Does the pre-owned and used market kill the gaming industry?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I used the lawnmower comparison to show that applying the same sort of ideas/restrictions to other products would be silly, but it seems that's not going over very well
Because the comparison breaks down very fast.
If books are a valid comparison, why not a lawnmower? I said "it's not going over very well" as in "people don't like to think that way", which is why I switched to books, where it's almost unavoidable to note the huge similarities.

I think that games are an art form... and just like there's 583,405 girls on DA making shit notebook sketches of flat-faced "anime" characters, there's tons of companies making shovelware where the advertisement doesn't even mention what genre of game it is because it sucks so bad. Then on the other hand, just like there's printed works that bring people to tears, many a teen cried when Aeris died.

Back on topic... of course the idea of expecting royalties to be paid every time an object changes hand is flawed. That's simply not feasible, which is why it's constantly ignored. But, if it is a right, then doesn't that mean selling a used book is ripping off the author?

I think these ideas are very dangerous. This is getting into the realm of controlling who is allowed to know what sort of information.

This is NOT my idea, the fact that an entire section of the US patent and trademark office is dedicated to recording the differences should show that, and also show how important of a concept it is.
It doesn't make the logic any less flawed. But then again their job isn't to use logic, it's to draw arbitrary lines and enforce them.
Their concern is with real commerce. Ideas that simply are not feasible don't fit into it, and so are ignored. We, as a society, choose to agree on other methods that can be done, then. Public/commercial deals can be feasibly controlled. Private deals rarely can without backlash (unless you get into socially-"bad" things like drugs and sex).

Reactions: 1 person

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's bootlegging with a slightly more limited supply.

Not according to (even the heavily-modifed to be pro-publisher at this time)copyright law. Darn those fair use and first sale doctrines! Now, if someone were able to play a game on their Xbox without the original disc... D'oh, mod chips! Yeah, they're indirectly helping people break the law. Just like VCR's, there's a lot that don't, though. You see people recording shows and not selling them but rather watching them at a later time. The copies are so awful compared to legitimate ones, that people wouldn't want to buy them, anyways! The real problem is when they go digital stuff like a HDD. ;)

What makes the idea an integral (and resellable) part of the storage in books is the first sale doctrine, which, ignoring completely the distinction of data and storage, says owning the paper gives ownership of the text as well, and the author can go soak his head.
Actually, the concepts of data and storage are the same but with different technology. Just ask the Catholics about archiving huge amounts of and old information. I think there's a 'few' famous museums and libraries in Vatican City. They practically invented copyright since you had to be authorized to even own many texts long before modern times. Weakening of those protections lead to the industrial revolution among other things. Rather that is good or bad for our species in the long run has yet to be seen, heh.

It's not logically inherent, it's legally defined that way.
All laws of this sort are artificial, though. And no, that's not trolling. It's the whole point of not letting a King decide the laws with no way to say no. It takes a society to create, enforce, and respect a given law. There are however laws that a reasonable person would say are 'natural' in the sense that rampant murder isn't something most people like to have happen to them and their families. The closer to 'natural' a law is, the easier it is to gain respect. This is based highly on intuition and instinct as well as cold, hard logic. Logic and reason are 2 different things - you can use logic to sidestep reason and instinct to ignore both logic and reason. ;)

There is a thing called a public lending right

Some quotes from that first Wikipedia article you mention:

"The first PLR program was initiated in Denmark in 1941. However, it was not properly implemented until 1946 due to World War II.[2] The idea spread slowly from country to country and many nations' PLR programs are quite recent developments."

"For a nation like Canada or Australia the majority of funds would be going to authors outside the country, much of it to the United States, which is unpalatable to those nations."

The USA doesn't implement this except in 'little Europe'. The 'PLR' would be misleadingly named if enacted here. The public in the USA already has a lending right. If this was enacted, it would restrict that after the law to protect the publishers. In countries where you don't inherently have a lending rightprivilege due to the way the law is written, this makes lending legal? This argument doesn't exist in countries like the USA where copyright is a lease on the public's rights and where owning the article (book/disc/system) gives you a right to resell it even if it has data (text/files/firmware) since you already paid for the right to resell in the (inflated) price of the article. By the way, there are machines that you can lease that have contracts that prevent outright purchase (effectively stops reselling). Any 'used' 'wetvac' of a certain famous brand is in fact stolen property since they never really sell them even to the store. Hardware that has a very limited application and exists strictly for proprietary software/data/services could also be 'sold' but be useless unless you have a license. Cell phones, for example are useless without the service. Many of them won't even let you access the 'free' functionallity (games/music/etc. on your SD card) without a SIM card but this is more because of firmware limits than any license. I imagine the automotive industry has some examples as well.

