Hacking Does the arrival of HENkaku dethrones 3.18 as the best firmware for hacking?

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Given the possibilities opened by HENkaku on 3.60, is there still a reason to stay on 3.18 or higher?
I suppose it won't be long before a PSP bubble will be available, and I wonder if we'll have a PS1 emulator that can rival with TN-X performances.
What the savvy of the forum think about it?

Dr. Dew

Trophies
XP
Country
Sudan
If it is easy to use as the site describes then I dont see why not. HENkaku can only help the
vita scene at this point by granting access to native homebrew on the most up to date
vita firmware.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So once we get the PSP emulation back and a PS1 emulation worth of TN-X, there would be no reason to stay back? The Vita will be as open on 3.60 as it has never been on previous firmwares?

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there's a way to dump game content on 3.60 b/c it requires the email hack. That's relatively niche though.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With 3.60 and filesystem access among things like native code execution, my guess is that someone will figure out how to get CFW running in ePSP via other means or by figuring out how to downgrade the whole PSP emulator back to a version which works with CFW.

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can we do a manual update by using the qcma trick. It works for the 3.60 firmeware? If yes i dont see reason to update now until see the hack running without trouble and with good emulators.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There is one thing I don't understand (among many others :P): what made the TN-X superior to the other PS1 emulators? Was it because of the different exploits it could get advantage of on lower firmwares? And does this mean that the superior exploits allowed by HENkaku will allow the creation of another PS1 loader as good as (or superior to) TN-X without too much trouble?

grafate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is one thing I don't understand (among many others :P): what made the TN-X superior to the other PS1 emulators? Was it because of the different exploits it could get advantage of on lower firmwares? And does this mean that the superior exploits allowed by HENkaku will allow the creation of another PS1 loader as good as (or superior to) TN-X without too much trouble?

TNX is great as you can load PS1 from a menu loader. So if psp and ps1 games are important to you than I would not update yet until something advances with henkaku. I see others say just get a psp cfw but the vita just has far superior controls than a psp. And a nicer screen. And I think there is a false hope where some are comparing it to the 3ds scene. The 3ds scene had so many more devs pitching in and that made cfw advance quickly. Not something we see on the vita side.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
TNX is great as you can load PS1 from a menu loader. So if psp and ps1 games are important to you than I would not update yet until something advances with henkaku.
Yes, but I was wondering more about the technical aspect of the story. Would HENkaku facilitate projects like perfect (or almost-perfect) PS1 loaders?

CoreMessageInspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, but I was wondering more about the technical aspect of the story. Would HENkaku facilitate projects like perfect (or almost-perfect) PS1 loaders?
the developers doesn't support that (meaning : they don't want to do it but it can be done) but it seems that we have a kernel exploit with HENkaku so it is a matter of time i think :)

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The PSP has a media processor (hardware) that works on PS1 sound in order to offload some of the resources needed while the rest of the system runs the PS1 one game.

The PS Vita doesn't have that processor and PS1 sound is processed by the Vita's media system while the rest of the emulation (backwards compatibility really) is processed by the ePSP.

So when you run a PS1 in eCFW there is no sound because the PSP media processor doesn't exist and we cant access the vita side of the system to do the audio neither, only psp functions hence eCFW = no PS1 sound, developers came out with a sound pluggin that was buggy and never really developed that great.

Then Total Noob came up with TN-X which hijacked a PS1 game thus granting the whole PS1 functions on the vita making it possible to have a %100 accurate sound.

Edit: Before an smartass comes and corrects me by not using the proper terms, I read this from the devs themselves a long time ago and I don't remember the exact terms used but the whole explanation is the way I described above.

Last edited by Tony_93,

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
But but firmware 3.18 has Playstation 1 games with sound... Having a portable PS1 in your pocket is baller, and also the dealbreaker for me updating to use HENkaku....

Hopefully a backport to 3.18 will come around. If it doesn't, then it's only rejuvenate for me.

A retroarch PS1 core running natively would be nice though....

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The PSP has a media processor (hardware) that works on PS1 sound in order to offload some of the resources needed while the rest of the system runs the PS1 one game.

The PS Vita doesn't have that processor and PS1 sound is processed by the Vita's media system while the rest of the emulation (backwards compatibility really) is processed by the ePSP.

So when you run a PS1 in eCFW there is no sound because the PSP media processor doesn't exist and we cant access the vita side of the system to do the audio neither, only psp functions hence eCFW = no PS1 sound, developers came out with a sound pluggin that was buggy and never really developed that great.

Then Total Noob came up with TN-X which hijacked a PS1 game thus granting the whole PS1 functions on the vita making it possible to have a %100 accurate sound.

That was a terrific explanation, thank you so much!
In your opinion: is it only a question of time before we'll have a "native" PS1 loader? Now that we can access the file system, I suppose complicate procedures like the TN-X "hijacking" won't be required anymore.

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ATM if you have 3.18 i say its superior to Henkaku, simply because Henkaku is relatively new.
Once Henkaku advances in a few weeks-months, then it may at some point dethrone 3.18 and have all of its main features (plus way more obviously).

So if you have a 3.18 vita and enjoy PS1 and PSP iso loading, stay at 3.18!
If you want/can, purchase a second vita for 3.60 to use Henkaku.

If you can only have one system...i recommend staying with 3.18 for now and updating to 3.60 later once all the 3.18 "features" have been unlocked through Henkaku.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was a terrific explanation, thank you so much!
In your opinion: is it only a question of time before we'll have a "native" PS1 loader? Now that we can access the file system, I suppose complicate procedures like the TN-X "hijacking" won't be required anymore.

You still need to take controll over that part of system functions tho, HENkaku is a native vita hack that is not related to the PSP/PS1 side of things.

Example: The WiiU has a virtual WII inside, we have a kernel exploit on the Wii U but it doesn't make it any easier to install Wii's homebrew channel, you still need to get a regular Wii exploit (Smash Bros Brawl) to install it.

Now, having complete control of the filesystem makes things a lot easier for developers but we still need someone to get a hold of a PS1 hack.

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think there's a way to dump game content on 3.60 b/c it requires the email hack. That's relatively niche though.
Actually smoke just modified Molecular shell to give access to other partition, currently dumping a physical game as i am writing this but we only have read access to the other partitions, ux0 and ur0 are the only 2 we can currently modify which for the most part, is all we really need.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually smoke just modified Molecular shell to give access to other partition, currently dumping a physical game as i am writing this but we only have read access to the other partitions, ux0 and ur0 are the only 2 we can currently modify which for the most part, is all we really need.

do you happen to have a link to this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...