1. MrGreenMaro64

OP MrGreenMaro64 Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I'm really scared for my Wii U's safety. Nintendo has released a new Wii U update, and I'm really scared that my Homebrew could potentially brick it.

For anyone wondering, the Homebrew I have is just the Homebrew channel accessed through the web browser way and Loadiine on it. I don't have Haxchi.

Is my Wii U safe?

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    no, it's safe. if you had cbhc, which I guess you don't, it might revert the system back. that's the system.xml iirc that's the file that enables it. it's part of 5.5.4 firmware, so it will revert back. no bricks though. you just have to reinstall cbhc. haxchi and everything else should be okay.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. MrGreenMaro64

OP MrGreenMaro64 Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Thanks! I would just like to ask, what does it mean for the console to revert back?

4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    it will be as though cbhc isn't installed. it's part of 5.5.4 firmware, so I assume it will update the system.xml if you haven't updated in a while. it won't affect you.

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

I updated with CBHC earlier and it didn't uninstall. If you're updating from 5.5.4 (5.5.3 for non-EU regions) to 5.5.5 the only noticeable difference will be that you're on the latest firmware.

godreborn likes this.
  6. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I don't know what was updated with the system.xml. you can get the file from a nand backup if you have your otp.bin. I looked at the file, and it's very small, not much info.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

there's a file that it's replaced with, so cbhc doesn't use your actual system.xml. it's in the same path (forgot the name of it, but it's on the root or nearly the root of the nand). it renames your original system.xml, then creates its own, so I probably should've looked in the original one.

Deleted User likes this.
  7. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Confirmed, updating 5.5.3 CBHC US WII U to 5.5.5 worked flawlessly. No data lost, all titles and homebrew in tact. And I have odd things that one might question if they'd get overwritten or mess something up like the vWii also being hacked and having a custom vWii menu, as well as a custom Wara Wara Plaza. Yet all these changes remained in tact and did not interfere with the updating process. Seems to be quite safe to update to, at least on CBHC when moving up from the last firmware.

Last edited by MikaDubbz, Mar 3, 2021
    tfocosta and alexander1970 like this.
  8. Undwiz

Undwiz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am on 5.5.1 ... any reason to update ?

9. alexander1970

alexander1970 Jodelhoiti....

Austria
    Good Morning. 1tee.gif

No.:)

If you are happy with your Wii U,you will miss nothing except the cool Number 5.5.5.

Oh,but wait,you have a modded Wii U...so,no,you also miss the cool Number.:P:lol:

tfocosta likes this.
  10. Undwiz

Undwiz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yeah thats what I thought ..... just pulled it out the closet for my kids a few weeks ago ..... didn't think it changed a thing ... unlike how my switch does need new firmware to play new stuff ....... just got a PS4 phat at pawn on 7.02 for $180 the other day... have not sent payload to it yet tho ... just been sitting here .... going to mess with it tomorrow ... I have upgraded the drive to 4tb cutting out the metal cage to make room and what not ...

11. Tipo_Qualunque

Newcomer

Italy
    To upgrade from 5.5.4 to 5.5.5, do I need to uninstall cbhc first or can I upgrade directly?

12. Undwiz

Undwiz GBAtemp Fan

United States

as I asked , really no need to upgrade .... nothing will be better ... it is pointless to update .. I am on 5.5.1

13. Bomberman82

Bomberman82 Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Hmm hi dear Community,

i upgradet and funnywise my don´t working WAD Games runs :) ok i have just one "Doc Luise Punch Out" and i don´t have the possibility to make it run because i just broke up my vWii, but everything looks normal like always. Haxchi is booting normal Games runs looks ok.
    One thing my Versionnumber is 99.9999.99 or something like that?!?.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Homebrew, update, system