Hacking Does the DSi-Mode option rest on the firmware of a card?

El Dimentio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question is this, assuming that DSi Mode eventually (probably will) gets cracked and we can start using the extra RAM and CPU, would access to these extra resources require yet another flashcard change or would this be achieved solely by an update of the flashcard's firmware?

I'm guessing the earlier but hoping it's the latter... the reason for this is that I want to buy an iPlayer but I don't want to buy it and then DSi mode gets cracked and I end up with an obsolete card once new ones supporting the mode are released.

Thanks!

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the iPlayer can't play any commercial ROMs, so you don't want that anyway if you intend to play games on it.

ivobhz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Actually, he never mentioned playing ROMs. I think he chose the iPlayer because of the extra hardware it already has and adding this to an eventually DSi mode cracked, he could gain a lot in hardware means.

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know he didn't, just making sure he knows.

Furthermore, it's doubtful that the iPlayer could be used along with the extra hardware of the DSi since there is no SDK released so nobody can program for it.
Plus, how long was since the last update? It wouldn't surprise me if it was already abandoned.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Given thats a product from team supercard so i assume it will get its share of the update after a few months later

EDIT: who knows that might give us a surprise together with EOS
smile.gif

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
elixirdream said:
Given thats a product from team supercard so i assume it will get its share of the update after a few months later

smile.gif
but it doesn't support roms and it has homebrew soft reset, given that the gba emu was 3rd party
what really needs updating?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
mercluke said:
elixirdream said:

smile.gif
but it doesn't support roms and it has homebrew soft reset, given that the gba emu was 3rd party
what really needs updating?

This.

Just because a card doesn't get frequent updates doesn't mean it's dead.

El Dimentio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was actually planning to use it for the GBA emulator
rolleyes.gif
It's the only way I'll be playing those games again on a handheld (besides buying an older DS model or a GBA) :/

But yeah, I'm just curious on what path would need to be taken to achieve DSi-mode compatibility once it finally gets cracked: a brand new flashcard or simply a firmware update.

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

Well, then you may want to wait for the SCDS2 because the GBA emulator on the iPlayer doesn't seem to be THAT great (one that thing that could be updated, for example). Of course, we don't know how the one on the SCDS2 will be.

Finally, since we're talking iPlayer updates, I'm just going by what I'm seeing. Can you be sure it will be updated to use DSi mode if it's possible? I wouldn't be, since the cart doesn't get much support. Does it yet support some some basic features that a "media player" should have, like folder support for music and such?

El Dimentio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sfg said:
QUOTE said:

Well, then you may want to wait for the SCDS2 because the GBA emulator on the iPlayer doesn't seem to be THAT great (one that thing that could be updated, for example). Of course, we don't know how the one on the SCDS2 will be.

*cancels order just in time* Well ... the payment was still not accepted so hopefully I'll get my money back in Paypal !! Gosh, you saved my life there!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P7mAPWYcgE