Does the Nyko Power Pak+ deliver on its promise?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Tempbot, Apr 1, 2011.

Apr 1, 2011
  1. Tempbot
    OP

Contributor Tempbot Tunnel Snakes rule

pip
    United Kingdom
    Does the Nyko Power Pak+ deliver on its promise?
    ARS Technica has reviewed the powerful replacement battery for the 3DS and they’re impressed.
    The most anticipated peripheral for the 3DS is undoubtedly the Power Pak+ from Nyko which purports to double the console’s meagre three or so hour battery life.

The fine folks over at Ars Technica have put the device through its paces and are pretty happy with the results.

They tested it on a system with every power-draining feature like screen brightness, 3D effect and sound cranked to the max and this is what they concluded:

With the stock battery, you’d be lucky to get three hours out of these conditions.

The Nyko battery lasted five hours and forty minutes. Well done! This was accomplished under punishing conditions; if you turn off WiFi, use headphones, turn power save mode on, and dial down the brightness a few notches, you suddenly have a system that’s ready for long flights or marathon playing sessions. For $20 this is a great addition to your system, even if the black coloring looks pretty goofy on the aquamarine 3DS.”

The downsides of the battery are that it’ll add more weight and mass to your system and it’ll no longer be compatible with the default cradle. Despite these issues, the article still gave it a “Buy” verdict.

You can find the full review, steps to installing the device and lots of lovely photographs here.

After having a quick glance at the big online retailers it doesn’t look like the Power Pak+ has a European release date yet. Though its technically already out in the States (both with and without a functioning docking station) demand seems to be outstripping supply with Amazon, Target and Best Buy’s websites either out of stock or backordered.

Hopefully Nyko will rectify this by getting more manufactured and sent to stores near you as soon as possible.

Source

Contributed by compfaqz

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    This isn't really news, is it? [​IMG] I mean, it's just a review. It should be in the 3DS section.

3. ZeroTm

Member ZeroTm GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hope best buy or futureshop sell those.

4. Nottulys

Member Nottulys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was gonna get one of these also..

5. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    So it lasted an additional 5:40 on top of the 3DS's? Or does this completely replaces 3DS's battery? So how long would the system last with no wifi, headphones, power save mode, and low brightness?

6. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Since it double the battery life, I assume that the minimum the battery can last with everything turn on to max.

It replace the battery.

3D last 3-5 hours

I assume now it last 5-~8 And ds games 8-~10.

Mind this is all assumption.

7. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Not worth it when you have to carry your 3DS around in a bag with that bloody thing.

8. KingVamp

United States
    O_O It isn't that bulky .... [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I would say that it would increase the thickness to that of a DSphat. Not a problem for me, considering I've been using my DSphat since release.

10. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    It is Freaking Massive

11. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Oh, hi there hyperbole.

12. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    It doesn't add that much thickness to the 3DS from my PoV. I think I may invest in one when the dock comes out.

13. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    The 3DS barely fits comfortably in my jeans, the original DS required me to carry it in a bag or a coat, any sort of pocket bigger then jeans. So unless you wear huge baggy pants, which I don't, having it the thickness of the original DS is a no no for me.

14. machomuu

United States
    Wow, really? I've never met anyone who had trouble fittinga DS Phat or 3DS in their pockets.

15. KingVamp

United States
    Mine ds phat fit fine in my pocket without being baggy. Maybe because I'm taller than you or just pick the right pants.

Maybe my comfort just differ.

16. machomuu

United States
    I don't think height is the problem since I cold fit one in my pocket when I was 8 years old.

17. princefarzan

Member princefarzan GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Does anyone know where to buy the nyko power pack from a online retailer that ships to canada/internationally? I went to amazon but they said that it doesn't ship to my address. Was wondering if there were any other online retailers that sell it.

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    About the size, I'll just say to people "deal with it". You ever walk around with your PSP (outside of the Go) or a DS Phat in a pocket? Yeah, it still looks awkward, even in my super-comfy loose jeans with big pockets. Plus most of the time, if you're going out, there are things that will probably take higher priority in your pocket than a gaming system (like your phone, wallet, music player, etc). If you're going somewhere where you'll have time to play games in that span of time, you can probably just a backpack or something with you.

19. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    ...and unlike Ninty, the PP+ isn't retardedly region locked for no reason