From an actual USA law school site instead of a stub article on a layman site, heh: http://cyber.law.har...and_Limitations

"Given the highly incomplete coverage of rental and public lending rights in the supranational agreements, it is not surprising that many countries currently do not recognize them. Of particular importance to libraries, currently only 29 countries have established public lending rights systems. Most of those countries are in Europe. The United States does not have one, nor does any country in Latin America, Africa, or Asia. " This article doesn't mention it, but PLR fees are a joke for most authors as it is. :( California does not a nation make - it really is like 'little Europe' with these types of laws that are similar to what you see in Europe. It's been about 4 decades and the rest of the nation hasn't followed along. Again, with Wikipedia, you need to read the references. That's less than $10K/year for all authors who collected. Ouch! Even with low enforcement, that's pretty sad. The overhead alone must take most of it. ;(

That's where the software licence comes in. It is legal and legally binding, and while rulings in various cases vary, they all say that "if it looks like a sale, it's a sale, if it looks like a licence it's a licence", and that if you at any point agree to the licence (by installing the software, if you were warned beforehand, or clicking on "I Accept" anywhere in the purchase or installation process) you are bound by it, including where it says "no resale", because that part of the agreement is legal.

And since software is licenced and not sold, neither the goods VS service issue nor the first sale doctrine apply, despite the tangible physical bits.

Having a license for software cover the resell of the hardware that you owned before agreeing is kind of funny. It's like having our cake and eating it too (for both the purchaser of the disc and the licensor of the software). The publisher wants to prevent users from keeping the installation and reselling the disc but since they sold them a physical device that holds the software... They're effectively wanting a license upon opening a book. There aren't a whole lot of books with tape seals that require you to agree not to sell them or even let others see the insides of them. Probably because they would be laughed out of court! The fact that there's an inconsistancy with software is due to the perception that any form of data is special just because of the physical format that it comes in. Books have to be interpreted as much as a computer program. It's not like either the brain or a CPU are passive devices. Either the license is tied to the disc, or the publisher just commited a type of fraud by selling a worthless disc and then being generous and giving you a license to prevent lawsuits/prosecution. There's a reason that most people have been suggesting that the physical should cost more but come with unlimited license transfers. The same reasoning would apply to a $5 single-account (Steam) version compared to a $15-$20 transferible 'GOTY' version of a game. But consumers would probably pay $20 for the $5 version and think they got the $20 'play anywhere, resell if you get bored' version and then get a big surprise.

Morally, the author deserves compensation for every person that gains access to his work
Says who? The author? The publisher? Certainly not tradition or the common practices in other (older) lines of work. You don't expect to get paid again for services or material goods that you keep benefiting from them or decide to give the benefits to a third party. When selling a car, you don't pay the mechanic another fee because they fixed the tail lights 2 years ago. I'm sure that mining companies would love to get a kickback on every time someone recycled copper - not to mention the people that recycled it before! Both of this jobs take skill the same as writing does so there is the basics of the moral situation. Limiting the access at a given time is what a book does. Thus, the concept of a number of copies being the determining factor on how much an author is owed. What's funny is that from a certain point of view, copying the software from the CD to computer's RAM and HDD are themselves a violation of copyright if they allow the original disc to still be readible by another computer. This ignores the fact that the disc is a useless form of the software without a copy in RAM and thus fair use provisions, though.

"chasing down every resale is impossible" Not really, if you force everyone to only trade through 'official' channels if they want to be legal. Namely, eBooks since you can simply deny them the right to transfer it to another device rather the other laws allow it or not simply because of the standard interpretation of the DMCA that ignores it's own compatibility provision or first sale provisions of the other laws. Rather this is worth the effort is another matter - people probably don't want to pay $20 (same price as hard cover) for leaseware. Publishers release multiple formats for this very reason.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, the lawnmower analogy when applied to patents would be similar if the company wanted to get paid for the patent license every time you road or when you sold it. You can only do that with the kinds of models that 'wetvac' companies and Net10 and the like use. In most states, once you've sold it, it STAYS SOLD unless the sale itself was illegal. Say, stolen goods, or a patent violation like Kodak/Polaroid.

http://www.techdirt....432910745.shtml HAHAHA, I knew it. It took me a while but someone IS trying to get a claim on future sales of a physical good!

