does the new Wii consoles are still safe to softmod ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kano, Dec 17, 2011.

1. kano
    OP

Newcomer kano Advanced Member

Malta
    Hi,

like the title says Im just wondering if these new wii consoles (the smaller wii version without the gamecube and memory card ports) are still safe to softmod
    mostly the part were you need to downgrade the system menu from 4.3# to 4.1# as thats the best SM imo, as I dont want to end up with a bricked wii in the future if I happen to softmod one
    I dont know if this question has already been asked but please if you know some information on it I would be gratefull if you point me in the right direction

thankyou folks

2. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    yeah its ok. my friend has a new wii and its haxxed fine. if boot 1 still had a vernerablility and boot 2 was v2 then you could perposely bick your wii then download a file then it would in stall sm4.1u and live happily ever after

3. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    WTF? There's NEVER a reason to purposely brick your wii to change menus. Just get a wad manager or a tool like Wii-Mod or MMM and use that. Also, the boot2 version doesn't matter for bootmii. You can install bootmii with any version of boot2, as long as the wii is old enough to have the boot1 vulnerability.

As for modding the new wiis, yes they can be hacked without issues. Mod it like you would any other wii. With the exception of the missing GC ports and a drive that won't take minidiscs, these wiis are identical to a normal one. They run the exact same software as a normal one.

4. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    :blink:
    (my analogy is like)
    yeah its ok. my friend has a new car and it runs fine. if it can take it you could purposely crash you car against a tree and then you can take it to the auto body work shop and live happily ever after.

5. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    The only thing these new Wii's cant do is restore a nand (they cant use bootmii@boot2 and bootmii@IOS requires a GC pad to restore the nand).

However, the solderpoints for the GC ports are still there, so its quite possible to add the ports.

6. kano
    OP

Malta
    Ok so assuming I use the same methods so far used with modmii but skipping the cmios as it is not necessary I will be safe
    because I was fearing that nint had an added security to the console and it would brick your wii if you tried to install SM 4.1 as it is the most used

but thats a relief hearing its still the same ol thing

thankx a lot

7. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Fun fact: The new Wii's still got mios installed... But yeah, it doesnt do much :P

8. kano
    OP

Malta
    btw have anyone noticed on a softmoded wii when you open a channel and cycle trough the channels with the + button eventually it will freeze ?
    at least happens on my wii, dont know why :/

9. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    AFAIK that happens with certain custom channels only. ie. my Wii64 forwarder channel does that