Gaming Does Steam require PSN?

Praxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, I am currently on jailbroken 3.56. Enjoying various homebrew and emulators (having trouble getting MAME to work, but that's another story). I signed out of PSN a few minutes after jailbreaking (a day or two after that jailbreak came out) and haven't signed on to PSN since jailbreaking (have been able to confirm that my PSN account is still active through

So...Portal 2's about to come out. My primary location of play will be on the PC and my MacBook Pro; a Steam purchase covers both.

However, my understanding is that the PS3 version comes with a free Steam copy. So I may purchase the PS3 copy and then get the Steam copy.

Will I need to sign in to PSN to do this? And if I do, will I be banned?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't imagine you'd need to sign into PSN.
I would imagine you'd just get a CDkey for a PC copy, or similar.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You are going to need to link your PSN account to your Steam account in order for you to receive that free Steam copy - so yes you are going to need to sign in to PSN. And to my understanding Portal 2 requires firmware 3.60 in order to even boot.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need your PSN logged in, however you need to tie it to a PSN. If the PSN is logged on, you won't be able to log on to the PC Steam Portal 2 and visa versa.

You have to do some sort of registering (tie) on your PSN, and not a file download like EA Online thing. If you don't tie it in, you won't be able to use it on PSN or Steam (at least for Online mode)

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Portal 2 has been confirmed to require 3.6. So you're basically SOL anyways.

If you BUY the game it works this way

1) You get a PS3 Portal 2 disc to play
2) You get a serial key to input into Steam on the PC side to activate that copy
3) You log into PSN and link it to your Steam account

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=5477-WPJM-9388

You do need to link the accounts in order to access the PC version it looks like

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: