Does the NDS Browser truely NEED the RAM pack?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by CPhantom, Jul 11, 2008.

Jul 11, 2008
  1. CPhantom
    OP

Member CPhantom The Noob :(

United States
    I was wondering if the NDS Browser actually NEEDS a RAM extension. Some of these homebrew browsers run pretty swell without an extension to them, so why does the Opera browser? Has this been experimented with, or is it just something not capable of within the community?

2. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    The browser uses a lot of memory. Even if you could hack it to start up anyway, there'd likely be significant problems.

3. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    well, I've been looking around and if I read this correctly, there is a patch to get the Opera browser to work without the ram pack...does anyone know where to locate this patch at?

EDIT: Unless I am seeing that patch for 3rd party things such as 3-in-1 or something? gah...

4. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Yes the patches are for the 3 in 1 and other slot 2 cards such as the supercard lite/rumble !

I really genuinely don't think there is a patch for the opera browser to work without a slot 2 ram expansion of some sort , just buy one and you will be much happier as you will have access to not only the browser but gba games/homebrew and other advantages .

paul

5. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    yeah, I was thinking I would be having to do that. I liked a lot of the GBA games, so I might as well anyway.

thanks ^^

6. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Yeah, I've never regretted getting my 3-in-1 for only £10! Rudolph makes tons of apps for it as well which are really useful.
    Definitely worth buying.

7. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    you can probably load approximately 5 normal pages without ram-expansion.
    0.5 if it includes images.

8. Apache Thunder

Member Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

United States
    Yes but the differance there is that homebrew won't force you to have a slot-2 expansion card since if the homebrew uses a lot of memory when images enabled, then the homebrew will just tell you that you need to upgrade, but would startup anyway but with images disabled.

You can turn off images in the Opera Browser, but the browser doesn't do it on its own so I guess Nintendo just decided to force people to have the expansion over people using it without the benefit of images.

I can't see why you can't hack the Browser to always have images turned off, and then hacked to run without the ram pack. Then it would run just fine!