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120315/22541318119/how-much-todays-copyright-mess-is-due-to-bad-definitions-word-copy.shtml
Interesting... We might be better off with a copyright topic, LOL.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If books are a valid comparison, why not a lawnmower?
Because you can't download a lawnmower.

But, if it is a right, then doesn't that mean selling a used book is ripping off the author?
Buying, actually, and it depends on what you're buying it for (we're talking about morals here). If you haven't read it before and you're buying it to get the text, then yeah, kind of. If you've read it before and you're buying it just to have on your shelf then no. If you're buying it to, say, carve sculptures, then not at all. But that's the difference between the novel itself and the paper it's printed on.

It would be nice to have a "donate" button to donate a dollar to the author if you liked the book but didn't come across it via a means that pays royalties. And in an ideal world there would also be a "punch in the face" button for books like Twilight. One can but dream.

I think these ideas are very dangerous. This is getting into the realm of controlling who is allowed to know what sort of information.
Come now. That's slippery slope fallacy and you know it. There's a difference between saying an author has a moral right to be compensated for their work, and 1984.

Their concern is with real commerce. Ideas that simply are not feasible don't fit into it, and so are ignored.
That's not really contradicting what I'm saying. The law doesn't stop at the logical extent of the issue it regulates, it stops at a point where it's feasibly enforceable. That also means you can't apply the boundaries of the law when examining the logical implications of another issue.

Not according to copyright law. Darn those fair use and first sale doctrines!
And that's why software is licenced, not sold, and the first sale doctrine doesn't apply.

The public in the USA already has a lending right.
The "public lending right" refers to a right of the author, not the public. If that law didn't exist people would still have the right to lend books. The law just says/acknowledges that compensating the author in a small way is the decent thing to do.

Having a license for software cover the resell of the hardware that you owned before agreeing is kind of funny.
But it's legal. Also, you're not buying the hardware, you're buying the software.

There aren't a whole lot of books with tape seals that require you to agree not to sell them or even let others see the insides of them. Probably because they would be laughed out of court!
Nope. In fact it is well within their right to slap a licencing agreement on the book saying "this book is not sold, it is on extended lease." Poof, reselling forbidden.

Says who? The author? The publisher?
Morals? Common decency?

Certainly not tradition or the common practices in other (older) lines of work.
Other, older, completely different, entirely unrelated...

the disc is a useless form of the software without a copy in RAM
My point exactly.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, might as well close this one. I highly doubt anything will change. TL;DR version is Veho thinks software should be granted profit on all transactions and I don't while Rydian is saying that paying again for software after every sale is like charging a patent license fee every time you resell a lawnmower which Veho is saying is different than copyright license fees. I think we pretty much derailed, blew up, crushed, recycled, rebuilt, and resold the topic train. ;)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
TL;DR version is Veho thinks software should be granted profit on all transactions and I don't while Rydian is saying that paying again for software after every sale is like charging a patent license fee every time you resell a lawnmower which Veho is saying is different than copyright license fees.

And alphamule is twisting everyone's words.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If books are a valid comparison, why not a lawnmower?
I have no idea what you mean here.

Come now. That's slippery slope fallacy and you know it. There's a difference between saying an author has a moral right to be compensated for their work, and 1984.
You're presenting the idea that it's wrong to deal with a used book in order to gain the information inside it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I have no idea what you mean here.
I'm illustrating the difference between a novel and a lawnmower.

You're presenting the idea that it's wrong to deal with a used book in order to gain the information inside it.
Only in the sense that it's wrong to pirate a game in order to gain the information inside it (as you put it).

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To get back on topic. The problem with the gaming industry is that its hurting itself.
They should do like every other goods and make it less durable. Maybe put a DRM that will autodestroy the game after a certain time.

Really game makers should just review their whole business models. What was profitable yesterday will not be tomorrow. Used market, digital distribution and DRM management are just part of the equation. The licences you talk about do not exist in china.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they make buying used games illegal, than it should be a requirement that old games are still produced and buyable. And I mean NES-Today. EVERY old game.

They don't want -used- sales.. That means I should be able to go to the store and buy Azure Dreams.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr