Does the new Red & Black DS Lite have cheap parts?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by cruddybuddy, Sep 14, 2007.

?

Does the DS Lite that comes bundled with Brain Age 2 have cheaper parts than the other colors?

1. Yes, I can confirm this because I have the red & black DS Lite and also another color and the re

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I can confirm this because I have the red & black DS Lite and also another color and the re

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, I can confirm this because I have the red & black DS Lite and also another color and the re

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I have both the red & black DS Lite and another color and the directional pad works the same

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, I have both the red & black DS Lite and another color and the directional pad works the same

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't know. I don't have both a DS Lite and a DS original or I have not tested the problems listed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cruddybuddy
    OP

Banned cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

United States
    I have one of the new red & black Nintendo DS Lites, the one packaged with Brain Age 2, and since I've never owned a DS Lite before, I don't what to think about a couple of issues I'm having.

First, the directional pad is not as responsive as my original DS. If I press a direction like up and then move my thumb to press diagonally, sometimes still registers the movement as up until I over compensate. I almost have to stop pressing up a little and then press diagonally instead of rolling my thumb right or left. Also, if I press the directional pad in a clockwise motion, I can hear and feel a clicking in the pad. This doesn't not feel smooth or normal.

Second, I was playing the new Tingle game and I noticed the whole screen gets a shade darker when the screen scrolls. For example, when you move Tingle left or right, the background scrolls, and the black edges of the trees and bushes all "ghost" a little, making the screen get a tad darker while moving. I tested this in my original DS and there is no noticeable difference in the background when the screen scrolls.

If anyone else has a red & black DS, can you confirm these issues? Also, if you have a different color, are you experiencing similar issues?

2. shadowboy

Member shadowboy :D

United States
    D-Pad on all DSLs is effed up, use a toothbrush and scrub out the corners to make it work better. As for ghosting... try some other games too, I don't have my DSL anymore, so I can't test with tingle, but I assume that the Red+Black is not made w/ cheap parts.

3. ceraphis

Member ceraphis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a red and blacky, and its the prettiest dang ds lite ive owned. Oh, and btw I have gone through original DS, two white ds lites, pink ds lite and black ds lite, and I think this one is the best. I know i sound like child but im serious.

The only minor niggle is that, much like many have complained about, there is a little yellowing on the bottom screen. Only thing is, it is only noticeable if you look at the screen at an extreme angle....at absolutely no other time is it that noticeable. the black ds lite i traded in for this one, in contrast, has a yellow screen all the time no matter what ytou do on the bottom.

D-pad IMHO works better than all ds lites Ive owned. L/R buttons are better. No ghosting. Fun times.

I think the problem with all this talk about bad ds lites and such, is somehow ds lites have started to have a higher...erm....niggle rate. whereas i think nobody had anything bad to say about launch white ds lites, except for the eventual hinge crack, things have popped up in higher frequency over the ds lifespan.

4. ridgecity

Member ridgecity GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    I have a 3 DS lites, a launch white, a pink, and a new red & black. The only difference between the White and the others in the viewing angle. And my white one's top screen feels less sturdy, and it has a crack since month 2, but Mexico didn't get that "trade for another" policy.

i f you want one, get it, it will give you no problems whatsoever, buttons and screens are good with no ghosting. and the buttons do feel better than the white one, specially the pad, it feels a little loose on the white lite.

5. dwkennedy

Newcomer dwkennedy Newbie

United States
    My red/black and white DS Lites directional pads work just the same, if anything the red/black is better. However, I have trouble going diagonal on both pads, but that's "normal" for the DS from what I've heard.

6. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    I'm using one of the brain age crimson/black systems now as well (the touch screen on my modded case ds lite died this week [​IMG])

if anything, I'm more impressed with it. for one, the touch screen appears to be a lot more sensitive than my previous ds lite. additionally, I think that it was a brilliant move for them to go with a matte finish on the black portion (no more fingerprint issues) instead of the glossy paint job that the black system has.

7. cruddybuddy
    OP

Banned cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

United States
    For the record, I returned the DS Lite to the store and got a new one. The old black & red DS was indeed broken. The new one works great! (The D-pad that is. I haven't checked the screen yet, but I can live with that.)