Does R4i-SDHC works with ReiNAND 4.0?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by swnny, May 6, 2016.

1. swnny
    OP

swnny Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2016
    I'm about to order a R4i-SDHC DS flashcard (this is the only model available here):
    http://i.imgur.com/h3b4tKY.jpg

But searching around, I find mixed opinions if this flashcard will work with my current setup: NEW 3DS, sysNAND 9.2, runing menuhax + emunand 10.7.0-32E and ReiNAND 4.0

Any help is appreciated!

2. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    well it should

3. swnny
    OP

swnny Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2016
    Sounds promising. But should it work directly from ReiNAND, or I have to use SysNAND?

4. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    It should work in emuNAND.

5. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    if it shows an icon on the screen then you should be able to run it fine.

if that doesn't work, you probably need to downgrade the whitelist/patch TWL_FIRM. Luma3DS CFW does this automatically (this is recommended and the easiest method); if you prefer not to switch from ReiNand you can find CIAs online for the whitelist and patched TWL_FIRM.

there is also the Slot1 launcher which requires the TWL_FIRM patch, if downgrading the whitelist and patching alone don't work.

Last edited by ihaveamac, May 6, 2016
    astronautlevel and Tomato Hentai like this.
  6. swnny
    OP

swnny Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2016
    Thank you for the answers, everyone!
    I ordered it, should be here next week. Hope it's ok.
    One more question, does this flashcard supports GBA roms?

7. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    No.

8. swnny
    OP

swnny Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2016
    I see, thank you!
    So what's my options to run GBA roms with my current setup?

9. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Install injected GBA Virtual Console games.
    Or if you're on a N3DS, download retroarch and install the gpsp cia.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  10. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Isn't the VC GBA injection inherently better than the emu? I heard the emu lags a little with sound... I can only imagine it being useful for savestate/speedhack features, and AGBSAVE9 can dump .sav saves from AGB VC injections.

11. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    I've never tried it becuase I don't have a N3DS. On my o3ds, VC works perfectly fine while emu is slow.

12. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    I'll give it a shot, although I can't imagine it being any better than running GBA on "Native" hardware!

13. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    Nothing can be better than running on a GBA SP :P

CrispyYoshi likes this.
  14. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    The original GBA model with a backlight installed! Some (very few) game packs are designed specifically for the original model!

Joking aside, the 3DS does actually underclock itself to replicate GBA hardware. I'm not sure if it can even be called emulation at that point!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I just gave gpSP a shot on my non-XL N3DS! Metroid Fusion (JP) is running at a solid 59.xx fps (basically 60fps). There's some scanline issues (I'm using the latest stable build!) and the audio is a bit more crackly than VC injection is, but it's perfectly playable otherwise!

I'd still recommend VC injection, but this one does have a lot more customization, due to it being a retroarch emu! (And this is only testing one possibly-outdated build + one game, so take that as you will)

Last edited by CrispyYoshi, May 6, 2016
  15. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    Did you use the cia version of gpsp? It has dynrec which speeds up emulation a load.

16. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, it was the .cia version. I'm on A9LH 10.7 sysnand, by the way.

I'm trying out mGBA right now. It has significantly better audio (probably on-par with VC) but it seems to dislike mode 7-like effects (or perhaps just multiple sprite-position updates): It lagged at 30fps when the X were getting absorbed in Samus' body during the opening cutscene. The scanline issue is still in mGBA, but it isn't as bad as it is in gpSP.

EDIT: Just got to a dark area, and now the windowing effect is causing a drop to 50fps.

Last edited by CrispyYoshi, May 6, 2016
    Seriel likes this.
  17. swnny
    OP

swnny Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2016
    I will give cia gpsp a try, but you lost me for one thing:
    Does NEW 3DS not supporting VC injections for GBA games (in EmuNAND), or it's just better to use gpsp, because of savestates and suspend?

18. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    GBA injection works on every console, whether or not you use EmuNand.

However, if you are using emunand, you will have to patch your SysNand AGB_FIRM (Luma3DS does that automatically) and you will also have to install your GBA VC to both SysNand and EmuNand. (Or just SysNand)

If you're using an older version of FBI, make sure you install your games to "SD" and AGB_FIRM to "NAND". I personally recommend VC because it's much more accurate than emulation, but you will not have savestate/suspend features because of that.

Like System Settings, closing out of official GBA VC will cause a system reboot, but if you have A9LH this won't really be a big deal.

19. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    Yeah on my o3ds mgba is super slow. I don't much like it.
    I tend to try using gpsp and if it wont work then i'll do gba vc. (o3ds means emulation is slow lol, but vc is fine because hardware reasons)

CrispyYoshi likes this.
  20. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Honestly, the only thing preventing O3DS from running the emus N3DS runs is because of the way the emus are coded. It would probably take a lot more work to manually create speedhacks while keeping it accurate/true on a per-game basis, when the devs can just use the powerhouse N3DS has to take an easier way out. You should see the N3DS SNES emus by the way. They actually run better than the ones for PSP: it's pretty nuts!

Seriel likes this.