Does PC have region-lock?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by SlyGuy, Jul 19, 2007.

Jul 19, 2007

Does PC have region-lock? by SlyGuy at 7:56 PM (1,389 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. SlyGuy
    OP

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I will soon be buying a new laptop in Canada and I'm going to take it to France. Will I be able to play PC games that I buy in France on my laptop? What about DVD movies that I rent? Thanks!

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    No region lock.

3. UncleChuckle

Newcomer UncleChuckle Advanced Member

Canada
    You'll be able to run any games from anywhere in the world. You're only problem will be the difference in power supplies, so you might need a converter or a new supply.

As for DVD, it'll be set to the region you bought it in. However, you have two options.

1) All DVD drives in computers have a limited number of region changes (usually 5), so you can change it to your region.

2) There is software out there that makes the system go "Region? Who cares about regions?" (DVD Region Free is the one I have.)

There is a third option, which is seeing if you can find a firmware to make your DVD drive region free, but that's a lot of aggravation for very little reward.

4. SlyGuy
    OP

Canada
    Thanks! That sounds like a great solution for DVDs (the second one)!

5. noamkot

Newcomer noamkot Advanced Member

Israel
    One major problem though... Most laptops are not strong enough to play many of the newer games.

6. UncleChuckle

Newcomer UncleChuckle Advanced Member

Canada
    Not always true. If you buy one of the ones with a good onboard graphics processor. I can run most of the current crop of games on my Dell, and there's laptops out there with far better specs.

But yes, be careful. If you wind up getting something with shitty Intel Extreme, you'll be screwed.

7. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
  8. SlyGuy
    OP

Canada
    I'm thinking probably top of the line HP with an independant graphics processor rather than a 'gaming' laptop.

9. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    There are games that are "language locked"
    Some games won't let you install unless your Unicode language setting is not something. I only have encountered the ones that required me to change my setting to "English(U.S)" in order to install/play the game, but there could be French suckers who make you do that too.