Hacking Does playing Wii games on FAT32 or WBFS make a difference?

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hatsu said:
No. But from fat32, there is no special formatting!

I prefer WBFS! Good old WBFS Mangers!
Yeah it's more of a memory management and accessibility preference. I can now have all my ROMS for my emulators, Wii games, and cover and disc images on one partition that's accessible on Mac or Windows with no WBFS manager needed.

yas78687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just one question guys, im converting my iso's over to wbfs in 2gb sections with wbfs_file simple gui, and was wondering if i should copy all the partitions from the iso, just the game partition or copy 1:1 from the iso? does playing via fat32 work on all of these methods?
also, should i use cios222 or cios249? as i have 249 installed right now... :/

regards,

Yas

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
yas78687 said:
just one question guys, im converting my iso's over to wbfs in 2gb sections with wbfs_file simple gui, and was wondering if i should copy all the partitions from the iso, just the game partition or copy 1:1 from the iso? does playing via fat32 work on all of these methods?
also, should i use cios222 or cios249? as i have 249 installed right now... :/
regards,
Yas
4gb split size works fine too and gives you less files.
Don't use the 1:1 copy option, that's really not needed. Use either all partition or just game but just the game partition is all you really need.
You must use cios 222 or 223 for loading from fat. It doesn't work with 249.

yas78687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks alot oggzee! and thanks again for the fast reply
biggrin.gif

will get to it then and all the best
smile.gif

Yas

yas78687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just another quick question, I am using a fat32 hard drive with no partitions, and it already has non-wii content on it like music and movies... if i use this for the external hard drive for the wii, have the .wbfs games in the /wbfs folder, will the wii backup loader or anything else format my hd at all? or when i install new games onto it via the wii?
just wondering as i dont want to lose my stuff on it needlessly lol, and was a little worried since Gaf's guide mentioned the need for a fat "partition", and as like i said my ext hdd is just one standard fat32?

regards,

Yas

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yas78687 said:
just another quick question, I am using a fat32 hard drive with no partitions, and it already has non-wii content on it like music and movies... if i use this for the external hard drive for the wii, have the .wbfs games in the /wbfs folder, will the wii backup loader or anything else format my hd at all? or when i install new games onto it via the wii?
just wondering as i dont want to lose my stuff on it needlessly lol, and was a little worried since Gaf's guide mentioned the need for a fat "partition", and as like i said my ext hdd is just one standard fat32?

regards,

Yas
Yes it should work fine. Just have the .wbfs files in the wbfs folder. USB loaders won't touch any of your non-Wii data.

OlivierTheBest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just another questions :

Does the USB LOADER (GX for me) WII function which allows to transfer the content of an original disk to the hard disk works with both CIOS 249 (I know it works for CIOS 249 and create directly a backup on WBFS partition) and 222 (Does it create a .wbfs file ?).

Thanks

Olivier

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OlivierTheBest said:
Just another questions :

Does the USB LOADER (GX for me) WII function which allows to transfer the content of an original disk to the hard disk works with both CIOS 249 (I know it works for CIOS 249 and create directly a backup on WBFS partition) and 222 (Does it create a .wbfs file ?).

Thanks

Olivier
I think it all depends on your hard drive format. FAT32 you can only use 222 and get .wbfs files. WBFS you can use 249 or 222 but only get .ISO files.

TrainerAbu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wa ..?

When I play New Super Mario Bros. Wii as a wbfs file on my FAT USB thing in the FAT version of Configurable USB loader, there's slightly longer load times or something that cause glitches sometimes .. sometimes when you play a level or take a pipe, you can't move for a few seconds. My brother and his girl kept getting mad from that happening in a ghost house where if you don't move the ghosts hurt you, and we couldn't move during that time cuz of the pause from the game having the glitches it has when I run it from a FAT formatted USB thingy ... but when I have it formatted to WBFS completly, those issues aren't there ... but yeah :3.

yas78687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks EeZeEpEe! Much appreciated!

now I just need to install cios222 except nus downloader doesnt work for me LOL :/

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yas78687 said:
Thanks EeZeEpEe! Much appreciated!

now I just need to install cios222 except nus downloader doesnt work for me LOL :/
lollllllllllllllllllll
tongue.gif
use the cios222 installer

EnioMarcos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
TrainerAbu said:
When I play New Super Mario Bros. Wii as a wbfs file on my FAT USB thing in the FAT version of Configurable USB loader, there's slightly longer load times or something that cause glitches sometimes .. sometimes when you play a level or take a pipe, you can't move for a few seconds. My brother and his girl kept getting mad from that happening in a ghost house where if you don't move the ghosts hurt you, and we couldn't move during that time cuz of the pause from the game having the glitches it has when I run it from a FAT formatted USB thingy ... but when I have it formatted to WBFS completly, those issues aren't there ... but yeah :3.

When I play New Super Mario Bros as a wbfs file on my FAT USB in the FAT version of Configurable USB loader there is not lag nor freeze nor glitches...

Maybe because my faster HD or becouse this HD is dedicated to Wii's Stuff and without fragmentation...

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have used NSMB on both FAT and WBFS partitions and neither had any performance issues, so it may have just been a hardware issue.

As a side note, I do have an issue where a fat drive tends not to be mounted correctly sometimes, where as when it had wbfs it worked 100% but not a big deal.

Elfish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
same here.
i'm currently moving my big game archive to fat32 and .wbfs files i wonder what loading the game list will be like then
smile.gif

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I moved to fat32 using cfg loader a while ago now and i can say ive seen no noticable difference between the performance using wbfs or fat32, although i haven't tested all my games yet (400+). Loading the gamelist from FAT32 is as quick as WBFS using cfg loader as long as u switch the hdd info off.(It doesn't calculate the free space) Have not tried FAT32 with GX.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night