Does the firmware of the Wii even matter when hacked?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Augusta, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Augusta
    OP

Member Augusta GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Does the firmware matter after it's been hacked?
    Do older firmwares like 4.1 offer more than 4.3?

After hearing about letterbomb I'm getting a wii, but if the wii is below 4.3, what's stopping anyone from just staying up to date?

tl;dr - Do firmwares 4.0/4.1/4.2 etc offer something that 4.3 doesn't?
    Off topic. Why not stay up to date?

Thanks!

2. BloodWolfJW

Member BloodWolfJW Marotheit

United States
    Personally, unless you've done some crazy modding to your wii, like install some custom IOS or SNEEK or something, I don't see why not update. I like to stay up to date myself, so I had 4.3 a long time ago, however, I also had SmashStack to hack my wii, so, you know, LetterBomb was nothing to me.

3. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Not really as long as its above 4.x its fine, from what I remember 4.0 introduced access to the sd card from the main screen, 4.1 and 4.2 were game fixes and 4.3 was a piracy fix.

As long as your above 4.0 your fine

4. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    If it's softmodded, any update might kill the homebrew channel or other things.

If your wii is hardmodded with a modchip, it doesn't matter, since the update won't do anything to it, you can still burn a game on dvd, put it in the disc drive and it will read.

5. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    4.2 didn't fix anything, it just region locked games, blocked BB1, overwriting bootmii as boot2, installed stubs, removed old versions of the HBC and DVDX, and bricked region changed Korean Wii's. 4.3 did the all of those and more, again without offering any new features.

Personally I am against updating to 4.2+ as it offers fewer methods of unbricking, and the update is just dangerous.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "game access from SD card".... beacuse WAD installers did not exist before then (it a glorified shuffle that the menu does)?

What game did 4.2 fix? 4.0 had a minor thing with wii sports resort (dodged simply by not playing a wiiware/VC game beforehand) that 4.1 fixed.

To this end I say find whatever version has the sort of hacks you want in priiloader or such progams and go with that. To this end most wiis I hack stick at 3.2. Edit forgot about the new wiis (most people I hack wiis for still have DVD capable ones) needing IOS60 in slot 30.

7. JoostinOnline

United States
    That's dangerous for new Wii's if you don't install IOS60 to slot 30.

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    The Wii has 2 processors and at all times, there are 2 things running. On the system menu it's the system menu and its IOS. On games, it's the game and the IOS the game requested. And when playing with an usb loader, it's the game and the cIOS. So to answer your question, when loading a game from usb, the "firmware" does not matter. Well, the region does matter a tiny bit when playing import games, but that's mostly relevant for japanese from/to another region, PALNTSC-U is fine from the software point of view.

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    My bad I should stop doing this reply on autopilot. Some quick editing.

10. stev418

Member stev418 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    4.0 added SDHC support so we got to use up to 32gb cards instead of the 2gb limit, pretty much the last firmware that added a feature, all other IOS and channels can be updated individually via homebrew apps. I use 4.1 just because of the wii sports resort bug fix, but even thats pretty meaningless as others have pointed out.

...oh also if you are using letterbomb your firmware will need to be 4.3 anyway

11. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    yes, but it's kind of useless with the 20 channel limit.

People with modchips should stay on a lower SM. 4.0 or lower.( for the region free thing/ compatibilty ).
    4.0 was the only SM worth updating for.
    If you are using USB loading, just can use ANY firmware you want. Only the cIOS is of importance.

I have an older Wii, and I'was on 4.1 most of the time. Now I'm on 4.3, No problems.
    So only if you have import games, or a modchip the SM would be relevant.
    Just make sure the IOS on your Wii are present / up to date when running retail/ Wiiware games.

People with newer Wii's, stay on the latest.

12. JoostinOnline

United States
    Fixed it. 4.1 didn't prevent region free, that was 4.2.

13. stev418

Member stev418 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    *scratches head* well the SD menu doesn't have a 20 channel limit :\ true the nintendo storage solutions are far from ideal, and sadly that doesnt look like changing