Hacking Question Does ReiNX crash significantly more often than Atmosphere?

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with this? I have been using exclusively Atmosphere since it was released and I recently bought a new sd card, so when I switched I decided I would give ReiNX a try for a few weeks. I think I have been using it about two months now and I have noticed that it seems to crash a hell of a lot more than Atmosphere.

I've tried a few things but nothing makes a noticeable difference. Just for some context, I had rarely crashed under Atmosphere, maybe once every few weeks. With ReiNX my Switch crashes at least once every time I am using it, and sometimes it will crash repetitively while I am doing something (for instance, a few times in a row when I exit a certain homebrew app or whatever).

Any advice or similar experiences? Does anybody have the inverse of this situation? Thanks in advance for your replies.

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Idk about ReiNX. What is the advantage of using ReiNX?
One reason I was using it at the beginning of this was because I wanted to use the "incognito" homebrew and Atmosphere does not allow it, so you have to boot into reinx to apply it, and then you can reboot into atmosphere. I just thought I would see if there was any difference in everyday use. Really there hasn't been any real differences (in my use case) except for that it seems to crash a lot more often.

Reactions: pLaYeR^^

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It includes stuff like sigpatches or some homebrew applications. In the end it should not make much difference for the end user but that you get "all inclusive".

reinx isn't atmosphere + homebrew + sigpatches. It's completely different code altogether, I've not used it but it could be less stable.

If you use it because it's all inclusive then you've missed the point, it's mostly about creepy anime schoolgirls.

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
reinx isn't atmosphere + homebrew + sigpatches. It's completely different code altogether, I've not used it but it could be less stable.

If you use it because it's all inclusive then you've missed the point, it's mostly about creepy anime schoolgirls.
I said end user.

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got crashes when accessing the hbmenu while a game was loaded, beyond that, I don't get crashes outside of normal game crashes that everyone experiences on certain games. Games that have constant frame problems like Ys VIII and XC2 and Last Remnant.

Reactions: charlieb

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's entirely different for the end user except that you have all inclusive?

Creepy anime & it behaves differently (i.e. crashes) because it's 100% different.

Seriously, if you're running reinx because you think it's an all in one atmosphere then you've missed the point.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Creepy anime & it behaves differently (i.e. crashes) because it's 100% different.

Seriously, if you're running reinx because you think it's an all in one atmosphere then you've missed the point.
The thing is you say it's sooo different for the end user but all you say is creepy anime.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The thing is you say it's sooo different for the end user but all you say is creepy anime.

And the crashes, AFAIK it doesn't support emunand which atmosphere does.

It's entirely different code with different features. It's like saying Open Office and Microsoft Office are the same to the end user.

If you must have an all in one of atmosphere then use Kosmos. Although atmosphere is always updated for new versions of Horizon before anyone else, so you're better off just getting that and the signature patches separately.

Last edited by smf,

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've used both extensively over 2 systems and have never crashed a single time. What the heck are you guys doing? :P
Sounds like you're in the minority then. If you search the forum there are quite a few posts regarding ReiNX crashing, along with a few suggestions to alleviate it. I would suggest that if you have had a different experience regarding stability than other users, there are many things that could affect this.

Maybe your FW version is different, certain versions of atmosphere may work better or worse with certain version of horizon os. The homebrew use case may be different. The background services you have running may be different. There's plenty of reasons you may have a different experience depending on use case.
And the crashes, AFAIK it doesn't support emunand which atmosphere does.

It's entirely different code with different features. It's like saying Open Office and Microsoft Office are the same to the end user.

If you must have an all in one of atmosphere then use Kosmos. Although atmosphere is always updated for new versions of Horizon before anyone else, so you're better off just getting that and the signature patches separately.

Thanks for the response, I'm not sure if you are talking directly to me, but no I am not using emunand, and mostly just wanted to give rei a try because I had not before now and kind of out of laziness. As I said in my earlier reply, I decided to start using incognito and AFAIK the easiest way to get past the permissions issue is to boot Reinx to do so.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by smf,

sTo0z

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you're in the minority then. If you search the forum there are quite a few posts regarding ReiNX crashing, along with a few suggestions to alleviate it. I would suggest that if you have had a different experience regarding stability than other users, there are many things that could affect this.

Maybe your FW version is different, certain versions of atmosphere may work better or worse with certain version of horizon os. The homebrew use case may be different. The background services you have running may be different. There's plenty of reasons you may have a different experience depending on use case.
Sure.

My reply wasn't a jab. I was actually curious what activities people were up to.

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sure.

My reply wasn't a jab. I was actually curious what activities people were up to.
I just figured maybe you were a less experienced user and answered accordingly. If I seemed brisk, I apologize as I am not really much for small talk.

Although I have had several different error codes, I searched a bit more today and found that one may be related to having a corrupted titledb possibly caused by installing the DevMenu NSP that was floating around a while back (probably over a year ago).

Because it has been quite a while since I did that, I don't really remember if I was having a similar frequency of crashing under Atmosphere before I messed around with DevMenu, or after but it was certainly rare enough that I didn't consider it a problem, at least before I started to use reinx.

IDK if I am on the right track, but if you are interested I will keep you posted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: