinks about a healthy temp for your ps3's CPU and RSX. Looking back at the records, plenty of PS3 systems die because high temps.

The fan noise is just a symptom. The disease stems from two sources:
  1. Sony designing a good cooling system but cost reduced it to its minimums. So the building materials of it are crappy and the thermal paste is the worst.
  2. You don't caring enough about your hardware. Keeping it clean and dust free.
The result of disabling the fan control or lowering the threshold is just killing the system faster. You have some options, some more permanent than others. I suggest:
  • Making a deep cleaning of the case and vent holes carefully
  • Keep the system away from heat sources (maybe a fireplace? A PC? Another PS3?)
  • Try to put the system vertical or in a place where its not surrounded
And if you are brave enough, do like I did and purchase a good quality silver thermal paste, dissasemble the whole system and carefully replace the old paste by the new one. It lowered 20º for my slim at full conditions.

The main objective is to leave dynamic fan as is, but not hearing the system a bit. Dynamic fan is the about the main feature of webman. It keeps the PS3 alive.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

YTElias

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Funny but accurate!

Webman includes dynamic fan control. The default threshold is what the ps3 community thinks about a healthy temp for your ps3's CPU and RSX. Looking back at the records, plenty of PS3 systems die because high temps.

1. Sony designing a good cooling system but cost reduced it to its minimums. So the building materials of it are crappy and the thermal paste is the worst.
The result of disabling the fan control or lowering the threshold is just killing the system faster. You have some options, some more permanent than others. I suggest:
  • Keep the system away from heat sources (maybe a fireplace? A PC? Another PS3?)
  • Try to put the system vertical or in a place were its not surrounded
And if you are brave enough, do like I did and purchase a good quality silver thermal paste, dissasemble the whole system and carefully replace the old paste by the new one. It lowered 20º for my slim at full conditions.

The main objective is to leave dynamic fan as is, but not hearing the system a bit. Dynamic fan is the about the main feature of webman. It keeps the PS3 alive.
woah im not into the ps3 scene but cool that i guessed it right

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't do this.

Not a good idea either.

Funny but accurate!

• Try to put the system vertical or in a place where its not surrounded

Question (don't mean to derail the topic) is it okay to leave the fans on at 50% all the time I don't mind the noise anymore.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Question (don't mean to derail the topic) is it okay to leave the fans on at 50% all the time I don't mind the noise anymore.
It's better to leave them to adjust. If the system needs more than that 50% (maybe not most of the time, or at the moment) it will not have that extra cooling to push the temps down to healthy values.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
What should it be optimal temps for a PS3? :unsure:

Anything below 60º C at full load is considered quite good. Your RSX should be a little colder than the CPU, 3º C to 5º C.

So a temp of CPU 58 C - RSX 55 C in full load is about as good as it gets (thermal paste swapping and all). Everything over 70º C is dangerous, giving up at 85 C to 90 C.

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Anything below 60º C at full load is considered quite good. Your RSX should be a little colder than the CPU, 3º C to 5º C.

So a temp of CPU 58 C - RSX 55 C in full load is about as good as it gets (thermal paste swapping and all). Everything over 70º C is dangerous, giving up at 85 C to 90 C.
Guess ill have to change my thermal paste, I get those temp but with my fans on 75% speed

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
temps vary. 70 degrees is not dangerous. 80 and above might be. also, the cpu and rsx temps depend on the size of each chip. I think a 10-15 difference is okay. you might want to set temp thresholds to around 65-68. you'll be safe there. fans can go out of control with webman mod. there's an option in there that could cause this. I've forgotten what it is though. try entering rebug toolboc, check the temps, then press start and select (think that's right) at the same time to see webman mod's. the temp's should be the same but with a much quieter fan. I did find a bug with rebug toolbox though. if it's left on idle for an extended period of time, the system shuts off; though, it could be webman mod causing this.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to have my fans at 50% constantly to stay under 65c which means mine is gonna need a reball soon, new thermal paste didn't help much. Mines a 25xx slim that might be why but I know for the phats it's going to output more heat from the cpu and rsx due to the die size.

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I have to have my fans at 50% constantly to stay under 65c which means mine is gonna need a reball soon, new thermal paste didn't help much. Mines a 25xx slim that might be why but I know for the phats it's going to output more heat from the cpu and rsx due to the die size.
I've seen many videos online, DO NOT REBALL.
do you even know why some people do that?
Because when the CPU die, the heating from 120 c will fix the CPU temporary, however reballing will require more than 160 c to melt the connectors.
Applying that much heat to the CPU will cause problems in the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there